New Gamefaqs Poll feat. WC

ChanceKell

Rear Admiral
No doubt due to the news the other day about EA looking to revive old franchises, GameFaqs.com has a new poll of the day on their frontpage, "Which classic EA-owned property would you most like to see new games from?" - and Wing Commander is a choice!

The saddest thing, though, at 10:30am EDT, "I haven't heard of any of these" leads with 34% -- and that's against 7 classic series!

Since GameFaqs.com is sponsored by a major gaming site, we'd ought to show our support for OUR favorite property, no?

Very sad indeed.

I can't say I recall Road Rash, the current lead as at 14:30 UTC (besides the "haven't heard of" option). But I've cast my vote for WC.

the only real great choices are:
Wing commander
System Shock
Ultima

well. over 30% of voters dont know any of these games... It's a symptom of a dumbed down society that even penetrates gamers. They sure know crap like "the sims".
What a shame WC is even behind Theme Park...

Well, that was short lived.
New poll now: Have your parents ever taken away games as punishment?

I wouldn't worry too much about the 'never heard of any of these' category taking the win, this site clearly caters for a FAR younger audience...

Argh no! We are all a dying breed! Really sad that so many have not heard of a classic such as Wing Commander. I wouldn't go so far as to say it "defined" my childhood, but its definitely one of my fonder childhood memories. Wonder if there will be such dedicated fan sites like this one for a game like Halo in 15 years (if they halt the franchise in the next few years).

well. over 30% of voters dont know any of these games... It's a symptom of a dumbed down society that even penetrates gamers. They sure know crap like "the sims".

It's just a simple demographic shift. The average gamefaqs visitor was five years old when the last major WC game was released.

Argh no! We are all a dying breed! Really sad that so many have not heard of a classic such as Wing Commander. I wouldn't go so far as to say it "defined" my childhood, but its definitely one of my fonder childhood memories. Wonder if there will be such dedicated fan sites like this one for a game like Halo in 15 years (if they halt the franchise in the next few years).

I think Halo makes FAR too much money to ever be halted. I've been wrong before though...

It's just a simple demographic shift. The average gamefaqs visitor was five years old when the last major WC game was released.

As I told LOAF and some others on IRC tonight, I believe the generation that will use GameFAQs will always be younger, not because they 'grew up with it' or it 'didn't exist' sooner, but because the older generations appreciate accomplishing hard work, where the younger generation would rather see someone else do the hard work so they can earn the achievements.

I am extremely disappointed that so few people have heard of Wing Commander, especially given that it had a major motion picture, and not only did it have a major motion picture but EVERYTIME a video-game based movie is made, they drag the Wing Commander movie through the mud as a prime example of how bad video game movies can be.

(Which is really just ignorance - why aren't they this hard on the Doom movie? At least the Wing Commander movie had a plot.)

Over here when they broadcast the movie, they do not relate it to the game series, some TV-guides do, but the network does not.

The movie holds well on it's own. The worst game>movie adaption would be "Super Mario Bros", with "Double dragon" coming in a close second.

If you go the dvd-store here, you'll find the movie in the same slots as "enemy mine", "krull", "space truckers", and the original battlestar galactica, and all of these are cult classics.

heh

4 out of 7 are Origin Games.

I would like to see sequels to those 4 games myself. I'm a big Ultima fan, with Wing commander and System shock being among my favourite games of all time.

Crusader I'm not that much of a fan, but I think it would make a good shooter, unless they want to revive the game using the same perspective that both crusaders had.

I like Crusader, but I don't think it has anything going for it today that would make a relaunch worth pursuing -- no one is a huge fan of the Crusader universe, are they? The IP boils down to 1) the distinct isometric view and 2) blowing stuff up and killing people. The former seems like it'd be awful hard to sell... and without it you're describing every FPS in the world. (Maybe you could do a Crusader XBLA/PSN game -- but even then branding it as Gears of War or Army of Two or something just makes better financial sense.)

(Wing Commander and Ultima have a lot of prestige associated with them; they're second or even tied with the iD shooters for overall impact on the modern gaming industry... and their names alone still have a lot of cachet.

The problem with Wing Commander is that a proper relaunch is going to cost a LOT of money. EA is interested in spending that money, but they want some guarantee that there's an interest in the IP -- Arena was one attempt to generate that and we may see some similarly small project in the future.

The problem with Ultima is that the IP is inexorably linked to its figurehead, who is a crazy person. :) It's sort of an odd rock and a hard place situation - no one wants to see an Ultima X that *isn't* from Richard Garriott... and no one wants to play whatever Richard Garriott thinks is a good idea for Ultima X. :)

I like Crusader, but I don't think it has anything going for it today that would make a relaunch worth pursuing -- no one is a huge fan of the Crusader universe, are they?
Ummm... well, actually... :)

Seriously, I agree with your points, Crusader as an IP doesn't exist. It's in an even worse situation that WC - for several years after its release, until Dosbox became popular, it was just too much of a pain to get it running.

...But, what Crusader had (and I am fully aware that this is not in the least bit noteworthy to the general public, and for that reason, neither to the people making these decisions), is a really, really deep storyline. It was fantastic in that regard, just like every other Origin game of the time. This wasn't, strcitly speaking, something built into the game. In the mid-1990s, Origin could have made Space Invaders, and their writing department would throw in a manual that would make everyone think this Space Invaders had more depth than every other game in the universe (other Origin titles excepted). That's how it was with Crusader - it was a game about blowing stuff up, advertised as having nine different ways to kill people, but the people who wrote the manual turned it into a really great piece of (political) science fiction.

Back