Novels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyfire

Spaceman
I was actually hoping to do a dual post here:

A) I've just started reading the novels (I've played the games, just not read the novels! Don't stone me to death! :) ) And was hoping someone could give me a list of the order they go in.

B)What is everyone's favorite novel out of the WC series?

Chronological Order (in WC time), it's:

Action Stations
WCM
Pilgrim Stars
Pilgrim Truth (Unreleased)
Freedom Flight
End Run
Fleet Action
WCIII
False Colors
WCIV

I was going by Wing Commander's chronology, not novel releases.

LOAF is right. action stations was "written" in 2678 or close to it, and it was telling the story of how the war started and how tolwyn began is career.

yeah but its a silly point to make because out of like 300 pages, 10 actually take place in 2678. The "story" takes place at the beginning of the Kilrathi war if you were going to read them chronologically you would read it first even though it does make a better companion to the series if you read it after WCIV.

Yes, but when you read Action Stations you intend to read a story about the beginning of the Kilrathi war not a story about a book that was written about the beginning of the Kilrathi war and thats whats important.

. . . it’s a silly point to make because out of like 300 pages, 10 actually take place in 2678 . . . when you read Action Stations you intend to read a story about the beginning of the Kilrathi war not a story about a book that was written about the beginning of the Kilrathi war . . .

It’s not a silly point at all. It is canon. And that fact means that those of us who take canon seriously cannot intend to read the book otherwise. (Besides, this is how Forstchen obviously intends it to be read. Let us have some basic respect for the author after all.)

But there’s a much more wonderful or disturbing consequence to all this, depending on your point of view. Specifically, we cannot blindly accept the “facts” presented in this historical account as canon themselves. Not without first rationalizing anyway why a given “fact” or group of “facts” should be taken as reliable. (Which may be easy, hard, or next to impossible depending on the “fact”.) Information, express or implied, that is related in what purport to be actual conversations is particularly vulnerable.

Though it may be canon, logic dictates that since the majority of the novel takes place long before WC1, it goes in the order I put it in.

Then again, logic dictates that the novel was admittedly speculative, so perhaps it shouldn't go anywhere since it's still "unconfirmed" :p

I don't see a problem.

Action Stations is a book written in 2678 about the events in 2634. Happy now? :)

[Besdies, if you go in publishing order, Action Stations is still after WCIV. Which poses the question: Is AS fact, or dramatization?]

[[BTW, LOAF: when I edited the post, it said it had been deleted. ?]]

Originally posted by LeHah
Though it may be canon, logic dictates that since the majority of the novel takes place long before WC1, it goes in the order I put it in.

Then again, logic dictates that the novel was admittedly speculative, so perhaps it shouldn't go anywhere since it's still "unconfirmed" :p

Saying "logic dictates" before something stupid doesn't make it logical.

Originally posted by Napoleon
LOAF is right.

Damn', we know that he is ALWAYS right !:D

"Action Stations is a book written in 2678 about the events in 2634." But the real author lived in the 20th century... lol

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Saying "logic dictates" before something stupid doesn't make it logical.

Saying Twin Peaks makes sense every episode doesn't make it true either.

And yet, I note that you had to edit that post... maybe because you forgot how to spell "stupid"? Oh, wait, you must be use to that word, you misenthropic child.

You have yet to insult me with your utterly baseless and rampart verbal diarrhea. I suggest you keep that trash talk to yourself or I'll have you reassigned to waste recycling. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back