New ship

This thread is based on the assumption that we humans could win against the Nephilum. The prophecy of Sivar didn't exactly give much hope for victory, "...and the Dark Age will decend." Very Zoroastrian in thought.

Yeah. I saw that.

In the fic, Confed won, but at the cost of billions of lives, hundreds of ships, millions of fighters and it's integrity. Not a overwhelming victory, just enough to get the Nephilim out of their territories.

Where did they get the term Nephilum? I heard a rumor that there's some connection to Jewish mythology. Is this BS or is there any truth to it?

Hurray, I get to repost one of my most favourite posts... Because I visited Ask the Rabbi

TC said:
But that's wrong... since Nephilim is an actual word... It's in the Old Testament. Let's go and do what TC always does, and Ask the Rabbi (note: TC does not generally ask the Rabbi):

Dear Rabbi,

What are the "Nephilim" mentioned in the Torah?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Nephilim are mentioned twice in the Torah (Genesis 6, Numbers 13). "Nephilim" means "the fallen ones." They were people of giant stature. It is not clear how large they were, but were large enough to scare other people. The Targum Yerushalmi, which is a Midrash, explains that they were Angels who descended to the Earth. According to this they were called fallen ones because they fell from their heavenly stature. The Ramban explains otherwise, that they were the other children of Adam. Because Adam, the First Man, was the handiwork of G-d, his children were of greater physical stature than their descendants. Because these people were so close to the Creator, they knew that they had no grandfather, they should have been spiritually elevated. Because they didn't live up to their potential they were considered "fallen ones."

Sounds like suck to me

Umm . . having read the story (partially. It got terribly boring rather quickly) I've decided that it's a bad idea to take something as good as Wing Commander and turn it into a long, drawn-out mess such as Star Trek or Babylon-5. Why not just let it end where the games left off? We stomped on the bugs a bit, they left, and who cares after that? Sure, I've got all seven novels from Baen books, and a mess of other lit. but I just don't see the point in taking something that's cool and turning it into a nerdy fantasy trip. What's next? Pilots with mystical, magical powers? A race of aliens that can change shape?

It seems to me that, when a sci-fi becomes good, people try to do too much and take it too far, and the result is always bad. I personally dread the day that I hear about a Wing Commander Convention, full of overweight, pimple-faced kids all wishing they could be Chris Blair. Or Todd Marshall. Or Lance Casey. Any of them. Wing Commander, when left to itself, is a tasteful and 'stand-alone' universe that doesn't need a bunch Stargate, Babylon-5, and Earth 2 fans screwing it up. If you're going to write cheap, run-of-the-mill sci-fantasy, create your own universe, with you own alien races, and your own storyline. Even my own Privateer stories, which are based around WC Privateer, don't occur in the WC universe. Don't take something I dearly love and rape it, please.

Nick Blitz

I personally dread the day that I hear about a Wing Commander Convention, full of overweight, pimple-faced kids all wishing they could be Chris Blair. Or Todd Marshall. Or Lance Casey. Any of them.

Have you heard about Dragon*Con?

it's a bad idea to take something as good as Wing Commander and turn it into a long, drawn-out mess such as Star Trek or Babylon-5.

Oh, well I don't think you have anything to worry about because a number of fans feel the same way and try to keep the stories/mods within the context of good WC-most of the time. :D

"Have you heard about Dragon*Con?"

Oh, Christ! I just read a post or two about it. That's just sad. Sad sad sad. Please, kids, honestly, shoot yourselves. It's that hopeless.

Nick Blitz

D*C was a lot of fun last year, and it should be... up to 30% more fun this year! Everybody should come, it's great to have some real human contact with other WC fans.

overmortal said:
Oh, Christ! I just read a post or two about it. That's just sad. Sad sad sad. Please, kids, honestly, shoot yourselves. It's that hopeless.
We're not the ones who visit a WC fan site, register at its forums, and then rant about WC fans being overweight, pimple-faced kids all wishing they could be Chris Blair, though. Do you really have nothing better to do with your time? Now, *that's* pathetic.

I mean, I can understand your complaints about fanfic. What I don't understand is your logic when you widen these complaints to encompass the whole community, of which you have just willingly become a part. Is your self-esteem problem really that bad?

I wouldn't want to be Chris Blair. I'd rather have been one of the no-name privateers somewhere in Gemini making a quick buck on random, low-level jobs. With a decked out Orion (yes I have a thing for crappy ships). ;)

Quarto said:
We're not the ones who visit a WC fan site, register at its forums, and then rant about WC fans being overweight, pimple-faced kids all wishing they could be Chris Blair,

In all honesty, I stumbled across this site, and indeed, this forum and community, during a search for a method to get Privateer to run on my dying system. While I was here, and feeling quite happy to know that there is indeed a WC community, I figured I'd take a cheap shot at promoting my Privateer stories. The thing is that I draw the line at conventions, and people who take it upon themselves to turn a perfectly good sci-fi into a cheesy sci-fantasy. Those are two separate qualms, by the way.

Also, and this is just me personally, I'm in it for the flying. Sure, I notice when continuity is wrong. God forbid any of us have to relive the continuity errors of the WC movie. What a nightmare! But, also, I'm not going to go out of my way to try and justify the movie to the games. The movie was just inaccurate, point blank. And I don't spend my waking hours debating over which missile loadouts would and wouldn't work on this new bomber design I dreamed up. Or why we didn't see such-and-such ship in WC#. Matter of fact, though I am a Wing Commander fan, I only play it (and, by "it", I mean any game in the series) a handful of times per MONTH. It's a hobby to me, not a lifestyle, and I'm sure that there are others like me on this board who enjoy wing commander in some of their free time, but don't lay awake at night longing for Angel. Or debating over whether I should choose Chief Technician Rachael Corriolis or Lt. Robin Peters (Flint is the obvious choice, by the way. She's not a filthy whore like Rachael. And she wouldn't have bailed on Chris during his farmer days . . . had she not bought the farm on Kilrah.)

In all things, know this, my friends: Too much of any good thing will become a bad thing. And, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Nick Blitz

t.c.cgi said:
I wouldn't want to be Chris Blair. I'd rather have been one of the no-name privateers somewhere in Gemini making a quick buck on random, low-level jobs. With a decked out Orion (yes I have a thing for crappy ships). ;)

If you have a thing for crappy ships, stick with a Tarsus. Nothing like scooting around Potter Quadrant in a "Flying Winebago". You'll make tons of friends*, and never^ have to make any repairs.

Nick Blitz

*- Pirates who beat you mercilessly . . . and Retros
^- always. always, always, always.

Ehh, this has got to be a joke.

You don't worry about the movie, but consider it "a nightmare"...

You don't 'debate' which WC3 girl to choose, but you will post your strong opinion to a Wing Commander message board...

... and you think 'cons are geeky, but you write fanfic? :)

"It's a hobby to me, not a lifestyle, and I'm sure that there are others like me on this board who enjoy wing commander in some of their free time, but don't lay awake at night longing for Angel. Or debating over whether I should choose Chief Technician Rachael Corriolis or Lt. Robin Peters (Flint is the obvious choice, by the way. She's not a filthy whore like Rachael."

Overmortal-where did you get this name from-very few of us do that and I certainly don't. I am thinking about more pressing matters like getting stuff done (fan projects, summer reading, etc.) at night and during the day. Plus, I don't think anybody does think about that except who to choose (Racheal or Flint) when they get to that point in the game.

P.S. your fanfic is good, but too much like WC(priv.) to be another universe. a.k.a. a rip-off if it was to be sold

overmortal said:
While I was here, and feeling quite happy to know that there is indeed a WC community, I figured I'd take a cheap shot at promoting my Privateer stories.
In that case, you shouldn't even complain about the other fanfic here, because I rather doubt yours are any less atrocious.

The thing is that I draw the line at conventions, and people who take it upon themselves to turn a perfectly good sci-fi into a cheesy sci-fantasy.
Right, right. Because, after all, anyone who'd want to meet in person with other people who share the same hobby must be a stupid, pathetic teenager who lays awake at night longing for Angel.

It's a hobby to me, not a lifestyle, and I'm sure that there are others like me on this board who enjoy wing commander in some of their free time, but don't lay awake at night longing for Angel.
Yeah, we sure have a lot of people like that here. No, wait. We don't.

Or debating over whether I should choose Chief Technician Rachael Corriolis or Lt. Robin Peters (Flint is the obvious choice, by the way. She's not a filthy whore like Rachael. And she wouldn't have bailed on Chris during his farmer days . . . had she not bought the farm on Kilrah.)
Oook... so, you don't debate which should be chosen... because you've already decided the answer. Oh yeah, I can see how that makes you so much less pathetic than the rest of us.

I guess logic just isn't very popular where you live :rolleyes:.

Logic takes on a strange, fermented form in North Carolina. It also presides in a trailer with it's sister, Fuzzy Logic.

Alright, kids, that's perfectly fine. If it's in your maturity level to insult the entire state of North Carolina, then so be it. I'm honestly not that offended. Go ahead and have your fun. Blow your load, even. I'll even chuckle along with you, since there ARE a lot of rednecks in this state, admittedly.

What surprises me is that my opinions have offended you so greatly. Quite seriously, I'm just one person. If I'm THAT wrong, then why not ignore me altogether? If my logic is indeed that bad, then humor me with a chuckle and go about your conventioning with my blessing.

And, for those of you who have chosen to attack the Privateer stories, that's fine, too. Admittely, when I was 17 I wasn't the best writer. I'm still not on par with a professional novelist. I can admit it when I'm outmatched. But, honestly, while there are some curious similarities (it is, after all, based upon WC privateer), we distinctly made it a point to use technology/terminology that is "public domain" to science fiction. Such as lasers, shields, hyperspace, jumping, piracy, missiles, planets, stars, star systems, etc etc. . . I realize that most of you probably think I'm Satan incarnate by now, but what we've written IS sci-fi, and therefore will, by its very definition, bear some resemblance to WC, intentional or not.

As for whatever other complaints you have against me, I have pre-chosen my response for you: Blow me.

Nick Blitz

overmortal said:
What surprises me is that my opinions have offended you so greatly. Quite seriously, I'm just one person. If I'm THAT wrong, then why not ignore me altogether? If my logic is indeed that bad, then humor me with a chuckle and go about your conventioning with my blessing.
On the contrary, you haven't offended any of us in the least. Most people here got over their self-esteem problems back in their teens, so there isn't much a crazy stranger like you could say to bother us. Your bizarre and illogical stance is funny (and, in a way, tragic) enough that it was worth making a few comments about it, but that's about the limit of the effect your posts have had on me and the others here.

My apologies if, by commenting on your logic, we made it seem like we actually give a damn about what you have to say :).

As best I can see, only one of the several people who pointed out that you're a horrible hypocrite commented on where you live... so it's sort of an odd point to focus on. Any port in a storm, I suppose (G)

Back