Now this is how you design a supercarrier.

Concordia

Swabbie
Banned
Okay, the Hakaga had lots of guns, but they were useless on capships, had lots of armor, heavy-duty shields, 288-fighters, 3 fly through bays in such a way so that the front and back part could be separated with internal access corridors to shift fighters from one bay to the others in case one was disabled, and armor-clad engines. She could also use any jump-point.

Problems? Pitifully slow!

Next, you got the Vesuvius, now she's got even heavier armor, shields that could even repulse torpedoes (in the game at least), 400-fighters. To make it better, she's got good acceleration, and has a respectable rate of speed (if 150 is correct), and superb maneuverability (in game-- hey, I'm selective here: I take the best specs of all them and pick-n-choose!). She was also designed to be able to go head to head with capships, and for this reason is equipped with AMG's (14 of them), and torpedo tubes. She's also designed to be immune to the flash-pak atmospheric-ignition weapon.

Problems? Only one flight-bay (and I mean flight-deck, not hangars on both sides), and the insides of the flight-deck were not immune to the flash-pak, meaning that a person could pull a fast one, fly into the flight-deck and lay one of these babies off. The only thing you'll hear after that is lots of screams, and one big boom! She also lacks the gatling-launch system the Hakaga has, which made missile runs extremely difficult.

Finally you got the Midway: She's really versatile and can perform lots of peace-time roles in addition to it's regular war-time functions. She also carries 6,000 marines on board and the shuttles that carry them-- which are heavy duty shuttles, not those little shoe-boxes with engines you see in the WC3 and 4-games. She has a new launch-system which has two main hangars on either size, with receiving bays for each one. The fighters can be loaded into three launch tubes on either side (total of 6). Fighters can be launched as long as a tube remains clear. She also has missile-launchers. She has shielding typical of star-bases as well. She can utilize any jump-point as well.

Problems: Her speed absolutely sucks, her armor is paper thin, and her shields can be penetrated by certain fighter-mounted guns (the Dev's plasma-gun). She has no anti-capship armament except some capship-missiles, which are really nice, but they're as ancient as f-ck and they're easy to shoot down. Her fighter capacity is nowhere near that of the Vesuvius, and less than the Hakaga.

Now here's how you design a super-carrier.

Give her lots of fighters... lets say 400
Give her lots of armor... lets say 4,000
Give her some shields that can repulse torpedoes
... some good big guns: 21 AMG's
... some good medium sized guns: 16 triple heavy-particle cannons, 24 triple-lasers.
... lots of smaller guns: 32 double turret particle guns, and 32 quad-mass-driver turrets.
Add some torpedo tubes...
Add some gatling-launch tubes, let's say 12.

Make her fast... 150 or better kps
Make her maneuverable: 7/7/7 DPS
Give her some nice acceleration.

Give her 3 fly-through flight bays which can be divided off in the middle to prevent fly-throughs, and put big armored doors which can be closed over the flight-deck to keep fighters from entering them, or throwing a flashpak in. If possible, make the flight-deck (floors and ceilings at least) resistant to a flash-pak, and make sure that shields can be erected that can cover the flight-deck when fighters are not being launched.

Bury the engines in the frame and armor-clad the nozzles like the Hakaga.

Give her some serious hangar space to carry lots of big shuttles and stuff too...

Make her versatile so she can do many things, such as reverse-engineer a wicked alien gun, give her a science-team.

Put lots of marines onboard

Give her some slick looks

and give the bill for this sucker to someone else!

-Concordia
(partially in gest)

Your method of creating a good carrier is giving it good statistics... brilliant! :)

Except for the 3 fly-through hangars part, I'm very much put in mind of the Star Wars Imperial Star Destroyer. Can handle capships OR fighters, carries a crapload of its own fighters, AND can transport and deploy a small army.

Not poking fun, just noticing the similarities.

I've re-thought the new super-carrier design and my new design has the following specifications.

DESIGNATION
Enterprise-Class Supercarrier (Cheesy, but Enterprise is a bad-ass name!)

FIGHTER CAPACITY
-400 WC4 Fighters
-Provision for WCP sized shuttles and such
ESTIMATES
-40 Shuttles
-X Marine LC's

LAUNCH BAY ARRANGEMENT
-Two straight through launch bays (that means flight-decks LOAF)
1.) Flight decks must have doors which can cover the flight-deck's entry and exit.
a.) Doors must be twin layered (two sets of doors on each side), 2,000 cm of armor each (total 4,000 cm)
b.) Doors must be able to be closed rapidly (under 2 seconds preferable, but 3 seconds will do just fine) and opened in the same time.
-Flight-decks must have shields which cover the flight-decks (not just the magnetic barrier).
1.) Shields are of same strength as rest of carrier.
2.) Shields are disengaged during recovery and launching.
a.) Forward shields can be disengaged independantly of Aft shields and vice versa; Starboard and Port bays can independantly switch off or re-engage force-fields.
3.) Two launch tubes on either bay
a.) Tubes use high-power magnetic acceleration to force fighter out of the tubes rapidly
b.) Tubes can be fired to launch fighters even when launch-doors are closed, called "Safe-Launching".
c.) Tubes have doors which cover them when they are not in operation
d.) Tubes must be wide enough to even accomodate Broadswords and Dragons.
4.) Use of fly-through deck is for conventional launch and landing procedures, and bolters (aborted landing; fighter can miss approach and punch it and fly straight out the front).
a.) Fly through deck can launch and receive large-shuttles. Tubes cannot accomodate shuttles (too wide, except mabye small WC3/4 ones.)
b.) Launch-rate can be increased significantly by launching both flight-deck and tubes.
-Tubes are armored and shielded.
5.) Flight-deck must be immune to a flash-pack attack! (Vesuvius was lost that way)

MOBILITY
-Must be able to utilize practically any jump-point like the Hakaga-Class supercarriers and the Midway-Classes.

SPEED/ACCELERATION
-Top speed of at least 250 kps ramscoops open full
1.) Idea inspired on modern-day carriers, which despite large size are extraordinarily fast (estimated 45 knots).
2.) Such speed makes them able to outrun all but the fastest of capital ships.
-Acceleration: Approximately 43 k/s^2

MANEUVERABILITY
-Max YPR of at least 10/10/10 DPS

ENERGY WEAPONRY (MAIN)
- About 20 AMG's
- About 24 Heavy-Tachyon Guns (the kind that have a 240 DU penetration)

MISSILES (MAIN)
- Capship Missile Tubes: 4 (3 fore, 1 aft-- makes you think twice before tail-gating! :D)
1.) Fighter launch tubes can also be used for launching capship-missiles (not exactly SOP, but do-able)
- Anti-Fighter Missile Turrets: 6

TORPEDOS
- Forward Torpedo Tubes: 6
- Diagonal Forward Tubes: 8 (They angle out 45 degrees left, right, and all angle forward at 45 degrees - two left up, two left down, two starboard up, two starboard down)
- Aft Torpedo Tubes: 4
- Diagonal Aft Tubes: 8
TOTAL: 26

(Diagonal arrangement is so that you can shoot up and down, and sidways without having like 60 tubes)

ENERGY WEAPONS (Point Defense)
- 62 Laser Turrets (single)
1.) Forward Dorsal Starboard (3)
2.) Foward Dorsal Port (3)
3.) Forward Ventral Starboard (3)
4.) Forward Ventral Port (3)

5.) Aft Dorsal Starboard (4)
6.) Aft Dorsal Port (4)
7.) Aft Ventral Starboard (4)
8.) Aft Ventral Port (4)

9.) Dorsal (4)
10.) Ventral (4)
11.) Starboard Flank (4)
12.) Port Flank (4)

13.) Diagonal Starboard Bow: (2)
14.) Diagonal Starboard Rear: (3)

15.) Diagonal Port Bow: (2)
16.) Diagonal Port Rear: (3)

17.) Diagonal Dorsal Bow: (2)
18.) Diagonal Ventral Bow: (2)
19.) Diagonal Dorsal Stern: (2)
20.) Diagonal Ventral Stern: (2)

21.) Dorsal Conning Tower (2)
22.) Ventral Conning Tower (2)

MISSILES (POINT-DEFENSE)
-Gatling Launch Tubes (6-7)

SHIELDS
-Phase Shields (Vesuvius-Type)
1.) Main Shields cover dorsal, ventral, bow, stern, port, and starboard
2.) Special Generators cover the following systems
a.) Port and Starboard flight-deck (front and rear)
b.) Conning-Tower (dorsal and ventral)
c.) Engines
b.) Launching Tubes
e.) Turrets -- phase shields cover turret areas when not firing.

ARMOR
-Dorsal (4,300 cm)
-Ventral (4,300 cm)
-Bow (4,300 cm)
-Stern (4,300 cm)
-Port (4,300 cm)
-Starboard (4,300 cm)
-Flight-deck fore (4,300 cm)
1.) 3 sets of doors, which can be blown free should they jam in an emergency
-Flight-deck aft (4,300 cm)
1.) 3 sets of doors, which can be blown free should they jam in an emergency
-Engine (4,300 cm)
1.) Engines are buried 50 meters in the frame.
a.) Twin-rowed blast-doors can cover the engines once engines are shut down to protect them from damage.
b.) Doors can be blasted free in an emergency
-Conning Tower (4,800 cm)
-CIC (5,400 cm)
-Turrets
1.) AMG: (1,600 cm)
2.) Heavy Tachyon: (945 cm)
3.) Missile Launchers: No idea
4.) Point-defense: (800 cm)

CREW
-F*cking Huge

COST
-You Don't Wanna Know

SHIPS OF THE CLASS
Enterprise-Class ships are designated with the new 'SCV' designation for Super-Carrier (Super-Carrier-aViation)

SCV-01: TCS-Enterprise
CO: Capt. Lloyd Jenkins (Home Improvement Referrence-- Yes, I will make up a better name later on.)
XO: Cdr. Walter Kerrington
CMC: MCPO David Corbin

SCV-02: TCS-Yorktown (Star-Trek Referrence)
Named after The Battle of Yorktown in which the United States gained her independance.
SCV-03: TCS-Paris
Named after the Treaty of Paris which ended the Revolutionary War between the United States and Great Britain
SCV-04: TCS-Berlin
Named after the capital of Germany, which had been defeated in WW2
SCV-05: TCS-Tokyo
Named after the capital of Japan, which was defeated at the end of WW2
SCV-06: TCS-Philipines
A country which the US took-over during the Spanish-American War
SCV-07: TCS-Cuba
A country which the United States liberated from the Spaniards during the Spanish American War
SCV-08: TCS-Washington
Named after General and later President George Washington, who was the head General of the Thirteen Colonies during the Revolutionary War
SCV-09: TCS-Benjamin Franklin (aka TCS-Franklin)
Named after Benjamin Franklin, a man who signed the Declaration of Independance, and had a role in creating the Constitution (at least I think so). He also flew a kite in a thunderstorm.
SCV-10: TCS-Charleston
The capital of South Carolina, there was a battle there in the Civil War if I recall correctly.
SCV-11: TCS-Olympus
I'm running out of names and Olympus sounds really cool. Eleven is also a common lucky-number.
SCV-12: TCS-Crawford
Named after a few people with the last name Crawford

As for the Star-Destroyer aclove, the Imperial Star Destroyer only carries 72 fighters.

It's still almost twice the Ranger-Class, but it's not Supercarrier material.

-Concordia

Whoa!

Hi everyone, back from winter break, semester two in full swing. yay!

:eek:

How big is this, it seems it would be gargantuan.

it sorta reminds me of the Imperial Fortress Planet (Not a Starwars reference and a large cookie to whoever can tell me where I got the fortress planet from)
:D

p.s. its a tough one!

Re: Whoa!

Originally posted by Oggy
Hi everyone, back from winter break, semester two in full swing. yay!

:eek:

How big is this, it seems it would be gargantuan.

Actually it would probably be around 1900 meters long, at most 2,300 meters.

The trick is to not use giant capship turrets for point-defense guns, but the same sized turrets used on fighters. Hey considering they deal out the same amount of damage, why not keep them small! They might be a slight bit bigger to slap on more armor to them, but that's about it.

it sorta reminds me of the Imperial Fortress Planet (Not a Starwars reference and a large cookie to whoever can tell me where I got the fortress planet from)
:D

p.s. its a tough one!

The idea is to make a big carrier that doesn't have the same flaws that all the other carriers have.

-Concordia

I think that thing is too overpower. Concordia, are you sure that confed will have the money and the materials to build that supercarrier? I think you should insert some weak spots, to make it more funny

"I am going to place them in a unnecessarily slowly moving, easily escapeable, death situtation, close the door and assume everything went to plan, what?" <Doctor Evil>

Oggy, you summarized my point exactly.

Carriers are not supposed to be easy to destroy. They're supposed to be damn-near impossible.

-Concordia

There is no point in making a über-carrier. They would never be used, as no one would DARE to fight it, as it is going to be impossible to destroy it. And what if Confed is the enemy? It would be a suicide mission, if there is any mission where you attack it!

Originally posted by Slawter
There is no point in making a über-carrier. They would never be used, as no one would DARE to fight it, as it is going to be impossible to destroy it. And what if Confed is the enemy? It would be a suicide mission, if there is any mission where you attack it!

Although I agree with you, you should probably go read Fleet Action.

Buy it for me. I have NO conditions of importing a book, especially because of my age and lack of money. But if i ever find it, i might buy.

When I was your age, I had imported dozens of novels.

Amazon.com still had a few in stock last time I checked.

Well, here where i live, i have nothing that allows me to do so. My dad don't rely on buying stuff online, as we already lost money from it.

1) What age you think i am?
2) You imported it while you live in a "Third World" country with your dad with money problems?

Otherwise, thanks by pointing me that i could buy at Amazon.com.

Originally posted by Concordia

Carriers are not supposed to be easy to destroy. They're supposed to be damn-near impossible.

-Concordia

Carriers are supposed to carry as many aircraft as possible and not to fight themselves (they`ve got cruisers and destroyers for it) they should have some heavy armor but not at a price of having smaller air group, armament should be defensive only. In a duel between bigger supper- carrier with less aircraft and smaller carrier with more aircraft the second has better chances of survival (better recon capabilities, bigger force projection).

Originally posted by Dominator
Carriers are supposed to carry as many aircraft as possible and not to fight themselves (they`ve got cruisers and destroyers for it) they should have some heavy armor but not at a price of having smaller air group, armament should be defensive only. In a duel between bigger supper- carrier with less aircraft and smaller carrier with more aircraft the second has better chances of survival (better recon capabilities, bigger force projection).

Not in WC!

There are carriers which fit this profile (most of them), but there are some which are quite autonomous, and others which are totally, such as the Midway-Class.

It's stupid to design a carrier with no means to defend itself against capital ships. Most of carriers weapons are to fight off just fighters. The Vesuvius got it right... It had the power of an entire battlegroup focused in one ship.

My design is supposed to be able to do the following

1.) Fight like the Vesuvius
2.) Run independantly like the Midway
3.) Carry LOTS and LOTS of fighters like Vesuvius
4.) Carry LOTS and LOTS of armor like the Vesuvius
5.) Carry LOTS and LOTS of anti-capship guns like Vesuvius
6.) Be really fast, like Vesuvius, except better
7.) Have armored engines like the Hakaga
8.) Have fly-through bays, with closeable doors to prevent fly-throughs
9.) Maneuver like the Vesuvius
10.) Use any jump-point within reason
11.) Have anti-torpedo defenses like the Hakaga.
12.) Have launch tubes like the Midway
13.) Have torpedo-tubes like the Vesuvius
14.) Have unrivaled acceleration like the Vesuvius
15.) Be resistant to flash-pack attacks.

I am basically conceptualizing a super-carrier which does not have all the flaws that other carriers have. I am basically righting the wrongs of carrier design.

Carriers should have good defenses, but I say, give them some offensive weapons too. The Confederation-Class design got it right. It was basically a giant cruiser with 2 flight-decks strapped on. In fact it was originally listed as a Supercruiser (in Origin's development notes for WC2).

That's my kind of ship. One that can haul and launch fighters, and then go head on into combat itself and come out victorious should all go to sh*t.

As for the large amount of point-defense guns... Point-Defense Guns are NOT usually counted on a capital ship's armament...

-Concordia

Back