New High Res Academy!

DyNaMiX

Spaceman
I just read the news on the high quality versions of the Academy series! Great work! You can easily see the much clearer quality in the cartoons. Will those really large versions be able to be ordered on CD/DVD-ROM? A 2 gig high quality episode sounds good, but would take some time to download. :cool:

Howdy! We're working on finding a way to distribute the new files... it doesn't look like our server will be able to accomodate the demand for the larger files immediately - but we'll hopefully distribute them through some other means (on CDs, via IRC) until we have a good way to host them on the web.

(For those interested, I've now finished episodes one through six! I'll update when I've captured everything...)

Distributing them on CD - wouldn't that take about 7 CDs if each "LOAF enhanced" episode is around 200 megs?

Have you considered making VCDs or the like? Perhaps even DVD-Rs? Considering the amount of "behind the scenes" stuff at your disposal, you could add some bonus material. :)

DivX episodes are currently between 210 and 230 megs a piece... which would take five CDs for the whole series. The episodes are about 20 minutes a piece... so converted to VCDs, it should also be five discs.

Raw episodes are 4.15 gigabytes a piece... which would take thirteen DVDs. I haven't looked into MPEG2 conversion yet, so I'm not sure how many normal DVD-Rs it'd take.

if you just released as divx 230mbs, that's the same way that anime is distributed, you might want to setup some bittorrent tracker files, one for each episode, that way as one guy downloads from your server, he serves out to everyone else....

You could also try distributing them over a P2P network like Kazaa. You'd be taking up your own PCs resources, but it's just an idea.

I'd be quite happy to go out and pay for thirteen DVDs to get those raw versions. Just imagine the quality!
If people are willing to pay the price for DVDs (and extras incase a coaster shows up) are you willing to create these?

Quality? If they're from original VHS tapes, they won't be of *that* high quality. Remember you can't get quality if the quality wasn't there in the first place. Of course, they'll be better than what's already up, though.

I think BitTorrent's the best idea still for distribution though - KaZaA and the like don't scale well for this sort of thing. All that's needed is something to seed the files once the initial rush is over. But for the initial rush, nothing beats BT.

Worf said:
Quality? If they're from original VHS tapes, they won't be of *that* high quality. Remember you can't get quality if the quality wasn't there in the first place. Of course, they'll be better than what's already up, though.

I think BitTorrent's the best idea still for distribution though - KaZaA and the like don't scale well for this sort of thing. All that's needed is something to seed the files once the initial rush is over. But for the initial rush, nothing beats BT.

We are talking in comparisson to the current available versions here. I think there would be significant improvements. Sure VHS can't compare to DVD, but these current versions I think are much less than the bigger files being talked about.

For BT you have to have a large amount of users seeding and at appropriate times. I don't think p2p is any good for this distrobution

simple, ou announce ahead that you will release bittorrent files on a certain date, say a week in advance, then when you release you should have a fairly large ammount of seeds, at least 10, btw give a time as well as a date, that'll help get more seeds during the initial rush.

If it's legal to do so, I'd gladly pay a reasonable fee to get these on CD or better yet, DVD (if anyone happens to have a burner), especially if they can be made to play in regular DVD players. I already watched the versions already available, and I like it enough that I'd definitely go for these high-res versions. Definitely a quality series...loved all of it.

DyNaMiX said:
We are talking in comparisson to the current available versions here. I think there would be significant improvements. Sure VHS can't compare to DVD, but these current versions I think are much less than the bigger files being talked about.

That's what I get for editing my post ... I or rather, failing to hit the "Quote" button. I did mean to say they were better than the existing version of the episodes, but was referring to (in my post) about the "enhanced quality" of having the raw DV versions of the episodes.

Of course, it's also an excellent reason to go to far better DivX5 encoders than the crappy DivX3 encoders as well (the latter I've had transcoding issues with A/V sync...). That I'm happy for.

Yeah, I would be willing to pay money (for postage/cd's/dvd's) to get these. Not really feasible to download on 56k.

It does take time to burn CDs or DVDs, get them boxed up and mailed out. Like Chris said in the other thread, we're currently looking into ways of distributing them online at no cost (to you). IRC and Getright allow you to stop and resume downloads. While some CDs might be mailed out, that won't be the primary method of distribution.

(I should point out that the uncompressed files will not be available for download for another decade at least)

Have to thank the guys that took the time and energy to make the cartoons avalible for download!

Even though I must suffer through dial-up, I've eventually downloaded 8 episodes. Ever so nice to drink coffee and watch a great cartoon of my favorite theme.

BUT THEN...Panic! Permission Denied. Is this because heavy traffic or are they no longer up for offer?

I've heard a little about BitTorrent. How new is it, and can anyone briefly explain how it works?

bittorrent works across platforms, it was designed for linux distros, when a new distro was released people would jam the servers trying to access the isos, to deal with this bittorrent was invented, one person hosts the initial file called a tracker, as people run the .torrent file to download the movie/iso/whatever they begin to share out the data they're currently downloading as they download it, so in effect everyone downloading becomes a server generating more bandwidth for everyone to use. .torrent files can be run even after a file has been downloaded keeping the bittorrent system alive indefinately.

Back