New Computer, Old Tradition

Sylvester

Vice Admiral
So I just built a new Windows 7 PC from scratch. It has a i5 quad core processor, 16 GB of RAM, a nVidia 550 card and 300 GB of hard drive space. Do you know what the first thing I did with this computer after I finished basic program installations was?

That's right, I played Wing Commander 1.

One of the first things I do with a new machine is usually install all the WC games and make sure they're running correctly.

300 GB? That's pretty small--you can get 1-2 TB for well under a hundred bucks at present.

Not if it's an SSD... but he didn't say. And even if it was, that would be my primary drive with a 2Tb on top of that for basic storage.

300 GB? That's pretty small--you can get 1-2 TB for well under a hundred bucks at present.
Maybe he put in an SSD? 250GB is more then enough to house all your programs, and for storage you can use external networked drives..

Unless you do video or audio recording/montage their is no need for TB's in your system... Especially with the Harddrive-crisis at the moment...

I wasn't aware of the "Hard drive crisis". Could you fill me in?

As for storage space, my father has seven TB's across four drives and is 300 GB from exceeding it, but then again he downloads a lot of videos.

I wasn't aware of the "Hard drive crisis". Could you fill me in?
There was a bunch of flooding in [Asian country I can't think of the name at the momnet] where they make harddrives so prices went up quite a bit since there was a shortage.

Not taiwan. Thailand.

If Taiwan floods, we'd be facing chip shortages (Taiwan is home to a number of foundries that fabless companies like nVidia, AMD, Broadcom, LSI, etc. use).

A lot of hard drives are made in Thailand though, and have been. About 30% of output was cut and worldwide inventory dropped 90% as people started hoarding them.

Hard drives! The 80GB I have in Karga has proven more than more than enough for every Wing Commander game... although part of me wants to add more drives. They sell refurbished 160 gig IDE drives at the Microcenter up the street for $25... and I'm constantly having to stop myself from buying several of them.

Game challenge:

Play without speed limiters.....
Just wait! HCl is looking at how to do exactly this for Wing Commander I and II!

Back