Not enough memory???

Saturnyne

Vice Admiral
I have recently acquired WC2 and Privateer. I have a p233mmx with 48 MB of RAM, and in pure DOS, 655 kb of base memory, with 5 MB of expanded memory. It should run, because it needs 640kb of base memory, and 2 MB of expanded memory! what's the problem? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

------------------

§

Okay.. We'll be glad to help you.. we just need some basic info..

What version of Priv / WC2 do you have?

Are you running them with a bootdisk, an MS-DOS Mode Shortcut or a Dos-in-Windows Box?

What kind of sound card do you have?

What errors are you getting when you attempt to run the game(s)?

Privateer, by the way, must be run in pure DOS, theres no way around it. WC2 works under Windows in a dos-in-windows box but will sometimes crash (at least for me).

I don't suppose that's the disk version of privateer? if so can you send me the 6th disk.. as i said in another post mi's corrupted.

This added to your config.sys of your bootdisk should end that Not enough Memory error.

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE I=B000-B7FF RAM 3072
DOS=HIGH
DOS=UMB
FILES=25
BUFFERS=25
LASTDRIVE=Z

[This message has been edited by Eddie2u (edited August 15, 2000).]

I use the info posted for my shortcut to Dos from windows.
I use it to run Privateer, and wing commander .
If you want a copy of my short cut to edit for yourself.
Email me and I will send it to you.

eddy@epix.net

Saturnyne: Go ahead and post your config files (config.sys, autoexec.bat, and dosstart.bat, located in C:\Windows) and I'll give you a new set to use with these games. Any configuration that works for Privateer will also work for WC2.

Why don't you just post the configurations so I can copy and paste them into new files? posting my files seems kind of pointless. (wierd look)

------------------

§

No, it isn't. Every computer out there has a different configuration. If Stinger just posted his, then you would have to play without sound, CD, and mouse.

Obey Stinger, he knows what he's doing
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Dosstart.bat
-----------
REM DOS MOUSE DRIVER ADDED BY MICROSOFT INTELLIPOINT MOUSE SETUP
LH C:\MSINPUT\MOUSE\mouse.exe
@ECHO OFF
GOTO MSDOS

[MSDOS]
:MSDOS
C:\WINDOWS\CWBINIT.EXE /A

-------------------

autoexec.bat
------------
@ECHO OFF
SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND
SET PROMPT=$P$G
C:\MSINPUT\MOUSE\MOUSE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:ACERCD00

-------------------

config.sys
----------
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE 5060 RAM

[COMMON]
DOS=High,UMB
FILES=30
BUFFERS=30
devicehigh=c:\windows\cwbinit.exe /A

-------------------

devicehigh=c:\windows\cwbinit.exe /A <--- my sound drivers for DOS

mouse.exe is my DOS mouse driver of course

C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:ACERCD00 <--- my DOS CD-ROM driver.

Um... there. That's what I have on a boot disk, anyway. I don't have a memory problem anymore, btw. Privateer won't work is all.

------------------

§

Well, then, we have a little conundrum. You see, there's no CD-ROM driver loaded in your config.sys file, and yet you stated that you were able to access the CD-ROM drive in DOS. However, your problem is completely consistent with not being able to access the CD-ROM drive, so I'll assume you were talking about a DOS box in Windows or something.

To get the CD-ROM drive working, you need both a driver in config.sys and MSCDEX.EXE loaded in autoexec.bat (or, if you're going to DOS through the shutdown screen, dosstart.bat). To find the correct driver to put in your boot disk's config.sys, check out the config.sys on your hard drive. Look for a line that looks like this:

DEVICEHIGH=C:\xxxxxxx\xxxxxx.SYS /D:ACERCD00

...and copy it to the config.sys file on your boot disk.

Okay... did that. Still doesn't work. Same error. no files corrupt, everything in its place, enough memory, mouse on, CD-ROM accessible, sound settings correct, no problems with installation. Hard drive's fine too. I ran a scandisk not five minutes ago.

Stupid thing... I really want to enjoy this game. It sounds like it's really great. what the heck is wrong?

------------------

§

You could try using a generic mouse driver to free up some conventional memory--the ones that came with Logitech and Microsoft mice in the ages when mice came with driver disks tend to contain overlarge DOS drivers, sometimes in excess of 30k. I used to have a really sweet Laser mouse driver that took (IIRC) less than 10k.

Well... memory isn't the problem (anymore), actually. My DOS mouse driver takes about 1kb of conventional memory.

Privateer just won't run no matter what I do. Ugh...

------------------

§

You could try it on someone else's computer, if you have access to one. Privateer is worth the effort of going over to a friend's place. The protagonist is so witty
smile.gif

------------------
Bastardly Productions: More fun than a piñata filled with bees

Last edited by a moderator:
hehe... well, I don't have access to one... at least, not yet. But I'll keep trying on this one and see what I can do.

------------------

§

I wonder if I ever installed it without sound... I'd have to see if that works. Hopefully it does... I'd just have to turn on a CD while I play or something.

------------------

§

Heh... well, if it's any consolation, I can't play it, even if I install it without sound. What are the requirements to run the game, just to make sure?

------------------

§

I have a 500MHz and I am running Privateer with speech, sound effects, music all perfectly, aswell as mouse (and of course CD-ROM)
Just incase its any help this is how I solved my problems:
Searched my SB CD for the DOS files and now always run APINIT.COM
Downlaoded general mouse driver
Went to my manufacturers homepage (quantex.com) and tested all toshiba drivers until I found the one for my system so I could run in DOS. It does sound like a driver proble4mso check you manufacturers page.

Back