New Airplane

Not to my knowledge. I'm just a hired hand, working for Airbus on and off. Also for Dornier, Honeywell, EADS. But a hope a little banter doesn't put us on different sides of the front line - or I'd really regret if it would.
Boeing has a good line of products, but somehow they don't like to hire me. Well, maybe they know better.

Lots of love for the ole' trusty 737s here. Flown a good deal of miles on those puppies. -200's, -300's, -700's, -800's... I do like A-320's too, though, awesome airplanes, very confortable.

I wish I'd fbeen a passenger in a 777, though. Stupid company changed the flight from the 777 to an old DC-10.

I always had fond feelings for Boeing planes. When I was young an aunt of mine in Rio (who was very rich) would always send flight tickets for me and my brother to visit her, so I flew all kinds of -100 and -200 series, mostly 727s, 737s and 767s. And a DC-10 here and there...

But lately I´ve been flying 737-700s and Airbus-A320s a lot and those Airbuses are really more comfortable, IMHO.

Perhaps that is because the company that flies Airbuses in Brazil is better than the other two which fly Boeings. I guess one can only really compare plane comfort when flying two different planes in the same airline.

Starkey said:
But lately I´ve been flying 737-700s and Airbus-A320s a lot and those Airbuses are really more comfortable, IMHO.

Perhaps that is because the company that flies Airbuses in Brazil is better than the other two which fly Boeings. I guess one can only really compare plane comfort when flying two different planes in the same airline.

Yeah, no two airlines get the same 737. Every one customizes the interiors heavily. The width between seats, cushioning on the seats, room in the lavatory and so on are customer options, and airlines will tweak their choices over time as new things become available.

Poor Varig... I don´t see how she can escape bankruptcy. The offer made yesterday to buy her was really bad. I´ve avoided flying it for the past 4 months, you never know when will the judge pull the plug on it. IMHO, it is a matter of time.

And her planes look really bad lately. Scratched paintings, worn out seats, a pity. Guess we are stuck now with TAM (which I like) and Gol and its peanuts ´n´ Pepsi and NO mileage program :(

Last time I flew it, it was on a 757, I picked one of the front seats and when I got into the plane, I found out they put me in executive class for free :), even though the service was the same of the economic class.

Gol is the most profitable airline in Brazil today. Their fares are almost unbeatable. Like I said, it has some disadvantages. Their food service is very cheap and they have no mileage program. They don´t even sell tickets on travel agencies - only via the internet. They fly 737s only, which is another way they have to reduce costs.

TAM, OTOH, has decent prices, fly Airbuses (A-319, 320 and 330) and their service is very good.

Varig is currently a mess. If the judge does not axe it down tomorrow, I bet it won´t live to see the end of July. They fly 737s, 767s, 757s, 777s, MD-11s and some little Embraer planes, with all sorts of configurations. It canceled 14 flights yesterday.

Gol is betting that Varig´s days are numbered, that´s why they have ordered so many planes. Their bet is safe, as Varig owes about US$ 3 billion. A sad thing, Varig is almost 80 years old.

We start the second 737-900ER in my area tomorrow.. so here's some pictures of the first one.

This is the rollout last month. I'm in the crowd there somewhere:
boeingplant07.jpg

And this is the first flight two weeks ago. My house is across the street from the power lines in the top right.
boeingplant08.jpg

And here's the 737-800 in MS Flight Sim X.
931252_20060811_screen004.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very good that it's finally out, and a beauty too. Congratulations.

The big ones are still not an assembly-line thing, so each time a new one is ready that feeling of celebration is in the air. I just love it. I wish I'd been on the ELF's (early long flights - part of the testing) for another aforementioned product, which happened earlier this month.

And to round it off, an anecdote:
My customer has just rolled out a "higher gross weight" model for Qatar, with a little 1st class lounge in it, with sofas, a bar and fiber optic lights - darn seventies. But the thing I stumbled over was Qatar's CEO's name: Akbar Al Baker.
Here we go again..

The 737 just received its 7000th order! It was for another -900ER.

The people on the program stood outside for a picture yesterday. The body section at the top is for a -800 model. Soon it will become about the 5400th 737, so it'll be several years yet before the 7000th plane actually gets delivered. Today they announced another 27 orders for Westjet and AeroSvit-Ukranian Airlines.

I'm at the top of the comma.

7000th737-2.jpg

The people on the program stood outside for a picture yesterday. The body section at the top is for a -800 model. Soon it will become about the 5400th 737, so it'll be several years yet before the 7000th plane actually gets delivered. Today they announced another 27 orders for Westjet and AeroSvit-Ukranian Airlines.

I'm at the top of the comma.

7000th737-2.jpg

That's so cool!

We've come a long way since 2007! The program got its 8000th order a while back and could hit 8500 this year. Total deliveries are up past 6400, and the first P-8A is in the Navy's hands now.

Lots of excitement these last few days. Boeing announced a big rate increase this week and signed a 40 year agreement with the airport next to the factory.

http://boeing.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1211

http://www.pnwlocalnews.com/south_king/ren/news/94335574.html

Here's a picture of the P-8 next to the P-3 it will replace.

p8-5.jpg
p8-4.jpg

Back