new youtube video dedicated to wing commander

Star Wars: Galaxies was originally going to be a Wing Commander game?! :eek:
Does he cite a source for this bit? It sounds to me more like he got his wires crossed and extrapolated from unrelated data. SWG started development in 2000 when EA was actively developing their own WC MMOs. SWG ended up scooping up a lot of the ex Origin team that worked on WC Prophecy and they are primarily responsible for the Spaceflight upgrade (Jump to light speed?). But I don't think that SWG was ever supposed to be a WC title. Also this is space MMO from Sony, the everquest guys, and not EA who are the ones who had several of their own WC online and Privateer Online attempts.

Last edited:
Star Wars: Galaxies was originally going to be a Wing Commander game?! :eek:

I think it's what you'd call a "spiritual successor" today. The core of the original Star Wars Galaxies team was hired from Origin's Privateer Online group... but it wasn't a situation where they carried a build or assets or anything with them. Just the same people doing a similar game... so a lot of the ideas that were generated for Privateer Online ended up in Galaxies (but obviously lensed very differently, SWG didn't even ship with space combat which would've been the big priority for Privateer.)

Back