New take on Hellcat V

NightBall06

Chief Petty Officer
Well… it’s a Start… is it not?
Had to start on my own since that friend of mine got caught by Corona 😓. - He’s fine so far ..
So here are my first own steps in Blender 😬
Question to all of you: How to I now make the model “rounder”

Attachments

• B5CC87AE-BA7B-441B-93CF-E9CE59CAF87A.png
    B5CC87AE-BA7B-441B-93CF-E9CE59CAF87A.png
    46.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Its_a_start_aint_it_3.PNG
    Its_a_start_aint_it_3.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • Its_a_start_aint_it_4.PNG
    Its_a_start_aint_it_4.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:

DefianceIndustries

Rear Admiral
Well… it’s a Start… ain’t it?
Had to start on my own since that friend of mine got caught by Corona 😓. - He’s fine so far ..
So here are my first own steps in Blender 😬
Question to all of you: How to I now make the model “rounder”
Subsurface modifier will add geometry and smooth the edges, you will have to mark sharp or bevel the edges that you want to retain a sharp edge.

You can also bevel edges ro achieve similar results. Play around a bit.

NightBall06

Chief Petty Officer
Subsurface modifier will add geometry and smooth the edges, you will have to mark sharp or bevel the edges that you want to retain a sharp edge.

You can also bevel edges ro achieve similar results. Play around a bit.
Thanks for your quick answer
I do have so many questions :-D ...
First of - Your suggestion: Is that a 1+2 solution or rather a "A or B"? ... Because I was trying Beveling the edges. Worked fine, but didn't looked like I imagined it...
Second question: Beveling the edges - Do I do this before or after I created all parts?
Third: How do I create spline curves? meaning lines with an arc? Especially at the nose I'd like to do it...
Fourth: Is there a way to subtract parts of a body if it collides with another? - For example my wings right now are partially inside the main body ...

Thank you very much in advance.

DefianceIndustries

Rear Admiral
Thanks for your quick answer
I do have so many questions :-D ...
First of - Your suggestion: Is that a 1+2 solution or rather a "A or B"? ... Because I was trying Beveling the edges. Worked fine, but didn't looked like I imagined it...
Second question: Beveling the edges - Do I do this before or after I created all parts?
Third: How do I create spline curves? meaning lines with an arc? Especially at the nose I'd like to do it...
Fourth: Is there a way to subtract parts of a body if it collides with another? - For example my wings right now are partially inside the main body ...

Thank you very much in advance.
Hmmm ok well let's take these in sequence:

1. Subsurf will bend your corners but more than you may like, in that case you can use bevel to force the angles back to what you're looking for. For example, you can take a cube, apply subsurf and after two iterations you'll have a UV sphere. *you have to play with it, it's kinda hard to explain. So short answer: you'll need both, especially for hard surface modelling like a fighter. also - DO NOT APPLY the subsurf until you are happy with the results and or are finished monkeying around. Once you do, the mod will add all that extra geometry so making adjustments after the fact are onerous. If you're PC can handle it, model it with the modifier on until the end.

2. As a general rule, I tend to join my meshes before beveling, but sometimes it causes some issues at the joins (especially if you have doubled verticies at that point) always remove doubles after any join/merge. sometime, wonky results are unavoidable and you'll have to go play around with some vertex manipulation to straighten the edges. But that's up to you, dealer's choice as it were.

3. How to create curves? Add->curve->spline. You can also convert the curve to a mesh when you're happy with it.

4. Yes! Your friend is the Boolean modifier! You can use the union function to merge meshes and delete the overlapping geometry. If you get funkiness, change the solver from exact to fast.

Hope this helps.

NightBall06

Chief Petty Officer
Hmmm ok well let's take these in sequence:

1. Subsurf will bend your corners but more than you may like, in that case you can use bevel to force the angles back to what you're looking for. For example, you can take a cube, apply subsurf and after two iterations you'll have a UV sphere. *you have to play with it, it's kinda hard to explain. So short answer: you'll need both, especially for hard surface modelling like a fighter. also - DO NOT APPLY the subsurf until you are happy with the results and or are finished monkeying around. Once you do, the mod will add all that extra geometry so making adjustments after the fact are onerous. If you're PC can handle it, model it with the modifier on until the end.

2. As a general rule, I tend to join my meshes before beveling, but sometimes it causes some issues at the joins (especially if you have doubled verticies at that point) always remove doubles after any join/merge. sometime, wonky results are unavoidable and you'll have to go play around with some vertex manipulation to straighten the edges. But that's up to you, dealer's choice as it were.

3. How to create curves? Add->curve->spline. You can also convert the curve to a mesh when you're happy with it.

4. Yes! Your friend is the Boolean modifier! You can use the union function to merge meshes and delete the overlapping geometry. If you get funkiness, change the solver from exact to fast.

Hope this helps.
Thank you very much. It's quite some help. Will try it...
But I have to admit subsurf is - for the moment at least - a bit too confusing. So I decided to slowly continue creating my parts and then later on try subsurf. Speaking of: Here are the next parts: The intakes ...
Here I was wondering... did you, or Klavs model every single fin inside?

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2021-11-30 um 23.50.31.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2021-11-30 um 23.50.31.png
    324.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Bildschirmfoto 2021-11-30 um 23.51.07.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2021-11-30 um 23.51.07.png
    270.5 KB · Views: 14