New Release for Wing Commander

Would you like a sequel in the WC series to be produced within the next 2 years?

• Yes

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Yes and I would definitely buy it

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • Yes and I would register to buy it

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Yes and given a release certificate I would pay in advance

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Yes and I'd invest in $50 shares (at least 1)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Options 3 and 5 combined

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Nah... the glory days are over

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters

Stormbird

Spaceman
Ok you guys, i'm gonna put the stupidest question ever to you.
Nevertheless, when we get enough reactions, maybe we can get EA to listen... or find a path to Chris Roberts himself....

The Lord's ways are mysterious

so PS... spread the word about this poll, as it might be posted in the wrong place, or guests from other fansites would love2give an opinion

Opinions are like assholes, but,

I really do think another WC game wouldn't be nearly as good as the previous ones were. All of the Origin staff involved in the early projects are now gone - and it's been too long without an addition to the series. While I think OUTSIDE groups are well capable of pulling off a magnificant project, I personally don't have confidence in Origin being able to recreate the magic that was once a great, classic game.

They might have the funds to do things, FMV etc, but I believe the creativity lies outside Origin.

I think you're being unfair, Akashra. I mean, you can't blame the rank-and-file people at Origin for the stupidity of EA's policymakers.
Take, for example, UO2. That was as creative as games could possibly get - you had an original world, many original concepts, et cetera. The project was canned not because it wasn't good, but because the people at EA suddenly realised that it would take customers away from UO.
As such, there is nothing wrong with the people at Origin. Except perhaps the lack of experience, since almost none of the old Maverick Team people work there any more :(.

Perhaps so, but it's still controlled by EA. Hence, I don't believe it would be as good. Wether it is purely because of the Origin staff or just because of EA acting boss, I really can't say, but one thing for sure is that things certainly aren't the same.

As for Priv3 being canned - Unfortunately, that's the way marketing works *sigh*. Make money or go out of business (lately, EA aren't doing the former).

I know there are lots of talented teams out there, Wing Commander is a great liscene and with the right team ofcourse a game as good as the old ones could be produced :)

Well, I can see why you might think that, but let us not forget that WC3, 4, and P were all made under the wings of EA, and turned out great. Even WCP - no matter how much they had to cut out, the game was still right up there with the best. So, the conclusion that this leads us to is that if EA was to actually allow Origin to make a game, as opposed to terminating the project halfway through, then it would probably be a great game.
Besides, on one occasion EA did allow an external company to make a WC game (P2), and the fans are still divided on whether it was one of the best WC games ever or the very worst.

Heh, I'd vote for the "worst" for Privateer 2. I hated it because it was NOT the game I wanted to play, and I wanted a "real" sequel to the original Privateer so badly.

I doubt "Origin" could make a Wing Commander game now. All of the flight people are gone, the Origin brand has been gutted to a one product label.... there's just nothing there anymore. Whether EA could make a good Wing Commander game... I just don't see it. The best EA products are from the people who still have a bit of autonomy left, such as Maxis. I'd love to be proven wrong though. So if EA is listening they need to make a kick butt sequel to Privateer set in Gemini Sector! to prove me wrong. I dare them! :)

Originally posted by Quarto
EA did allow an external company to make a WC game (P2), and the fans are still divided on whether it was one of the best WC games ever or the very worst.

In short, folks either swore BY it or swore AT it!...

Back