New fighter concept

Maj.Striker said:
I'm not dissing the ship, Lynx, you did a fine job but come on this project is supposed to be a "Wing Commander Universe" NOT A "Wing Commander Fan's homebrewed creations Universe"! [/b]

What? I just created that model for fun, it was the result of some idea-inspiring thread which happened ages ago, and I don't claim that it's canon, hence the warning in the post above. But some people wanted to take a look at the model, so I 've decided to release the model at some point, but forgot until someone posted in that thread again. And my arm is currently not long enough to touch those who use said model, so tell the Universe staff, not me.

I agree, my complaint was not with Lynx or his model (nice work BTW) but the fact that the WCU project feels that they don't have enough ships using canon fighters from the games (which would probably be up to around 30+ confed fighters...70+ if you include Kilrathi) that they think they need to add fan creations...that's moronic.

well, Got to agree with you there.
still...
there are afew grey areas - such as hospitle ships, civilain ships, a "non-fighter" Battleship... things you actually would expect the WCU to have, and yet, are missing. (like the ships mentioned in various books, and not having a picture or discription).

I think that in these areas you can take some limited liberties.
simply because they are missing...

Actually, there's a passenger liner in Secret Ops, a science ship in Wing Commander Prophecy, a hospital ship on Wing Commander Academy and battleships in the Wing Commander movie and on the cover to Action Stations.

To the best of my knowledge, no one has modelled any of these ships for use in a fan made game yet.

It's just the WCIII/IV style transport with Red Cross markings -- the intro calls it a "medical transport", so it's probably different from the space equivalent of the modern navy's 'floating hospitals' like the Pleiku.

Hospital ship was one of the many roles Draymen served in in the original Wing Commander, though (and they also served as medical transports...).

Edit: still, the message is clear. The Wing Commander universe is full of interesting, game expanding ships that should be added to such a project.

Although I appreciate your work Spirit, I must agree with Striker.

As far as I know, there is no "Cutlass" ship in the Wing Commander Universe. You are putting in ships that absolutely have no place in the universe, eventhough it may look WC-ish.

People playing WCU expect to see that it stays true to the universe.

Adding turrets to Draymans is fine imo, since Claw Marks says they have turrets.

However nowhere is there any mention of a Cutlass.

Oh and putting everything in and then deciding to put stuff out isn't the best way to work with this project. It becomes a mess. You should try to minimize additions and focus on what is already in and fix the problems with that. When everything is running properly, then you can decide to put additions in.

You do have a point -- I'm just saying it's a cool looking ship. If you want to rename it, why not! There's plenty of pre-wc1 ships which would be nice to have in, afterall.

Bandit LOAF said:
It's just the WCIII/IV style transport with Red Cross markings -- the intro calls it a "medical transport", so it's probably different from the space equivalent of the modern navy's 'floating hospitals' like the Pleiku.

Hospital ship was one of the many roles Draymen served in in the original Wing Commander, though (and they also served as medical transports...).

Edit: still, the message is clear. The Wing Commander universe is full of interesting, game expanding ships that should be added to such a project.

I see your point

Back