Newb Newbin it up with my Newbness

OlDirty

Spaceman
Hey yall:

I've got lots of buttons on my joystick (and throttle) but I can't figure out how to assign them to functions in Standoff. Is there anyway to assign commands to joystick controls? I have a Logitech joystick (Attack 3) with the Logitech Profiler software, but the software doesn't seem to do anything for standoff or WCSO (it did work for WC2, strangely enough).

Standoff is a tour de force, at least what I've seen of it thus far (three or four missions in). I'm just a newb newbin it up with my newbness here.

Thanks for the help.

-ol dirt mcgirt

You probably have to make a new profile for WCSO/Standoff and assign the keys manually. There are other Freeware Joystick mappers out there, but i'd play around with the one that came with your stick a bit first.

I have the exact same joystick. You need to create a Profile for Standoff (then tell the Profiler where Standoff.exe is). Then it will allow you to map all the buttons on the stick. You also have to make sure that the profiler is loaded after you've assigned keystrokes. I often ran into issues during testing where on my Vista testing machine the Logitech software would not load at start up and when I went to play Standoff none of the button maps were correct. Once I quit and fired it up with the profiler running it was fine.

Thanks for the help.

I upgraded my joystick software. I think that finally did it. I'm still trying to figure out what buttons I need where, and what better way to figure that out than blasting some enemies.

-Ol Dirt McGirt

I only have a handful of the joysticks buttons mapped. I have one for switching missiles, firing missiles, cycle targets, and closest target. So the rest of the buttons I leave unmapped.

No afterburner? Cycle systems? spin left/right? countermeasures?

I think ideally I'd never touch the keyboard.

Although, with all those buttons mapped I constantly forget what does what, and wind up firing counter measures when I meant to target closest, and that sort of thing. So, again, room for improvement.

I prefer to use the keyboard for some commands. All of the ones I don't have mapped are easily accessible with my left hand. AB is tab, Roll is Q and W and decoys are E.

If I had a throttle and rudder pedals like I used to then my hands would never touch the keyboard, but as my setup is now I think it works perfect.

@OlDirty: Something else I can recommend for immersion is to use voice recognition software like "Game Commander 2" to do the comm stuff. Much cooler then to press a button and it works quite reliably.

Back