Newest WC Purchases

J "Phantom" D

2nd Lieutenant
Hi everyone!

I know I'm not much of a staple around here (I lurk more than I post), but I thought I would start up a topic where we can discuss our latest WC-related purchases.

How about I get the ball rolling?

I just purchased off of ebay:
- WC1 Japanese SNES (In fairly good shape, though the box shows a little wear and tear) - I love the artwork on this box, it is just fantastic!

- Secret Missions SNES - (Box and cartridge are in great shape) - Looking forward to trying this out whenever I get an SNES again

- Sealed 3.5" Disk release of WC1 (Sealed and in beautiful condition, one of the prides of my collection!) - Super excited to get this one because how often do you find a sealed WC1?

- Sealed 3.5" Disk release of WC2: Speech Pack (same as above!) - I would assume that this would be even rarer than the WC1. The guy wanted $80 for it, I talked him down to $43

- Unsealed 3.5" Disk release of WC2: Speech Pack (box is in rough shape) - with the purchase of the above, this will be my "working" version of the pack.

What WC related items have you purchased lately?

Great idea for a thread!

I won an auction for a Wing Commander I SNES prototype cartridge the other day--waiting for it to show up now!

Great idea for a thread!

I won an auction for a Wing Commander I SNES prototype cartridge the other day--waiting for it to show up now!

Glad to see that went to a Wingnut! I was looking at getting it myself, but the above recent purchases drained my coffers a little too much.

I need to look into the SNES prototype scene--maybe there's a collector with a copy of Wing Commander II out there somewhere...

My last WC purchase about 6 months ago was the Authorized Combat Guide for WC3 and the official Origin guides to WC4 and WCP.

I'm only missing 3 official guides now. The other WC3 guide and the playtester's guides for Priv and Armada.

2 weeks ago I finally got my hands on "The Kilrathi Saga" and a few days before that I purchased the "Die Geheimnisse des Wing Commander" (english title: Wing Commander I&II: The ultimate Strategy guide).

I had to replace my rudder pedals before last december due to heavy abuse from my epic standoff on nightmare experiences. now my hotas cougar is having issues, and i don't have much experience repairing this sort of thing. i need to get it fixed before deathsnake's sweet WC2 mod releases. WC saga is comin up too. Great time to be a wingnut with these exciting mods coming out.

I actually have to rebuy all the WING COMMANDER stuff I had because it was all stolen years ago. I finally got my hands on WING COMMANDER PROPHECY, KILRATHI SAGA, AND WING COMMANDER 4 again, but still have to get the guides and such again. A real pain. I hate thieves!

Just thought I would throw this up again because I have added 2 more items of note!

The Kilrathi Saga: This may not seem like much, as a lot of people post that they've recently found one, but the noteable thing about this one was the cost. $50 Cdn. The only annoying thing was that I had to travel from Ottawa to Cambridge (ontario) to get it. However, even after gas it was $110, so half price from the lowest I've seen on ebay! So happy to have this in my collection!

WC3: Premier Edition: A little pricey, but it's in beautiful shape. I had never seen one of these until the ebay auction I won!

I can report that the prototype arrived safely from Holland! I've Amazon Prime'd myself one of those cheap modern SNESes so I can see what's on it...

Oh yeah -- the prototype seems to be an earlier version of Wing Commander I SNES -- some of the credits are different, that's all I've noticed so far. I will see about "dumping" the ROM as soon as I can figure out how you do that (a necessary skill for WHEN we find WC2!)

One interesting thing comparing WC1s revealed, though, is how the versions included in EA Replay were actually edited--references in the introduction to Mindscape and Nintendo were cut out! (Which is honestly very odd, since it seems like Mindscape must own some stake in WC1 SNES...)

Oh yeah -- the prototype seems to be an earlier version of Wing Commander I SNES -- some of the credits are different, that's all I've noticed so far. I will see about "dumping" the ROM as soon as I can figure out how you do that (a necessary skill for WHEN we find WC2!)

One interesting thing comparing WC1s revealed, though, is how the versions included in EA Replay were actually edited--references in the introduction to Mindscape and Nintendo were cut out! (Which is honestly very odd, since it seems like Mindscape must own some stake in WC1 SNES...)

My only thought on it is that either:

1) The licence for Mindscape was either time limited or use limited (i.e. use it or loose it)

or

2) EA bought out Mindscape's stake in it so that none of the profits of EA Replay would have to be shared with Mindscape.

Just my thoughts on the matter (I used to work in an Intellectual Property Law Office)

That's likely--but it's also possible that EA in 2008 had no idea that Wing Commander for the SNES was actually *developed* by an entirely different company. I believe the agreement with Mindscape predates EA... which means there may be no record of it (which sounds crazy, but has happened several times with early Origin work now...).

(The other Origin game in the collection, Ultima VII, was done in-house... and the externally developed Ultimas are missing from the collection.)

Bought The ssie Kilrathi Saga through eBay. Pricing was close to 70 bucks, but shipping to Aussie cost me another 30-some.

I paid almost $150 U.S. for my copy of KS off Ebay a few years back. And now I can't even play it on my current computer. :mad:

Congratulations on getting yours!

Awesome! Glad to see people picking up semi-affordable Kilrathi Sagas finally. Stupid $400 chatter prevented people from getting that came for far too long.

I picked up an extra pair of crosses the other day--boxes in terrible shape, but it's great to have a backup and one to put on display (in addition to the one I already had, which I wear).

I picked up an extra pair of crosses the other day--boxes in terrible shape, but it's great to have a backup and one to put on display (in addition to the one I already had, which I wear).

Not with the blade in I hope! I've considered wearing mine, but it's a massive bit of kit, hardly subtle!

Back