New Saga Rapier!

Good... GOD...

Can I just say something here?

Firstly, thanks everyone for the great response. I originally created the Rapier model as a way for me to express my affection for Wing Commander in a time when the future of the series appeared rather dim, and prior to any involvement in Saga, or even any vague news about Arena.

Delance, AWESOME pic. I would have killed for that Rapier mesh about a year ago, but I couldn't find one, so I just had to make my own.

My first WC experience was SWC on the mac, so the influences from the SWC Rapier are obvious, but I also tried to be true to the classic WC2 Rapier (and ER & FA novel versions).

Saga contacted me and wanted to use the ships, I learned SO MUCH about UV mapping and game model creation during this process, and I wouldn't have my other real jobs today without involvement in Saga.

I would hope that everyone who attempts to create ANY WC content would recieve as warm as a reception as my little ships, and I'm a bit horrified to see my work inadvertantly sparking a 3 page flame war.

It seems the old school WC fanbase is hopelessly divisive, and it's a shame to see what ought to be a broadly based fan group splintering into rants, refutes and flames.

I hope my previously seen content, as well as unseen things yet to be seen in the eventual release of Saga (a group of dedicated artists and modders striving for high quality content and sacrificing years and years of their FREE TIME, just like any mod group, for precious little thanks, and it seems, derision and scorn.) will continue to entertain and provide nostalgia for fans of the games both new and old, but the bickering and arguing has seriously soured me on the WC community.

I may create new WC stuff someday, but it seems unlikely that I will be inclined to spend my time and energy on artwork that only seems to drive wedges between groups of an already preciously small fanbase.

If I'm not making people happy anymore, there's no reason to do it.

Cheers to everyone, I'll see you all in hell! :D

-A

I would hope that everyone who attempts to create ANY WC content would recieve as warm as a reception as my little ships, and I'm a bit horrified to see my work inadvertantly sparking a 3 page flame war.

I think you're protesting too much. The now politely resolved argument (and seriously, *flame war*? Am I the only person who lived through the Usenet?) really had nothing to do with your artwork.

Wich would include Arena... Right?

Of course.

It seems the old school WC fanbase is hopelessly divisive, and it's a shame to see what ought to be a broadly based fan group splintering into rants, refutes and flames.

To reply again more broadly, it is absolutely natural - and necessary - for any fan group to have such arguments. It's a sign of a dying community when there *isn't* a heated debate every once in a while... because it means that everyone has accepted their lot in the fandom or fallen under the spell of some single cult of personality. A community that simply agrees with itself about everything does not grow or explore new ideas. It doesn't improve creative efforts, it salutes or decries them by rote - and that's pretty sad.

I worry when we stop fighting, because it means there's a loss of passion. In the early 1990s, when Wing Commander was strong and the fanbase was twice its current size there were arguments *constantly*. From continuity to how art should be stylized to how fans should be treated to how fan works should be disseminated. Yes, yelling at eachother sucks from a basic human respect standpoint... but it isn't some sign that we're all doomed. Just the opposite.

Delance, AWESOME pic. I would have killed for that Rapier mesh about a year ago, but I couldn't find one, so I just had to make my own.

Bob rendered that Rapier, from the original SWC mesh. I can send you a copy if you want.

A one-page argument happened to occur in a three-page thread that also contained discussion about your Rapier model. A dozen or so people chimed in, and a few dozen people read it on the sidelines. This is out of several hundred people who regularly read the Forums and several thousand who regularly visit the site (and have seen your pictures). I wouldn't worry about it.

I may create new WC stuff someday, but it seems unlikely that I will be inclined to spend my time and energy on artwork that only seems to drive wedges between groups of an already preciously small fanbase.

If I'm not making people happy anymore, there's no reason to do it.

All anyone can do is generate the stuff they're in the mood for, but this response seems out of proportion with what's happened.

Indeed. Don't take it the wrong way. Discussion (that you named a flame war) had virtually nothing to do with your topic, it could have happened anywhere. That said i would really be sorry if that discouraged you from making new models, posting new topics, or contributing anyway to WC and/or CIC.

And the model you made looks really good. :)

Back