Night at the Movies?

frostytheplebe

Seventh Part of the Seal
Hey everyone,
I have a little tradition going on with a few friends once every few months. One of the guys I hang out with has a home theater in his basement... I'm not kidding surround sound, screen, projector, the works. Anyway, we pick a movie theme and everyone comes by to watch 5 or 6 movies based on that subject.

This month, our theme was Pirates. Multiple movies were suggested; The Crimson Pirate, Cutthroat Island (UGH!), Muppet Treasure Island, Disney's Treasure Island, etc.

Myself and one other person have brought into play "Mutiny on the Bounty." He brought the 1962 version starring Marlon Brando, and I brought the 1935 classic starring Charles Laughton and Clark Gable. I never liked the '62 version and thought it was slow moving, inaccurate, and a major let down. (I am aware that the entire story of the Mutiny according to the book is not accurate, but the '62 version I feel goes a step further.)

The 1935 version, while still protraying Bligh in a negative light, is at least a little more fair to him. It also brings into play Midshipman Byam and his story to return to England aboard the HMS Pandora. All of this was left out of the 1962 version. I will however note that Byam's story comes majorly at the expense of much of Christian's.

Well both are on the table, and we're all going to have to choose which one we want to watch, and I was just curious if anyone here could identify which one they preferred (if any).

I know, random, but I'm at work, and thought I'd try to revive conversation here.

Back