New 3D Thread

Excellent, excellent model.

If you don't mind my asking, what technique do you use for the engine flares?

Is the Varni quote meant to explain why a brand new fighter in SM2 is never encountered again?

Excellent, excellent model.

If you don't mind my asking, what technique do you use for the engine flares?

Is the Varni quote meant to explain why a brand new fighter in SM2 is never encountered again?

Thanks! Yeah, we all know the REAL reasons the Hhriss never reappeared, WC2 needed to show off new models and graphics capabilities (more colors, etc) and the REAL reason we never saw the Varni, so I saw a storytelling opportunity to kill lizards with one rock. :)

The exhausts are just sprites with a couple of lights. Allows me to paint the effect how I want it without messing around too much.

How do you make these??? They look all fantastic!

I so hope that someone :cool: will redo all those Privateer and Armada ships for Star Citizen.

Sitting in a Galaxy and having friends or even NPC man the turrets has been my wet dream since I bought one for the first time. Oh, and flying a Drayman. Or the Orion - this would have been the uber ship if there would be someone using the rear turret during fights. It had energy surplus like nothing else and you could see it just by looking at it (and it came finally true in Righteous Fire).

YF-44A.jpg
test.JPG

Wow, this is a great interpretation of WC1's Rapier II.

I think the red colors would be fitting for the border worlds militia.

At a couple of those angles, she almost looks like a Scimitar and and a Raptor had a baby. Fits in perfect with the design lineage.

I'm picturing the red scheme being a backwater setup once the F-44G started taking over on the frontlines - something similar to how the Concordia Broadswords in Enigma were green, whilst the Gemini Sector Broadswords were grey with blue trim.

That, or she was flying off another carrier. I know ships have the same paintschemes in the games regardless of where they came from, but I've always liked the idea that one could find multiple paint jobs on the same types - thinking along the lines of what Howard Day did with his Broadsword (classic Concordia, then hypothetical Tiger's Claw and Kyoto schemes).

The Venice 2 strike mission with Kyoto fighters would look pretty interesting if a pair of the Rapiers were wearing a different scheme.

Great work, Klavs.

That, or she was flying off another carrier. I know ships have the same paintschemes in the games regardless of where they came from, but I've always liked the idea that one could find multiple paint jobs on the same types - thinking along the lines of what Howard Day did with his Broadsword (classic Concordia, then hypothetical Tiger's Claw and Kyoto schemes).

Wing Commander 4 did a pretty good job of trying to introduce different paint schemes, although many people didn't realize there were multiple color combinations for some ships. https://www.wcnews.com/news/2008/10/29/making-the-games-wing-commander-iv-fighters We often associate this rusty red with the Union of Border Worlds Navy, but recall that the UBW as a political entity with its own capships really only came into existence during WC4. Some of their gear could have been Confed hardware in UBW areas that was appropriated when the conflict began - they didn't instantly build and paint a brand new fleet of ships. What we see as the UBW Navy were local Confed militia units a few weeks prior.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could be that the red schema was specifically for TCS Delphi, and it simply carried over when the ship became BWS Intrepid. Do we see any UBW units from other carriers in WC4? It's been too long...

Thanks guys, I'm glad you like her! The red scheme was meant to be reminicent of the Morningstar's test scheme, and partially inspired by the F-18 prototype paint scheme.

I had intended to come up with a much more satsfying livery for the test article, such as a snazzy "Rapier" logo or something similar, but I just ran out of steam.
F-18-6.jpg

Could be that the red schema was specifically for TCS Delphi, and it simply carried over when the ship became BWS Intrepid. Do we see any UBW units from other carriers in WC4? It's been too long...

We actually see one of the Intrepid's sister ships - the BWS Tango - and they cleaned up the model in-game so it doesn't carry the damage that the more familiar ship does!

https://www.wcnews.com/ships/images/4views/wc4durango1.png
https://www.wcnews.com/ships/images/4views/wc4durango2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I had intended to come up with a much more satisfying livery for the test article, such as a snazzy "Rapier" logo or something similar, but I just ran out of steam.

Would either of these work for you?

The first one is more the "official" logo - on company documents, maybe on a Rapier's fin, that sort of thing.

The second is more of a patch/badge for the development team kind of idea.

Rapier Logo 1.png

Rapier Logo 2.png

Klavs! Once again what a great model !! I would love to see a shot of both YF-44 and F-44 rapiers :)

Hi guys, I've been playing with P3d, with the intention of putting all the WC ships online in a 3d gallery. Check 'em out!

I got most of the WC1 fighters and some WC2 ships online before I ran out of free space.

This way you don't have to wait for me to post screenshots anymore :)

Check it out!

Hangar B Wing Commander 3d Gallery

Last edited:
Back