New Indiana Jones

Kilrathikiller

Rear Admiral
Did anybody else notice Dallas from Prophecy in this movie?
Also John Hurt is also in the movie.
I just miss John Rhys Davies in it though

Also the Dolby Digital train thing at the beginning really reminded me of the old Wing Commander games, I think Wing Commander 4 was the one that had that beginning.

Yeah, WC 4 had that train which I thought to be extremely cool because I only saw it in theaters before.

Here in Germany, there was no train before the movie. It's been a very long time since I saw the Dolby train. :(

Yeah, WC 4 had that train which I thought to be extremely cool because I only saw it in theaters before.

Here in Germany, there was no train before the movie. It's been a very long time since I saw the Dolby train. :(

There wasn't a train in the theater here either but I think that's because the theater in my town doesn't actually have a dolby system.

The movie is fantastic. People who are critical towards it are scrutinizing it like they would something like 2001 or Solaris or some other goddamn thing. Now we have a zillion e-tards on the internet trying to agree with each other and stroking their chins, trying to sound smart - when the smart people know enough to turn off their brains when going to see the movie.

Yes, its stupid and silly and full of non-stop action. Its Indiana Jones.

Pretty much...

Indiana Jones movies are popcorn flicks...a little slapstick humor...some big, gratifying explosions...the good guy gets the girl and the treasure...the bad guy gets incinerated in a volcano. You know...just a *gasp* fun, brainless, exciting movie...

I agree. It's definitely fun.

I miss the "obligatory" Harrison Ford vs. Pat Roach duel though. (Pat died in 2004)

The movie is ok. Its fun, but not all that awesome. Probably still better then the second one. What was great were all the little homages to the old ones.
My only real complaint is the story. Didn't they have any pure ancient legends remaining?

People who dislike Temple Of Doom always have the dumbest excuses to dislike it.

I saw Indy 4 the day it came out, as a self-gift for my b-day.

Overall, I think I got my $6.50 worth, but there were things that I would've preferred done differently... or in some cases not done at all.

Brief rundown:

What I liked: action, a little less of a humor focus than Crusade (which I didn't dislike, just didn't float my boat as much), and... well, Indy kicking ass, but not to the total exclusion of considering things instead of just jumping in swinging.

What I didn't like: The villains weren't, except for Madame Icecube (whatever her name, I forget and it doesn't really matter), anyone I could really work up hatred (or anything stronger than apathy, at that) for, the way I could the Nazis in the previous films. I also would've preferred less of the British guy, and none at all of junior, who for a supposedly smart and tough kid didn't seem much of either.

Personally, I would've preferred something set earlier, say during the OSS time mentioned in the post-nuke interrogation scene (and don't get me started on the "invulnerable fridge with inertia dampeners" thing...), though I understand the need for a "fast forward" given that Ford isn't getting any younger.

And of the complaints online I've seen about "letting Lucas run wild with things", no one seems (though I haven't actively sought out online opinions) to mention the obvious Lucas connection: the race at the beginning, which seemed to have absolutely no reason for being there other than to remind people that the guy who gave us "American Graffiti" and the pod race scene from "The Phantom Menace" was involved with Indy 4. :p

Overall, I'd say "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" gets about a 7.5 out of 10, with it being an Indy film being worth about 1 point in and of itself.

I haven't seen it yet, but I'm glad to hear you guys liked it. I want so much to enjoy it when I finally see it; a buddy of mine was going off on it, but like LeHah pointed out, I think he was expectating way too much from it, for an Indy film.

I have a feeling I'll like it. The internet is poison.

You have to admit, it was wild watching a guy rip some poor dude's heart out of his chest and then throw him in a volcano...talk about messing with your mind!

I caught it with my family on Memorial Day.
I thought it fit in really well with the whole series.
I even liked the fridge sequence and think worked pretty well. In my opinion, the fridge worked because, as Lucas and Spielberg have both said in interviews, the film mimics the style of the 50's B Sci-Fi movies, like the first three mimiced 30's adventure serials. Using the fridge, and the basic fudging of nuclear physics, fits in perfectly with cheeseball science present in the old SF flicks.

I thought Shia Labeouf was pretty good, his character could use a little more development though. I mean they basically only bring up parts of his past that directly relate to the film, such as going to prep schools and learning fencing prior to a sword fight with Spalko. Labeouf seems to be turning into quite a good actor, and less of the tween heartthrob role that gave him his start.

The only two things I didn't like about the film:
1: some of the dialog was a little weak (big deal)
2: The score wasn't as strong as earlier films. Raiders and Last Crusade had great marches for the Nazis, much like Jack Sparrow has his own themes in POTC, but the Russians really didn't have that.

All in all, I think I need to catch it again before it leaves the theaters.

It's a decent Indy movie, it's no Crusade or Lost Ark though.

Death nailed it right.

and Leboef (sp?) a heartthrob? The little runt is ugly as shit. I can't see too many teenage girls falling for him.

And of the complaints online I've seen about "letting Lucas run wild with things", no one seems (though I haven't actively sought out online opinions) to mention the obvious Lucas connection

The complaint isn't even valid. Don't make idiots think otherwise.

I went to see it after Finals and I really liked it. I ended up seeing it with a bunch of jerks who didn't like it because 'the groundhogs ruined the entire movie'.

I don't understand the complaint about groundhogs. *Every* Indiana Jones movie starts off with a joke at the expense of the Paramount logo (and this time at the expense of internet critics - as they don't catch on that the pun is "making a mountain out of a molehill)

Oh, I loved the groundhogs. They cracked me up. Great movie too. I agree that I wish they had used a more "pure legend", but it was interesting none the less.

As for Shia Lebouf...well, I'm no teenage girl, but dang! Ok, I'd do him.

Back