Need privateer help

Highball

Spaceman
I recently unearthed my Privateer set while going through some stuff for a rummage sale. We played a little bit of it back in the day between Wing Commander 2 and 3, so I figured I'd play through it again for the fun of it. Although, even though I have the manual and have read through it and all, I can't remember a blasted thing as far as what the hell I'm doing. I remember how to upgrade my ship and stuff, but after I accept a mission, I can't seem to complete it. I have no idea how to complete any random mission I can pick from the mission computer or in the Merchant's Guild.

Walkthroughs I've found online don't help, either. I know this is a rookie question, but bear in mind that it's been over 10 years since I've played this game, and I'd say at least 97% of the knowledge of it I had back when I was a teenager is gone.

I don't start with a jump drive, so I can't jump anywhere. I don't know what planets are in the Troy system off the top of my head, so I have no idea what missions I can accept and actually fulfill, and the Nav points I bring up are just random points that don't really seem to take me anywhere.

Can anyone help me out just a little here?

The bases in Troy are Helen, Hector and Achilles. Hit N in space to open your nav map. You don't need to worry about jumping yet. When you accept a mission in the computer, it'll tell you "go to Nav 5 in the Troy System" or "Defend planet Helen in the Troy System" or something to that effect. Accept a mission like that, go into space, highlight it on the map and flight there. Then kill stuff that shoots at you.

Don't accept missions that refer to other systems yet. Don't accept missions that pay a bounty to chase a particular person across a bunch of space yet. Don't accept any cargo delivery missions yet. I would avoid patrols that require you to hit multiple navs at this point.

Does that clear things up?

Back