New Wing Commander after Secret Ops

A new Wing Commander that took place after Secret Ops was released in 2007, Wing Commander Arena: https://www.wcnews.com/arena

The current front page CIC poll asks which time frame you'd most like the next new WC game to take place in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because it's 2011 and people mostly play video games on their couch on the XBox in front of their giant HDTVs (or their tiny HD iPhone retina displays). Lots of stuff happens after Secret Ops though! https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/8556

Last edited by a moderator:
D'ya know, I signed in here armed with the 'stop being a n00b and use the search button' rant -- but ChrisReid's calm and kindly manner in dealing with the subject has pacified me, so I'm off.

Xbox is not cheap I have PC and Iwant something in PC playing, why in Secret Ops is Eahrt with Starbase and coming three Alien Capship and destroy the Starbase then video end.Who is Midway to defend Eahrt?? Its end the Earth?? Some PC game with Alien war of Eahrt may be conntinue after Secret ops or I´m alone to want conntinue PC game after Secret ops??

No Wing Commander game ends with Earth being invaded, if you've gotten to a point where Earth is being attacked then you have lost the game you were playing.

Xbox is not cheap I have PC and Iwant something in PC playing, why in Secret Ops is Eahrt with Starbase and coming three Alien Capship and destroy the Starbase then video end.Who is Midway to defend Eahrt?? Its end the Earth?? Some PC game with Alien war of Eahrt may be conntinue after Secret ops or I´m alone to want conntinue PC game after Secret ops??

Not sure I quite followed all of your post. But if you really want a PC-based Wing Commander game beyond the ones that Origin/EA has released, check out some of the excellent fan-built mods and games that are hosted right here on CIC. Some aren't finished yet (but are eagerly awaited by all here), and many (OK, most) are mods of other games that require purchasing the other game, but most of them are also great.

And not all require already owning a game that must be purchased. Some are stand-alone, and some are built on free engines (like Secret Ops).

I would especially look at Standoff. It's a fan-made "mod" of Secret Ops, but I qualify "mod" with quotes because it's really a lot more than a simple mod--the creators started from the Secret Ops engine, hacked it to completely re-tool and improve the graphics, added some features to the engine, introduced all new ships, and wrote an involved mission campaign complete with clever branches and fully-voiced animated cutscenes. It's quality and graphics look as good as contemporary games. It is for the PC and requires only that you have Secret Ops, which is free (and it sounds like you already have it). Timewise, it happens before Secret Ops; it falls between WC2 and WC3 and is based loosley on the events of the novel "Fleet Action", telling the story of the near-disastrous Battle of Earth following the false armistice. The only problem with it is that it is quite a bit more difficult than any of the official Wing Commander games...but that's not necessarily a bad thing, since it gives it a lot of replayability (I guarantee you'll be finding some of the losing path missions on your first playthrough).

Xbox is not cheap

I certainly sympathize with people who live in regions where an XBox isn't cheap, but for most of us, a basic XBox costs like $200. That's like the price of a medium video card, and with an XBox you'll have access to more of the cutting edge video games being released.

I have PC and Iwant something in PC playing

Yeah, and some people have Macintoshes, and some people have Playstations 3s, and they all want new Wing Commander games too, but Wing Commander games have always been made where the market is. I spent $400 on a CD-ROM in 1994 to play Wing Commander 3 (a Soundblaster for WC2, a 3dfx card for Prophecy, etc, etc). Wing Commander games have also always been closely associated with needing to splurge on the latest hardware in order to play, so picking up an XBox to play Arena isn't much of a foreign concept here.

Yeah, and some people have Macintoshes, and some people have Playstations 3s, and they all want new Wing Commander games too, but Wing Commander games have always been made where the market is.

I'm actually still kind of annoyed that Arena wasn't released for PS3. I understand not releasing it for PC, especially given the piracy problem, but I hate it when game developers favor one console over another, when the two platforms are essentially equal. I've always been a Sony owner, not a Microsoft/Nintendo/Sega owner.

The PS3 certainly had the hardware to handle Arena, it had the distribution network just like XBox, and, while I don't know for certain, I would guess was as widely if not more widely owned at the time. It's a hair more expensive, I know, but it's Blu-Ray capabilities are so good that many many people own them. I know it's a business, but I wonder...was it really not profitable to put in the little extra effort to develop the game on the Sony platform as well, and double or more than double your potential customer base?

I don't own an Xbox either, but so what? Consoles are around to make gaming sociable, to hang out with friends and play against each other. In my group of pals, we have the PS3 guy, the Xbox guy, the Wii guy (me), and we get together lugging the consoles around, discussing technology and comparing games - but mostly to have fun.

When I wanted to play Arena, I bought it and gave it to the Xbox guy as a birthday present (good timing, EA), and we tested it out together. Turns out I just liked it kinda okay (being more of a space sim guy), be he was totally hooked. Another one for the cause, eh? ;)

I'm actually still kind of annoyed that Arena wasn't released for PS3. I understand not releasing it for PC, especially given the piracy problem, but I hate it when game developers favor one console over another, when the two platforms are essentially equal. I've always been a Sony owner, not a Microsoft/Nintendo/Sega owner.

The PS3 certainly had the hardware to handle Arena, it had the distribution network just like XBox, and, while I don't know for certain, I would guess was as widely if not more widely owned at the time. It's a hair more expensive, I know, but it's Blu-Ray capabilities are so good that many many people own them. I know it's a business, but I wonder...was it really not profitable to put in the little extra effort to develop the game on the Sony platform as well, and double or more than double your potential customer base?

The PS3 is a completely different console/architecture. AFAIK it is too complicated for such a small title to convert it for the PS3. And because Arena performed poorly on Xbox, it would be a high risk to invest money to port it for the PS3. Possible, yes, but risky. I can't blame them for not making the conversion. I own a PS3 and I want to play Arena badly, but I can understand the decision. It's not a question of hardware-capabilities, but of money.

yes maybe we need emulator to play Arena, but why maeking every game for xbos and PS3 NHL too its too bad this still for PC nothing, EA have too much money why don´t maeking Arena for PC too??

I pretty certain if the game sold more substantially and if the metacritics score was better that it would have eventually made it's way to the PSN. That's not likely to happen at this point.

Well as of now Arena is still NOT available in my country and probably never will be ,as lots of old XBOXLIVE games are missing the current list...

I dont get why they wouldnt just add it to their servers ,that doesnt cost a lot...

The PS3 certainly had the hardware to handle Arena, it had the distribution network just like XBox, and, while I don't know for certain, I would guess was as widely if not more widely owned at the time. It's a hair more expensive, I know,

The PS3 has never been more widely owned than the 360, especially in the first year after its release. :) Today the XBox is at just over 50 million units sold and the PS3 in the upper 40s (and the Wii is at 85 million).

Development on Arena began in 2006 as an XBox 360 game before the PS3 was even released. In early 2007, when it was almost completed and in the queue for the XBox Live Arcade, the XBox 360 was at 10 million systems sold and the PS3 was still pushing 2 million or so. PS3 sales at the time really lagged, in no small part because the cheapest version of the system was $500 compared to the $300 XBox (and between April and July 2007, the $500 20gb PS3 was technically discontinued, meaning the cheapest PS3 was twice as expensive in some places as the cheapest XBox).

Porting the game to the PS3 would have been no "little extra effort." They would have needed to get a whole new developer (Gaia did not develop PS3 games) at a time when the PS3 was really behind. We were involved in discussions that brought up a PS3 version, but I'm not surprised they didn't go anywhere.

Back