New Tiger's Claw Design Incorporates It All (January 13, 2006)

Fatcat said:
Since when do you harp on someone this much for making a typo? I admit it: I misspelled 'Canon' and didn't catch it when I checked my post. I'm well aware it usually refers to Church doctrine, it is also appropriate here. Many people have used 'Canon' in this sense before, including you.
The part of the sentence "Academy is NOT cannon!" that shows you have no idea what you're talking about is not the extra "n"... it's the way you make it sound like you get to say what is official WC material and what isn't.

How about this: when you create a sub-section of the WC universe in your head that only includes the stuff you can bring yourself to like, call it "something I like" instead of "canon"...

"Academy is NOT something I like!"

There, that's much better. Makes you sound smarter than if you say "Academy is NOT canon!"

But I digress. Let's not hijack Lars's thread, because his Bengal model is pretty damn good.

Well if someone would look at the 3D thread ^_^
No real update so far...I am still trying to figure out a unique way for the armor plating....or at least a style that hasn't been used to much in movies and still looks good/interesting.

I have posted my latest idea in the 3D thread.

Other question...since its not practical to have two threads with the same topic...what would you prefere this one or the one in the 3D thread to be continued?

@Eder
Thanks I hope to improve the model even further. My goal is to come up with something that has film quality. Most likely I will not get it but a high goal helps me working ^-^

Did the Bengal class had any know AA defance or anti-Torpedo equipment like they where mentioned for other ships in the novels?

The Bengal seems to have many lower caliber caliber laser *turrets* for AA defense and then fewer high caliber laser *batteries* for offensive fire.

My notes say we see 35 dual laser turrets, 6 triple laser turrets and 1 single laser turret at the most... but it'd take some research to go through the various models and Academy scenes to figure out exactly where they are (which I'm happy to do if you're interested in including all that).

Let me eat some crow and say that I thought this model was a silly idea when you started it... but I was wrong -- you're really doing a good job and it's looking quite impressive.

Since when do you harp on someone this much for making a typo? I admit it: I misspelled 'Canon' and didn't catch it when I checked my post. I'm well aware it usually refers to Church doctrine, it is also appropriate here. Many people have used 'Canon' in this sense before, including you.

I believe I attacked you on every level -- from the ignorant "typo" to the complete lack of comprehension about the subject *regardless* of the typo to the fact that what you probably should have *meant* to say was still profoundly idiotic.

... and the part you're calling me on is complaining about your *typo*? I'll even stand by that -- it's one of the two stupidest typos you can make here (the other is 'Nephilium')... I've certainly, certainly, certainly gone out of my way to yell at people about it before.

Now, I've answered your question and I will agree with Eder that we shouldn't further soil this thread with this discussion. You are welcome to open a "Academy isn't cannon" thread in the regular forum if you have any defense for your claim.

So non of the little missile systems that I remember from the novels...to bad I have just worked on one.

Oh well if their aren't any maybe I will refunction it as maintaince hatches or someting like that....or just another grabble. I think for escape pod launchers they are a little bit small...roughly 2x2m at max. Would be enough to fit in some persons but then it would have to be quite long and it would be quite crowded.
Other option would be to place a small single/dual laser turret their for AA fire.

For the total numbebr of turrets I think for the time beeing I will go with the numbers we see in the clawmarks. Maybe asking if its ok to add a AA turret to this or that place. Adding about 30 turrets to the existing ones and all the tubes will make every other ship in WC look like a joke...maybe except the Vesuvius or Midway.

What about the possibility of adding massdriver/gattling type of AA defence in exchange of some laserturrets?
From what I remember Lasers and Massdrivers all looked the same in the series...that is at least so when the Scimitar was equiped with Massdrivers and not lasers.

If isn't to much trouble it would be helpfull if you could mark the positions of turrets in the clawmarks diagram. That would help to find some spots.

Let me eat some crow and say that I thought this model was a silly idea when you started it... but I was wrong -- you're really doing a good job and it's looking quite impressive.
Thanks, hearing that from you is a great compliment. I hope the final version will still be to everyones likeing.

PS: I might add at this point that I will most likely search for someone to texture this baby in the end...or at least provide me with some good looking textures.

For the total numbebr of turrets I think for the time beeing I will go with the numbers we see in the clawmarks. Maybe asking if its ok to add a AA turret to this or that place. Adding about 30 turrets to the existing ones and all the tubes will make every other ship in WC look like a joke...maybe except the Vesuvius or Midway.

Oh, sorry -- my number included the 22-or-so seen in the Claw Marks diagram... so it's not that many extra.

gevatter Lars said:
PS: I might add at this point that I will most likely search for someone to texture this baby in the end...or at least provide me with some good looking textures.
From the level of detail you're going with, I'd say that you shouldn't have any problems making it look good even with relatively bland textures... it'll certainly take some time, but you just need to figure out some good material settings and apply a bunch of generic hull specular maps and bump maps, and I'm sure it'll turn out great.

Eder said:
From the level of detail you're going with, I'd say that you shouldn't have any problems making it look good even with relatively bland textures... it'll certainly take some time, but you just need to figure out some good material settings and apply a bunch of generic hull specular maps and bump maps, and I'm sure it'll turn out great.

I agree with Eder there, you shouldn't need to worr too much about texturing provided your model the detail that you want. I've always found that the end result that way is much better as well. :)

Yeah as for texturing you could to a typical USN style Grey. It's a warship, it doesnt need to be colourful.

Oh, sorry -- my number included the 22-or-so seen in the Claw Marks diagram... so it's not that many extra.
Ok that isn't that much more. I would most likely concider them to be AA type turrets. Depending of their placement that would give the Bengal-class a great covering to every different angle.
Would it be to much to just go with the number and search for a good spot to place the additinal ones myself?

Textures
As generic texture I thought about just taking some of Sagas basic texture and work with that. I have allready made shinemaps for Saga with these maps so it would be less work.
For coloring...well I think I will go with eather the green of the original or a blue one. I liked blue ^_^

Another thing. I have started a missile based anti-torpedo system when I saw that Load didn't had any such system in his weapon list for the ship. So I came up with two sulotions for the stuff I allready made.

First is some kind of a escape pod launcher or some shafts for maintaince workers.
(This concept isn't finished)
AA_missile_concept.jpg

AA_missile_concept_close.jpg

The other idea was of using the space to put in an AA defence turret with lasers.
I would like to chanhe the lasers to maybe something similar to a stormfire-massdriver system. I think that would be possible since we don't see any differance between the Laserfire of the turrets and the massdriver fire from the Scimitar in the Series. Also it would look just better.
Here is the current AA laser turret.
AA_laserturret_concept.jpg

AA_laserturret_concept_close.jpg

Question is do we have somewhere in WCATV a turret at this position or should it just stay there or is it better to use the other option?

PS: If the images are to much for some modem users to load it would be nice if someone could tell me if its possible to resice them via some forum code or else I will just post links to the images for easier loading.

My notes say we see 35 dual laser turrets, 6 triple laser turrets and 1 single laser turret at the most... but it'd take some research to go through the various models and Academy scenes to figure out exactly where they are (which I'm happy to do if you're interested in including all that).

Hey LOAF, I know that it would probably be a ton of work, but I would be interested to see how many turrets are large caliber and how many are small.

All of the 'turrets' are fighter caliber weapons. The eight heavy laser 'batteries' on the wings are Capship v. Capship weapons.

My question is this, could we appropriate a similar number of turrets to other vessels of the same size? Would a ship like the Concordia (WC2) have a similar number of fighter defense turrets?

My question is this, could we appropriate a similar number of turrets to other vessels of the same size? Would a ship like the Concordia (WC2) have a similar number of fighter defense turrets?

The Concordia tactical display from WC2 shows some 21 red dots. On fighters, these red dots represent weapons systems (missile and gun). May we assume that these red dots also represent guns and missiles/torpedoes on the Concordia? They could also be sensor sytems though.

wc2confederation-vdu.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Weapon Scheme- Bengal CVS

Hey guys, using the information that you have provided about the turrets on the Bengal class, here is what I have come up with.

* 8 dual Laser Batteries (Heavy Anti-Shipping Guns mounted on the wings)

* 1 single Laser Battery (Heavy A/S gun mounted on the belly underside)

* 7 triple Heavy Laser Turrets (like those seen on the Concordia SuperCruiser model near the bridge superstructure)

* 14 dual Heavy Laser Turrets (like those seen on the Ranger and Concordia class CVs)

* 1-2 Flak guns (as seen on the Kilrathi Saga and SNES WC1 ports)

* 40 missile tubes (used for CSM and space-to-ground munitions. In or around 2634/2635, these were also converted to fire torpedoes).

What do you guys think?

Back