new member, and just wanted to share a thought on wc4

Jdawg

Commodore
I recently just got back into PC gaming and the first game I got was wing commander 4 from GOG. I use to play this when it was a port on the PS1 and even though it had problems all due to the limitations of that game system, I loved (no strike that) adored Wing commander 3 and 4, so much in fact these two games along with the original Metal gear solid defined a lot of my youth. While I loved WC3 also I always felt wc4 is the culmination of all the effort throughout the series. I just wanted to post some brief thoughts in my opening message after joining this community (I wish I found this place long ago bc thats how much I love this series). I will post more in this thread later. having lunch with my girl. so gotta get ready

this will contain my thoughts and only one real minor spoiler

I just finished the game after yrs of never playing it and wow still lives up to the hype. I thought maybe I remembered this game thru rose colored glasses, and after playing it as an adult my opinion would change.. but hell no this is still a masterpiece. the story is amazing and even though some of their haircuts didnt age well lol, the story itself is still spectacular. the graphics and game play still hold up well too. I played the game on the hard level, I cant remember the name its the one above veteran. (although I did change the difficulty twice on two mission) but 24/26 missions on hard is not bad especially using a laggy 360 controller.

my only semi negative thought about the gameplay and design choice is (and this is where there is a minor spoiler) after you get the prototype ship aka the dragon ship the game becomes so simple its ridiculous. On one hand it makes sense to the story of how and why you get these ships (and you do feel like a badass flying them), but on the other hand it makes the final 5 to 6 missions so dang easy. its not that big of a deal though bc 80 percent of the game you will be fighting tooth and nail to beat some of these missions, so it all evens out.

I still love this game 9.5/10

Guess I'll say it first.

"Good to see a friendly ship."

You began your GoG WC adventure with what I always felt was Chris Robert's masterpiece of the series. Yes, the missiles hurt more, but it's just one aspect of the challenge. The Tyr planetary missions hold a special place in my heart for difficulty. Felt good using a mountain to block a missile.

The Dragon I interpret as a reward for all the hard work. I made one exception flying in Telamon, I didn't want to scare the locals or shoot down fellow UBW craft. Conscience is a pain in the ass no?

Don't forget to start where it all began, and fight the Kilrathi War in WC1. Still the most challenging missions of the series IMHO, especially when you reach the Secret Missions.

I must say my one regret with the CIC was not registering sooner. I've lurked for years but never really posted here, except some tech support once in awhile. Think I had an active account on the old Crius boards but I never used it much and probably got purged with the change-over. Star Citizen came out so I said to myself, "I need to establish my roots again." Here I sit and I say it's good to be back among friends (and rivals :D), even if I've never met a single one in person.

Welcome aboard, and enjoy the ride!

Guess I'll say it first.

"Good to see a friendly ship."

You began your GoG WC adventure with what I always felt was Chris Robert's masterpiece of the series. Yes, the missiles hurt more, but it's just one aspect of the challenge. The Tyr planetary missions hold a special place in my heart for difficulty. Felt good using a mountain to block a missile.

The Dragon I interpret as a reward for all the hard work. I made one exception flying in Telamon, I didn't want to scare the locals or shoot down fellow UBW craft. Conscience is a pain in the ass no?

Don't forget to start where it all began, and fight the Kilrathi War in WC1. Still the most challenging missions of the series IMHO, especially when you reach the Secret Missions.

I must say my one regret with the CIC was not registering sooner. I've lurked for years but never really posted here, except some tech support once in awhile. Think I had an active account on the old Crius boards but I never used it much and probably got purged with the change-over. Star Citizen came out so I said to myself, "I need to establish my roots again." Here I sit and I say it's good to be back among friends (and rivals :D), even if I've never met a single one in person.

Welcome aboard, and enjoy the ride!

thank you when I was real young maybe 6 to 7 I played wing commander 2 at a friends house many times. then yrs later while at eb game I saw wing commander 3 there and bought for the ps1. I fell in love all over again. then wing commander 4 came out for the ps1 and it was my fav game of the time next to metal gear solid. so after all these yrs I saw I could play them again thru gog and see the extra content. I jumped at the chance. (dont forget ps1 had to cut out some scenes and missions due to the limitations). I really do love this game. one of my fav characters who doesnt see much love is Pliers. I really like him a lot. I remember when I was doing a ship load out, he was just crapping all over maniac lol. I love it.

Welcome back!

As Whistler got to it first, I'll still repeat my welcome to everyone, It's always good to see a friendly ship!

My grip about WC34 is one a lot of us share...overpowered missiles. A single hit and you're done. It can make for some difficult situations on the higher difficulty levels when missiles are being released a lot more often.

some more general thoughts that will contain major spoilers just in case yo never played the game.

I have no problem with killing of a main character like vagabond in fact I applaud games, movies, and tv shows who take risk. my only problem is they didnt give him enough to do or say b4 they offed him. it seems like they brought him back just to kill him.

my only semi negative thought about the gameplay and design choice is (and this is where there is a minor spoiler) after you get the prototype ship aka the dragon ship the game becomes so simple its ridiculous. On one hand it makes sense to the story of how and why you get these ships (and you do feel like a badass flying them), but on the other hand it makes the final 5 to 6 missions so dang easy. its not that big of a deal though bc 80 percent of the game you will be fighting tooth and nail to beat some of these missions, so it all evens out.

I think the only missions where the Dragon/Lance is mandatory are the Axius infiltration mission, the Flashpack missions (either the Vesuvius or Ella Superbase), and the final mission. The rest of the missions, you can choose the regular Border Worlds ships if you prefer (or the Bearcat if you acquired those).

I think the only missions where the Dragon/Lance is mandatory are the Axius infiltration mission, the Flashpack missions (either the Vesuvius or Ella Superbase), and the final mission. The rest of the missions, you can choose the regular Border Worlds ships if you prefer (or the Bearcat if you acquired those).

I believe your right but I play the game like I am in the story and if this were real life and you were out gunned and out manned you would use any extra advantage you would have aka the dragon lol. one of my other minor gripes is even going against other dragons the game is pretty easy. "the boss fight" was over in like 5 mins bc seether cloaked (and yet bc i was in a dragon I could still see his ship) so I matched speeds behind him while he was cloaked and lasered him to death on hard, he never hit me once lol.

I think I only ever bothered using a full missile salvo when fighting Seether... get a lock and play chicken and fire your entire loadout just before turning away on the first pass... That fight always ended quickly... Mind you I haven't done this in a looong time so I'm not sure how this would play out on the higher difficulties anymore.

I think I only ever bothered using a full missile salvo when fighting Seether... get a lock and play chicken and fire your entire loadout just before turning away on the first pass... That fight always ended quickly... Mind you I haven't done this in a looong time so I'm not sure how this would play out on the higher difficulties anymore.

either way its an easy fight

I have no problem with killing of a main character like vagabond in fact I applaud games, movies, and tv shows who take risk. my only problem is they didnt give him enough to do or say b4 they offed him. it seems like they brought him back just to kill him.
Well, I had feelings like "what a waste" or "it was too early" too. Maybe they did that on purpose... After all, such dramatic twists are intended to provoke an emotional response. And the story of WC4 does a very good job in challenging the player in that respect. Will you let your anger direct your decisions or will you stay controlled?

Well, I had feelings like "what a waste" or "it was too early" too. Maybe they did that on purpose... After all, such dramatic twists are intended to provoke an emotional response. And the story of WC4 does a very good job in challenging the player in that respect. Will you let your anger direct your decisions or will you stay controlled?

good pt. I still think they could have given him more time, by cutting down on the time given to catscratch. I like the catscratch character but it seems like its a repeat of the flash character arc (basically a young pilot that blair takes under his wing), except flash was a dick. plus the glitch where no matter what catscratch is gone from the game near the end anyways

Last edited:
I didn't like Catscratch. He was a pain in the ass and a worthless pilot. Flash was a douchebag alright but at least he knew how to fly.

Primate or bust as a wingman in WC4.

"Maybe I'll just negotiate with them today...on second thought!"

I liked Hawk and Excell. She's hilarious with lines like:

"Those fools can't touch my ass!"

&

"Gonna kick me some Confed butt."

The gal scores well in my missions. Primate always rounded off the 3 wingmen pairs the best for me. Flown with Vagabond as long as he was ...ehm... available.

I liked Hawk and Excell. She's hilarious with lines like:

"Those fools can't touch my ass!"

&

"Gonna kick me some Confed butt."

The gal scores well in my missions. Primate always rounded off the 3 wingmen pairs the best for me. Flown with Vagabond as long as he was ...ehm... available.
primate who is voiced by wingman peterson is the best fighter to me followed closely by hawk and panther

I didn't like Catscratch. He was a pain in the ass and a worthless pilot. Flash was a douchebag alright but at least he knew how to fly.
as far as catscratch he didnt really bother meI thought his whole subplot romacne with sosa went nowhere quick thought

The "sneak past Ella" mission is quite tough if you are flying a Border Worlds craft instead of the Dragon or Bearcat. If you choose the Banshee, then you will have trouble shooting down enemies fast enough (it's faster to use the Leech cannons on the Longbows than to batter them down with the lasers). If you go with the Vindicator or the Avenger, then you will have trouble getting around the battlefield fast enough to intercept all of the bombers before they can launch any torpedoes.

Back