New Poll Focuses on Iconic Briefings (April 16, 2011)

I had to go with WC1 in a combination of A) nostalgia and B) I couldn't stand the way Eisen & Blair saluted each other. It's something that has always ALWAYS bugged me in military shows and movies. A salute should be simple, snappy, and not limp-wristed.

Guess it's just the vet in me.

Just to be different, I went for Wilford. Not for any reason but the way he says goodbye (decending finger of doom!).

The CD version of xwing had full voice for the mission briefings. The main missions with the Akbar-ish dude have that great wet/gravelly voice, and the historical/training missions had an old british dude that sounded like your great-grandfather. Awesome.

By comparison, I was really disappointed in the WC2 speech pack. The Kilrathi sounded nothing like how I imagined. Wasn't until prophecy that I thought it was finally right.

By comparison, I was really disappointed in the WC2 speech pack. The Kilrathi sounded nothing like how I imagined. Wasn't until prophecy that I thought it was finally right.

I think they used the same Kilrathi audio comms from WC 3/4. The only difference might be higher quality audio files.

The Prophecy Kilrathi had some plot-specific lines during the missions as well.

By comparison, I was really disappointed in the WC2 speech pack. The Kilrathi sounded nothing like how I imagined.
I thought it was all right. You have to remember it was made in 1991. Plus it was a huge improvement over the Kilrathi voices in the demo.

Heh, forgot about the demo voices. Ouch.

Privateer Kilrathi were also a bit poor, but then they went all out for the Steltek voice and that was great! Proves to me that it was possible, but I guess not as easy as today with the slew of free/low cost audio tools out there.

Good poll question.

I think people who started with the series before WC3 remember when the WC1 or WC2 briefings really were cutting edge. If someone started with briefings at WC3, I could see how they don't have quite the attachment to Colonel Halcyon the others do.

I'm someone who started with WC3 in High School, WC4 as an adult, followed by WC1, and yet I chose Halcyon. I liked that it was business and felt military. It wasn't overly emotional or sappy, just to the point with only occassional jokes. I could imagine that was closest to how my Dad's Air Force briefings were. It felt more realistic to me.

It's not quite fair though because in WC3, Blair gives briefings, but we just don't see the entire briefing. I suppose since he's so repetative: "These are thee mission objectives.. Oh... and one last thing..", those briefings aren't likely to be better than Halcyon's.

Captain Eisen seems to be ranking very highly in the poll. No question, he's one of the greatest officers in Wing Commander, he always knew how to nail the cats when it counted.

I chose Paladin, though, only because I thought his briefings in WC3 inspired a lot of confidence in the player, particularly during the T-bomb run. Halcyon is quite close too; I sadly never really got to play WCI in a complete run, but from what I've seen, Halcyon ought to have been an Admiral.

Back