Never enough Scimitars!

Originally posted by Eder

this leads me to think that it's kind of natural for people to prefer Rapiers, and to think they are "safer" even though they have basically no armor...

--Eder [/B]

Of course, the Scim has lighter shields and no armor, so the Rapier still has it in that regard. As to the Laser/Neutron combo, absolutely, a Mass Driver/Neutron armament would have been better, but using full guns negates most of the Neutron refire problem, and besides, does it really matter what you use to empty your capacitators if the enemy is dead either way when you're done?

Originally posted by mpanty
Disagree! Remember that mission when you fly against the captured Gwenhyvar?...

Uhm.... No. Is that from SO1/2? I never had a chance to play those, my WC1 is that version which comes in a CD, together with Ultima VI... without the SOs...

But hey, I agree that the Rapiers' neutron guns are useful against fighters... it's just that their refire rates are too lousy for them to be useful against capital ships, IMHO... by the time you empty your capacitors and take another pass, the thing's shields are all up again. :(
(at least it happened to me, maybe I just take too long to turn around for the second pass :p)

--Eder

it's just that their refire rates are too lousy for them to be useful against capital ships, IMHO... by the time you empty your capacitors and take another pass, the thing's shields are all up again.

--Eder [/B]

Second pass???? I just parked behind them and shot until they exploded. :) BOOM = PRETTY :)

Uhm.... No. Is that from SO1/2? I never had a chance to play those, my WC1 is that version which comes in a CD, together with Ultima VI... without the SOs...
SO1/2 are add-ons for WC2 Eder... Add-ons for WC1 are SM1/2 (Secret Missions)...

But yes, the Gwenhyvar mission was from SM1, system Jotunheim, dateline 2654.162 (from my mission book! ;) ).

Believe me Eder, you missed quite some challenge! IMO, it's the hardest mission of the WC1 engine!

But hey, I agree that the Rapiers' neutron guns are useful against fighters... it's just that their refire rates are too lousy (...)
Well, they might take a little longer (then again, didn't notice it in particular), but the firepower you gain is much better! Trust me, you blow up a capship faster in Rapier than a Scimitar!

SOs, SMs, what's the difference? All those letters confuse me :p
All I know is that I'd like to get my hands on the WC1 add-ons!

--Eder

Don't worry about it. Almost everyone makes that mistake at least once. ;)

If you have The Kilrathi Saga and you're looking for the Secret Missions (for Wing Commander I), you can download them here. If you don't have it, then you're out of luck...unless you can find someone who's willing to part with their copy. I suggest checking eBay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Quarto
Originally posted by mpanty
LOL! Tell him to bring a snack-pack next time...
He did... but like the ejection seats in Confed fighters, the Kilrathi snack-pack is always the first thing to take damage.

Good one! :D

And we have to take into consideration that a snack-pack won't satisfy a hungry Kilrathi, and bringing in a whole ox as snack-pack is difficult. ;)

But the first thing that got destroyed in my case were always the "Acceleration Absorbers" and then the ejection seat.

I never cared when the Accel absorbers were destroyed...
After all, I was confortably sitting in the chair in front of my computer... ;)

I don't think so. I always thought of them as some kind of warning to the player: Ok, your armour has been breached, this time only an unimportant system failed, next one will be vital. Be careful! :)

Well most probably it does not affect the game at all (beyond the fact that your armor has been penetrated), but on a "reality" point of view, the pilot in the fighter will certainly feel every afterburner push... :)

Maybe they should have included blackouts and redouts in WC, so the accel absorbers would actually make a difference. Then again, maybe not :D

Oh, and thanks for the ebay link, Wildweasel... but actually I got a friend who owns a copy of KS, and all that prevents me from borrowing it from her is my.... uhmm.... lazyness ;)

--Eder

Glad to help!

No problem. :)

If I were you, I'd get off my butt and borrow that copy of The Kilrathi Saga right away. Believe me...it's worth it!

Originally posted by WildWeasel
If I were you, I'd get off my butt and borrow that copy of The Kilrathi Saga right away.
And then you could "accidentally" lose it when in fact... ;)

Nah, that would be being very mean to your friend! :D

Wow guys... ehm... Eder's friend actually owns KS... it's Eder who suggesting borrowing it from him... :)

Back