Number of Kills

I am 2 missions away from completing SM1 (for the first time since 1991) and have acquired 300 kills thus far. I'm estimating my total at the end of SM2 will be well over 450. I was wondering how that compared with what other guys in the forum have done. Anyone?

BigsWickDagger said:
I am 2 missions away from completing SM1 (for the first time since 1991) and have acquired 300 kills thus far. I'm estimating my total at the end of SM2 will be well over 450. I was wondering how that compared with what other guys in the forum have done. Anyone?

On my most recent playthrough (Kilrathi Saga, last August) here are the numbers:

Wing Commander I: 159 kills; that's 26 Salthi, 34 Dralthi, 40 Krant, 23 Gratha, 22 Jalthi, 4 Dorkir, 4 Ralari, 3 Fralthi and one Starbase.

Secret Missions I: 223 kills; that's 22 Salthi, 12 Dralthi, 64 Krant, 52 Gratha, 42 Jalthi, 2 Dorkir, 6 Lumbari, 6 Ralari, 8 Fralthi, 5 Rapiers, 1 Exeter, 1 Drayman, a Starbase and the Sivar.

382 total at that point, counting the kills from the last missions in each game, which don't transfer.

Secret Missions II: 170 kills; that's 38 Salthi, 40 Dralthi II, 31 Krant, 13 Gratha, 20 Jalthi, 10 Hhriss, 3 Snakeir, 3 Dorkir, 3 Ralari, 5 Fralthi and 4 Rapiers.

552 kills total.

(Horribly detailed spreadsheet available upon request. :) )

Hey, nothing wrong with keeping track of your progress! I've been maintaining a journal with entries made for each mission I complete. I record, among other things, the mission type, what ship I flew, who my wingman was, how many kills he/she got, and how many kills I manged. I don't generally break it down into fighter types, but I've kept an accurate record of capital ship types and numbers. On the harder missions I'll outline my successful strategy for future reference if need be.

You bagged 159 ships in WC1? You sir are a mad man :cool: ! I read somewhere that there are only 160 or so total possible kills in WC1. So, I gotta ask, did you let your wingmen "play through," or did you keep them on a short leash and grab all the goodies for yourself?

BigsWickDagger said:
You bagged 159 ships in WC1? You sir are a mad man :cool: ! I read somewhere that there are only 160 or so total possible kills in WC1. So, I gotta ask, did you let your wingmen "play through," or did you keep them on a short leash and grab all the goodies for yourself?

194 possibles on the path I took - I failed Kurasawa, we all know why. :rolleyes:

As far as wingmen, I sent them home as soon as they'd listen, just to keep them alive to talk to me in the bar. There were times when I replayed a mission not because I failed it, but because my wingman bit it.

(I really started to hate seeing "Avenge my planet, for I cannot..." and the like.)

warlock said:
194 possibles on the path I took - I failed Kurasawa, we all know why. :rolleyes:

As far as wingmen, I sent them home as soon as they'd listen, just to keep them alive to talk to me in the bar. There were times when I replayed a mission not because I failed it, but because my wingman bit it.

(I really started to hate seeing "Avenge my planet, for I cannot..." and the like.)

I'll venture a guess and say it had something to do with a lone Ralari and the four Gratha guarding it? :D Hey, nothing wrong with that. It is one tough mission. I've only beaten it three times. My wingman was killed in one attempt, so maybe I should lower my actual success count to two.

Wingmen seem to be a variable in the WC series that each individual player has to decide how to deal with in the manner most appropriate to their fighting style. I replayed WC about 2 months ago, and by game's end my wingmen had accounted for 18 kills to my 132. A rather large disparity to be sure but, nonetheless I found them to be invaluable on several missions. Even if they simply tied up one or two enemy fighters, they often times gave me then breathing room I needed to complete the mission's objectives and make it back to the Tiger's Claw. Yet there is a flip side to the coin.

Some wingmen almost require a babysitter to keep them out of trouble. You can order them home, but there are many instances when they refuse the instruction, remain engaged with the enemy, and actually make the mission harder than it needs to be. That is of course assuming that you want said wingman to make it back to the 'Claw alive, lest you find the dreaded KIA scribbled next to their name on the chalkboard.

I feel like it requires a balancing of mission objectives and compassion/ego for lack of a better description. No one really wants their wingman to die (excepting Maniac of course) so keeping him alive becomes as much a part of the mission's objectives as everything else. Maybe he/she steals a few kills here and there but that, as they say, is the Price of Freedom. :D

I had over 200 in my best run through the original game. I don't recall what the exact total was, but I'm in the slow process of replaying it again. I'll have to remember to save a screen capture of the killboard this time.

BigsWickDagger said:
So, I gotta ask, did you let your wingmen "play through," or did you keep them on a short leash and grab all the goodies for yourself?

If possible, I always send them home.

Yeah, the kill cap in WC1 depends heavyly on the path. There is probably a way to wiggle a longer path and accumulate more kills. Not to mention that losing path missions are usually harder and more creative.

If I recall correctly (not that I'm advocating it) but if you shoot down the ships that sometimes are flying around the Tiger's Claw when you take off/land, you get those kills added to your total. Could be wrong about that, though.

Wow . . . shooting down your own CAP to get a better killscore. And, in WC1, they don't shoot you down for it. Wow! Brilliant!

Mission Tree

I can't remember the exact path, but I think kill scores are maximised along the route: 1 -> 3 -> 8 -> 5 -> 7 -> 9 -> 10 -> 12 (assuming one wants to reach the winning ending).

I have a listing of my maximum kill scores from WC1, WC2, Privateer, and WC3 at home. But IIRC, Blair can accumulate over 1200 kills by the end of SO2. :)

Wing Commander
WC1: 24 Missions 219 Kills 5 Bronze 7 Silver 3 Gold
SM1: 16 Missions 281 Kills 2 Bronze 1 Silver 1 Gold
SM2: 16 Missions 268 Kills 2 Bronze 2 Silver 3 Gold
Total: 56 Missions 768 Kills 9 Bronze 10 Silver 7 Gold

Vengeance of the Kilrathi
WC2: 31 Missions 243 Kills
SO1: 19 Missions 183 Kills
SO2: 19 Missions 158 Kills
Total: 69 Missions 584 Kills

WC1/2 Total: 125 Missions 1352 Kills

Privateer
Priv: 322 Missions 1611 Kills 3468493 Credits
Priv+RF: 649 Missions 4121 Kills 7715678 Credits
35 Hunters
1038 Kilrathi
2040 Pirates
1008 Retros

Heart of the Tiger
38 Missions 764 Kills

Strike Commander (Only played it once)
407 Ground Kills
397 Air Kills

I haven't had time to finish off WC4 lately. :(

Woo, quite a list. :)

I never kept record of the games where I wasn't on the "only winning path", so you must have bet me at least in WC1.

And wow, you killed more Kilrathi than Retros in Priv/RF? That surprises me.

About that Ralari mission--there is a simple trick that worked for me. Slow the spaceflight down as slow as it will go (8.0) with ALT-N. That way you have more time to react to that annoying sound of the Ralari's armor getting trashed. Things are always better when you take it slow. Plus, this is not cheating. Trust me, this makes most missions much easier.

Back