New Ships....

It's still not working. This belongs in Fan Projects and Editing, and please, try not to stretch the zone out too much. Not everyone runs at 1600x1200.

Super Starship

Actually, I would like to see a super carrier. Something that could carry two Cerberus Class carriers and is a ship killer. I would call it the AMS(Anti-matter Missle Ship) Nostridomus, becuase he pridicted the nuclear bomb. Oh, and I would like it to carry 3 wings of Dragon heavy fighters for defense.

Re: Super Starship

Originally posted by Nuclearbox
Actually, I would like to see a super carrier. Something that could carry two Cerberus Class carriers and is a ship killer.
Why "carry" two completely independent capital ships? Oh, and the CERBERUS isn't a carrier, it's a quick-strike cruiser.

I would call it the AMS(Anti-matter Missle Ship) Nostridomus, becuase he pridicted the nuclear bomb.
If it's Confed, it would be the TCS NOSTRADAMUS, ASM-XX. ASM would be its classification, not it's factional prefix.

Oh, and I would like it to carry 3 wings of Dragon heavy fighters for defense.
Curious...why the Dragon (or Lance, for those of you who insist on calling it such)? It was complete overkill for its time(re: munch), and at the current time (2681) isn't even the best fighter in Confed.

Because Phenix, say you jump through the portal, and the enmy sees one ship(and a huge one at that), the ship releases the Cerbrus QS's and hides them in an asreoid belt or something. Instant ambush. Also phoenix, I am new to this community and frankly, you can call it what you like, but remember, it's MY ship. It's defense, nothing more, let the Cerberus's take care of the dogfighting. Let the dragons do torpedo itersepts and the like.

But why would you want something to carry a competely independent ship? Hades' are quite capable of conducting strikes without needing to be carried by some sort of giant ship.

(And the Cerberus is *Hades* class, not Cerberus class).

Besides which, your "super carrier" would be enormously expensive, far too expensive for peacetime Confed, and would make one almighty big target. You refer to Hades dogfighting, but if you every played SO, the Cerberus wasn't all that great in a fight. Without its fighters, it was a sitting duck. (Well, all right, it did have that huge plasma gun, and the tachyons, but they didn't do all that much good most of the time.)

Actually, who needs modifications or totaly new fighter classes. I think that BlackVampire and -Wasp are perfectly capable takin care of attacks and intercepts. Those would be my choises. My own favorite of all ships at anytime in WC universe is Wasp. Manouverability, speed and firepower are all present in it.

Also. Id like to say that the "Dragon"(or what ever it name used to be) was(is?) damn good fighter. The name doesn't afterall effect fighter's specs and that what it can do.

For a new ship I say a dragon that has a modified cloaker that actually works in WCP time and replace the lt. plasma with twin Dust cannons, maybe increase speed/shields by a little and I will kill everything

Well, I don't have to answer this question cause I've already designed and built one. Check it out at my site http://www.wcramovie.cjb.net.

The TCS Invincible, it's a Stealth Carrier and it has an FED Cannon underneath the hangar bay. FED stands for "Forced Electron Dispersion", in other words it pulls every electron out of whatever it is fired at. Purely fictional but I thought it would be neat idea.

And I agree that the Dragon is a kick ass fighter, have no idea why they scrapped it in Prophecy, perhaps it was just because the Midway didn't have any. Also you'd think they would have at least one fighter capable of cloaking!

Ok well, i am a dragon/lance fan but I also must explain why it is not used to mr. royal marine.
1. They cost as much as a frigate
2. Cloak does not work in 81, that is why I said have a cloaker that actually works
3. Compared to the new fighters (panther/vampire) they have a very light missile loadout
4. They are slow compared to modern fighters, but their m/am drives partially compensate but those things are expensive as hell.
these are just some reasons why they are not used. This is why I said my perfect fighter would be a modified dragon that had a cloaker that worked in 81 as well as increased speed and shielding. Since I am not a huge missile person, I am not concerned by the Dragon/Lance's lack of missiles. In conclusion while the Dragon is almost a perfect ship for its time period and with a few mods would be in 81, it is just too cost prohibitive to be used on any kind of large scale deployment, like aboard the midway. Case in point only 40 of them were ever made as far as we know.

Re: Super Starship/Cloak/Dragon

Actually, I would like to see a super carrier. Something that could carry two Cerberus Class carriers and is a ship killer.
The really big problem with such a massive ship is that it is such a massive ship.
IIRC in WCIV, the Vesuvius had to take the long way round to get from the Border Worlds to Sol because its size prohibited the use of certain jump points.
Your design would have to be at least four times the size of a Vesuvius to hold two Hades plus its own fighters.
This would seriously limit its usefulness in the long run.

As for cloaking fighters, (I'm sure LOAF will correct me if I am wrong) I think some the Excalibur still has cloaking abilities (wasn't something mentioned in the SO fiction?) but the Nephilim can see through them. Plus, it is an expensive piece of hardware, not really necessary for a military not officially at war.

Dragons (until you decide among yourselves what to call it, I'll stick with Dragon). The only plus the dragon has over any other Heavy Fighter in 2681 is its ability to afterburn indefinately. That's it. A Vampire for instance, can out fly it, out run it, out gun it and carry more missiles (a hell of a lot more!).
By 2681 it would IMO be relegated to the role of Medium fighter when compared to the current crop of Heavies. And a very expensive one at that!

Super ships...
Fighters:
I always had a soft spot for the Piranha. Fast, nimble and that stormfire rocks. The Tigershark, however is mediocre in the manoeuvrability department...but it packs a serious punch.
Take the best from both of them, mix it together and you will have a Light/Meduim Fighter beyond compare!

Capships:
Carriers are all well and good, but I would rather have a ship capable of defending them. The Plunkett is good, but those BFG's aren't really designed for shooting at fighters (at least not enemy ones anyway!).
The Murphy is the complete opposite. Too light to go against capships (and not very effective against fighters in the long run).
Something in between would be a Frigate with twice the turrets found on the Murphy plus one of those BFG's from the Plunkett.

At least you guys are kinda of seeing what I am getting at. Yes the dragons would need to be modified because of it's slowness. As for the Hades class caps, they won't dogfight, thier fighters will. And Fenris, that's what my big mfer of my ship is, a cap ship killer, carries anti-matter missles. Also, it would probably have a planet killing missle.

Actually the Dragon is infact better than any '81 heavy except for the Vampire. It beats the Panther as well as anyother ship. Those Fission cannons are great, plus it has 2 plasma guns which can do cap ship damnage as well as 2 torp mounts which are also good anti-cap weapons

The F-103B Excalibur (wartime) has a cloak... the A, C and D do not. The post war RF-103 recon variant mounts a cloaking device.

Back