Nigerian Scammer

McGruff

Banned
From time to time I visit a particular Yahoo Group which discusses World War Two. As I was reading through the recent posts, I came across one of the African scams that we have all probably heard about, I think they even did a story on 60 Minutes or Dateline or one of those shows........

"FROM MR. Shola Nelson.
AUDITING AND ACCOUNTING UNIT,
FOREIGN OPERATIONS DEPARTMENT,
INTERNATIONAL BANQUE OF AFRICA,
LOME- TOGO.

Dear Friend,

My name is Mr. Shola Nelson, I am the head of auditing and accounting
section of international banque of africa.With due respect and
regard,I have decided to contact you on a business transaction that
will be very beneficial to both of us at the end .

During our investigation and auditing in this bank, my department
came across a very huge sum of money belonging to a deceased person
who died on 26th December 2004 in the Tsunami that happened in Sumatra
island, Indonesia. From the information that our bank have gotten so
far, the Tsunami killed him with his entire family.Uptill now, no
other relation has been identified. The person that he used as his
next of kin was his 17 year old son who died along side the family.

Although personally, I keep this information secret within myself to
enable the whole plans and idea be profitable and successful during
the time of execution. The said amount was (U.S$9.5M UNITED STATES
DOLLARS).

(1) Assist me in the transfer of the said fund into your account.
(2) Advise me on lucrative areas for investment.

Meanwhile, all the arrangement to put claim over this fund, as the
bonafide next of kin to the deceased, as well as getting the required
approval and transfering this money to a foreign account, has been put
in place.I will relay directives and needed information to you, as
soon as you indicate your interest and willingness to assist me, and
also benefit your self with this great business opportunity.

I will not fail to inform you that this transaction is 100% risk free.
On smooth conclusion of this transaction, you will be entitled to 40%
of the total sum as gratification, while 10% will be set aside to take
care of expenses that may arise during the time of transfer and also
telephone bills, while 50% will be for me.Please, I advise you to keep
this as a "top secret" as I am still in service and intend to retire
from service after I conclude this deal with you. I hope to hear from
you as soon as possible for further information.

Yours faithfully,
Mr. Nelson."

Just for fun, I responded on the public forum - "I'm in. While I happen to have my checkbook out, do you perhaps need a bunch of cash to get things started for us?"

Now I obviously posted that jokingly, and expected it to be taken that way, but I soon received this personal email from the bastard.........

"I want you to know that all i will need from you now is to get your bank information where the money will be transfered into and then i will let you know the next step,But for now all i need from you is the bank details.

PERSONAL DETAILS
Name
Address
City
State
Country
Tel no
Mobile number

BANK DETAILS
Bank name
Bank Address
Bank account number

Immidiately i get this information i will get back to you and let you know the next step."

Now with me being me, I had to mess with him some more. Here's my most recent reply :D. I'll see how far I can take it.......

Dear Mr. Nelson,

At the moment, my primary bank account is controlled jointly with my partner Hans, who would no doubt become quite curious should an unusually large sum of money suddenly be deposited - it would be best to keep him out of our private deal. Also, it is my understanding that any transaction amount through a United States bank which is more than ten thousand dollars will be reported by the bank to the government, which would probably cause suspicion with the U.S. Dept. of the Interior.

I definitely don't want this once in a lifetime opportunity to get away, and at this time I can think of two possible ways to proceed. Would it be possible for a man of your means and position within the International Banque of Africa be able to arrange a discreet account in my name which then could be used to deposit the money either bit by bit or all at once, whichever you feel is safer? This bank is not well known in this country, and Hans would not need to know about it.

Also, my uncle, Mr. McDuck is a relative on my father's side of the family who is a chief financial officer overseeing the research and development department of Cogswell Cogs Inc., which is the ninth largest employer in the great commonwealth of Idaho. He routinely handles transactions involving quite large sums of money, and a deposit of the size we are talking about would be more unlikely to be noticed by the authorities. It is possible that I might be able to access the information you need so that the balance can be transfered to one of his high dollar bank accounts. Though I respect my uncle very much, it is my opinion that if we do it this way, we should not include him in the deal if at all possible so that the information does not get out to more people such as his personal assistant Mr. Smithers who would want a percentage for himself.

Please let me know if either of these solutions is acceptable. I hope for a trouble free and profitable conclusion for both of us. Thank you.

Ah, great, those letters are a blast (pity though for the people who fall for it and lose money). My father even get one as a real paper letter some years ago. Not it's all email, damn rationalizing. ;)

You might be interested/inspired by this site that likes to trick those scammers with their own methods:

419eater

I especially like this story:

The Tale of the Painted Breast

Good luck with yours!

I remember the first time I saw one of those emails, it was 10 years ago. Wow.

I've read somewhere that this kind of scam is responsible for something like 10% of the Nigerian GNP. It's ridiculous.

Hey, this sounds oddly familiar!

If you guys have Freespace, you might know of a joke campaign called "Just Another Day." It looks very much like the command briefing of the first mission of JAD1.

Our latest exchange.........

Mr Cory i quit understand all you said and i want you to know that you are a very intelligent man and you know why i want this transaction to be between me and you alone........I will like you to try all your possible best to get on this transaction by getting a personal bank account and in case you don't have one you can try to purchase a credit card which will be capable of storing up to $10,000 from the bank and then then money can be transfer gradually while nobody will be involve or know anything about the deal and i will want you to keep this as a very high secret and as you know its a very great opportunity for us to make it in life without any problem or any notice from anyone.

....................................................................................................................................................

Dear Mr Nelson,

First I would like to express my gratitude and excitement that I was selected to help you with this tremendous opportunity for both of us. Please feel free to call me by my first name (Cory), but I now feel comfortable providing you with my true full name which is Cory L. Feldman. It is important that we trust eachother if we are to complete the transaction and exchange personal information of this sort. I do not mean for you to take this as an insult of any kind, but is there a way for you to provide documents to show that you really are a bank official with access to the money in the account? I do not yet know you personally, however I am eager for this venture to be a successful one.

During my lunch hour today, I stopped at the First Bank of New Detroit where I hold the joint account with Hans. They informed me that because of rules regarding domestic partnership, I would not be able to open a separate account without his signature. Tomorrow I plan to try again at a different bank at which I am not already a customer, perhaps I will have better luck at one of the local Firekkabank or Goddard National branches. Can you assist me to open an account with the International Banque of Africa for our purpose?? I had not considered the credit card option which you mentioned, I will also apply for one as soon as possible using one of the many pre-approved offers which are sent to me in the mail.

Again, thank you
Mr. Feldman

........................................................................................................................................

Now unfortunately he has my personal Hotmail address and my real name (Cory Lewis), which is why I added the 'L' middle initial. Oh well, I guess there's not a whole lot he can do with that. Like Mekt-Hakkikt's site says, just wasting their time accomplishes a little something.

I think you're supposed to finish the job before you post anything - as it stands he can just search for a string from your e-mail and find this thread.

Didn't know you could do that, but then I'm not all that computer savvy.

If it continues, and I start getting tired of it in a couple days, I've got someone standing by to step in as a CIA agent, angry mobster, or jealous lover.

Didn't know you could do that, but then I'm not all that computer savvy.
You don't need to be computer savvy to realize that searching for the text of his emails would bring up this thread eventually.

But I'm guessing you have to be sharper than 'Mr. Nelson' probably is. Check this out :D.....

The Original
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2H6DSoqZz_s

New and Improved
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvyrzQldOKE

He's nothing if not persistent though.......

"HELLO MR CORY

GOOD MORNING TO YOU THERE AND HOW IS WORK AND FAMILY I HOPE ALL IS WELL WITH YOU THERE.

AM SO HAPPY TO READ FROM YOU THIS MORNING ABOUT THIS TRANSACTION WILL ARE BOTH PLAN TO WORK ON TOGETHER I PRAY GOD WILL SEE US THROUGH IN JESUS NAME.(AMEN).

DUE TO WHAT YOU SAID IN YOUR LAST MAIL,I WAS SO HAPPY ABOUT YOUR MAIL REALLY SHOWS HOW YOU HAVE INTEREST IN IT AND ALSO ABOUT THE PROVE YOU ASKING FROM ME.YES WHY NOT I CAN PROVIDE TO YOU SOME DOCUMENTATION TO SHOWS THAT AM A BANK OFFICIAL THAT HAVE ACCESS TO THE MONEY IN THE ACCOUNT,BUT THE PROBLEM RIGHT NOW IS THAT THE I DON'T HAVE A SCANNING MACHINE TO SCAN THOSE DOCUMENT AND SEND TO YOU,BUT I WE HAVE THAT DONE LATER IT MIGHT NOT BE NOW BUT LATER AND I HOPE THAT IS WELL OK BY YOU AND I HOPE YOU DON'T MIND AS WELL.

SECONDLY,ABOUT THE ACCOUNT I TOLD YOU TO GET OPENED I WANT YOU TO STOP IT.THERE IS ANOTHER WAY YOU CAN RECEIVE THE MONEY WHICH IS GOING TO BE MORE SECRETIVE THAN SENDING IT TO AN ACCOUNT OR WHAT EVER.BECAUSE I HAVE MADE SOME RESEARCH ABOUT SENDING THE MONEY VIA WIRE TRANSFER AND IS NOT WELL OK FOR BOTH OF US DUE TO THE USA GOVERNMENT AND I DON'T WANT ANY PROBLEM'S AND DELAY ABOUT THIS TRANSACTION SO THEREFORE IS BETTER WILL MAKE IT BY SENDING IT TO YOUR VIA A CORRIE SERVICE AND ALL THE MONEY WE BE PACKAGE IN A CONSIGNMENT BOX,DUE TO MY REASON MR CORY LEWIS,I WANT IT TO BE IN THAT WAY.BUT I WE LIKE YOU AS WELL TO BRING A SUGGESTION ABOUT THIS IF IT GOING TO BE OK FOR YOU.

AND FOR YOUR INFORMATION THERE ARE SOME DOCUMENT WILL HAVE TO DO WHICH IS GOING TO INVOLVE YOUR NAME ON IT BEFORE YOU CAN BE ABLE TO STAND AS THE NEXT OF KIN TO CLAIM THIS FUNDS OUT FROM OUR BANK.SO THEREFORE THOSE ARE THE DOCUMENTATION YOU HAVE TO DO AND IS GOING TO COST US SOME LITTLE AMOUNT OF MONEY.
THOSE ARE THE DOCUMENT BELOW:
1).CHANGING OF OWNERSHIP FROM THE LATE DECEASED PERSON WHO DIED TO YOUR OWN NAME.I THINK YOU KNOW WITHOUT CHANGING ALL THE PAPERS THAT BACK THE FUNDS UP TO YOUR OWN NAME THERE IS NO WAY YOU CAN STAND I HOPE YOU KNOW THAT.

2).CERTIFICATE OF DEPOSIT THE LATE PERSON USE TO SAVE THE MONEY INTO THE ACCOUNT,IT AS TO BE CHANGE AS WELL TO YOUR OWN NAME.

THOSE ARE THE TWO DOCUMENT WILL HAVE TO DO NOW BEFORE ANY MOVE CAN BE TAKING,I HOPE EVERYTHING IS WELL UNDERSTOOD TO YOU NOW.

I WE BE WAITING TO READ FROM YOU SOONEST AND ALSO I WANT YOU TO SEND ME YOUR CONTACT DETAILS FOR ME TO OPEN A FILE ON YOUR NAME AND YOUR CONTACT DETAILS.

BEST REGARDS.
MR NELSON."

Hello to you, I am writing this in the evening now, so I hope my letter finds you well in the timezone you call home. 'Lewis' is the middle name given to me when I was born because I reminded my parents of one of Jerry's kids. It is fine if you refer to me as Cory or Mr. Feldman, whichever you prefer.

It comforts and warms me to no end to discover that you are a fellow loyal Christian soul. Are you at all familiar with the Church of Man?? I hope that someday fate will have the grace to embrace you with their wondrous works (AMEN). It is my hope that very soon, thanks to this deal which you have offered, that I may be able to use my part of this fortune to assist them in their holy acts.

At the same time it somewhat troubles me that somehow a document scanner is not available to a worker in such a prestigious bank. I do not wish to be quick to judge, but I am hoping there is an answer to this that I have not considered? After reading your last message, all I can think about is how fabulous it will be to receive the shipment. Now during the weekend I must find a way to keep Hans from holding your package. May the Lord watch over you until I return on Monday (AMEN).

Regards,
Mr. Feldman

Hello to you, I am writing this in the evening now, so I hope my letter finds you well in the timezone you call home. 'Lewis' is the middle name given to me when I was born because I reminded my parents of one of Jerry's kids. It is fine if you refer to me as Cory or Mr. Feldman, whichever you prefer.

It comforts and warms me to no end to discover that you are a fellow loyal Christian soul. Are you at all familiar with the Church of Man??

HAHAHAHAHA!!! "Church of Man" thats great... though seriously, you should not have given him your name. The hotmail account is one thing as thats a free account which is non-tracable. However, to get one, if memory serves, you do have to put in your zip code, which you probably didn't fake when you opened the account.... that plus your name COULD be concerning... Its up to you, but I'd be careful about any other information. Ya shoulda used a name like Zach Colson, or James Taggart, or something like that.

Personally, given that you've already made two mistakes, i'd end it as quick and as painlessly as possible.

I definitely wouldn't have given any real info had this been something planned. Problem is, my real name and main everyday email address were tied to the Yahoo group that we discovered eachother in. As far as the email, I can change it easy enough if I have to. These guys usually really are in Africa, so I feel reasonably safe that him having my name won't lead to anything.

Here's the latest, what a surprise that he's going to need "some little amount of money"..........

Hello Mr. Cory;

It is my pleasure to hear from you and i want you to know that i will always call you by Mr. Cory and i believe that will be comfortable for you and at the same time about the scanner, i want you to know that their is a scanner at the bank but i wont be able to use it due to the circumstances surrounding the transaction cause i do not want the deal to be open to any other person as it is a secret between us alone.

That's why i have said i will get them to you later and i want to remind you of what i said in the last mail i sent to you about the documents that will be change and the details required to make the changes on the deceased file and to open a file in your own name.

I will be waiting to hear from you soon so the consignment can proceed.

Best Regards
Mr. Nelson

..........................................................................................................

Hello Mr Cory;

I have went through the list of the courier service and detected that we are going to need some little amount of money to get the consignment delivered to you in the next day and also will need so money to get the documents of the deceased change to your own. We are going to need $724 for everything and i hope as soon as the money get here the documents and the consignment should be delivered next day of payment received and i will like to get more info from you on how you will handle the money so Han will not be able to get to know about it cause its a very secret which i believe is going to favor us at the end of the transaction. Mr. Cory i will like to get every necessary information from you today.
Best Regards
Mr. Nelson

..................................................................................................................

Hello, and bless you this day. $724 is a lot of money for me, but it should not be a problem considering the wonderful prize that awaits us both afterward. I am paid each 1st and 15th of every month, however the check that I get today must go to rent for the poodle grooming kiosk at the local mall that Hans and I operate. Those pricks at Cinnabun are trying to push us out of our corner location and falling behind on the rent would be just the excuse they need to make their hostile move. I will be paid again on October 15th, and my check along with the amount that I had put away for Hans' surprise personalized rhinestone doggy nailclipper will be enough for our purpose.

Is there a place where I can send carefully concealed cash? If I use a check, we might be discovered because of my joint account situation. Are you able to take U.S. dollars??

Nice! A physical address :D. I'm thinking it might just be worth the cost of shipping to Nigeria just to send him a special care package. Any foul suggestions from fellow CICers??

............................................................................................

Hello Mr. Cory;

It is a great pleasure to hear from you and i want you to know that you are a real businessman and i will like to use this opportunity to apologies for not mailing you yesterday but i was due to the pressure i went through at the bank yesterday cause there are lots of customers who are depositing money and i have to audit the accounts given to me that's why i am not here to mail you. I want you to i you to know that their is a place were you can send it and i will like to know how much you are going to send for now and when exactly you are sending it so i can know how to arrange it and below is the details to send the money cause i will not want the money to come to me direct as it can be detected at the bank as well.....

Name: Shola Nelson
Address: 13 Lome togo street apt 4
City: Ikeja
State: Lagos
Zip code: 23401

Get back to me immediately you send the money so i will be able to handle the transaction immediately.

Best Regards
Mr. Nelson.

...........................................................................................

No problem, being a struggling businessman myself, I can certainly appreciate how busy you must be. As I stated before, I will be able to put together the required money when I get my paycheck on the 15th of this month. The 15th is a Monday, so I should be able to get it in the mail the following Tuesday if all goes well. In the mean time, I have thought of a few questions....

Have you been able to scan your official identification? I feel inside my heart that I can trust you, but my brain is telling me that I should be sure that you really are who you say you are. I hope that it is not that you don't feel that you can trust me and that I might report you to the Banque of Africa. I assure you that I would never do something like that to someone who is doing such good for me.

How do you want the small payment sent to you? I hope that United States cash is acceptable because I would be afraid that a check might be traced back to me by my bank and Hans could find out and get uppity.

How soon can I expect your official paperwork to be finished and in what form will the large payment be sent to me? Before I thought about it more, I imagined that it would be a wonderful box full of money for us, but if that was the case, then you wouldn't need my help in the deal. It must then be some sort of bank check that I will have to somehow cash. I hope that there will be no trouble when I try to get the money out of the account??

I will be eagerly awaiting the 15th when I can send you what you need. Thank you so so much, and may this transaction be blessed by the holy prophet Sivar AMEN.

Sincerely
Cory L. Feldman

He keeps sending me more of the same, but I'm going to insist on some ID before I go any further just to waste more of his time...........I'm glad my millions will be in "treasure"..........

Hello Mr. Cory;

I got your mail so i have to get in touch with you to know what is happening right away. I want you to know that the processing is in order and i want you to know that their is no problem OK. I will be waiting for you to get your paycheck before we can do anything on the documents and i will not want you to make it late.

As for the question's you asked me, I want you to know that i am working on that and soon you will get the identification and i hope by the time you get it you will be more assure that i am who i am and then we can continue the transaction in trust with no doubt.

And as for the payment i will not want you to send a check cause it might lead to traces and may get you into trouble when Hans find out about it and that may break you friendship which will not be a good idea. I will advice you send the money via western union to the details i gave to you which i believe you would have gotten in my last mail to you.

According to my plan on the consignment it will be in a very secured way that nobody will be able to detect and i hope doing that will give more rest to our mind and i want you tot know that the money will not be coming in cash but in treasure cause if the cash is been send it may lead to trouble and you know if it is cash i wouldn't have contacted you for assistance that's why i have wanted it to be a secret cause its a big time treasure of money.

I hope God will lead us through this transaction and make it a fulfillment one for us (AMEN).

I will be waiting for your respond in "ANTICIPATION".

Best Regards
Mr. Nelson.

.............................................................................................................

Hello Mr. Cory;

How are you doing Mr. Cory ? I hope all is well with you there. I want to apologize for not mailing for quit some days now but i want you to know that i was sent to the headquarter to clear some auditing over there at Abuja and that the reason why i couldn't get in touch with you but i want you to know that i am back and will let you know more about the transaction.

As for the my official identification you demanded for, I will be sending it latest on Tuesday cause i have ordered for my own scanning machine when i got to the headquarter.

I will be waiting for your responds in "ANTICIPATION".

Best Regards
Mr. Nelson.

Back