Need Info! LOAF, help me!

Zim

Spaceman
Where can I get the complete history of the Battle of Repleetah? Which as much info as pissoble?

TIA,

Zim

http://www.wc-aces.com/timeline_03.shtml

2654.287 - 2654.301

THE BATTLE OF REPLEETAH UNFOLDS
Following failed attempts by Terran scientists to garner peaceful co-existance with the Kilrathi scientific detachment on the small research planet of Repleetah, the Kilrathi devastate the planet in a surprise attack with biological weapons.

The Terran Confederation reinforces the planet with Marines. Fought mostly on planet-side, though a single bombardment from space could end the battle, the Battle of Repleetah becomes the most sustained land-based fighting of the entire war.

In trench warfare reminiscent of Earth's ancient World War I, each side fights with dogged determination and in full bio-resistant suits. The bloodshed continues unabated for years.

http://www-hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu/~drake/histscr.html#2654.287

Before the declaration of the Terran-Kilrathi War, the lonely planet of Repleetah was a long-time home to scientists and researchers from all corners of the galaxy. When news of the war finally reaches this backwater planet, the Terran scientists decide to visit the Kilrathi facility to negotiate a truce, in the hopes of continuing their mutual pursuit of knowledge in peace and cooperation. But instead, the humans are killed in a surprise biological attack, prompting the arrival of Marines from both sides, and heralding the start of the Battle Of Repleetah.

What followed was something humanity had not witnessed in more than seven hundred years. Armed with full bio-resistant suits, the Terran and Kilrathi forces engaged in what would become the longest ground battle of the entire war, buying little leverage at the cost of hundreds of lives, in trench warfare reminiscent of World War I. But soon Repleetah lost what little strategic value it once had, and came to represent what each side could gain with a minimal amount of commitment. Unwilling to send more than ground troops, even though a thorough air strike would have settled matters completely, both sides continued fighting, and dying. And the Battle Of Repleetah dragged on.

http://personal.inet.fi/cool/sipi/rr5/historia.htm

Terran Intelligence reports that the Kilrathi High command is directing war efforts from Venice System. Reconnaissance patrols identify Kilrathi ships and follow patrols, uncovering the Imperial starbase weeks later. The Kilrathi launch a significant resistance that is eventually overpowered by missles fired from swarming fighters. Badly beaten, the Kilrathi are forced to retreat their central command to Kilrah.

Simultaneously, on the far side of the galaxy, the celebrated Battle of Repleetah unfolds. The small research planet of Repleetah has long been home to dedicated researchers from various corners of the universe. Once the declaration of war against the Kilrathi makes its way to this distant outpost, Terran scientists vote to pay a visit to a Kilrathi research facility. The goal of the Terran scientists is to reaffirm their dedication to the unfettered pursuit of knowledge and to offer a peaceful co-exsistence with their fellow scientists. Instead, the Terrans are exterminated in a surprise biological attack by the Kilrathi. Marines from both sides of the Terran-Kilrathi conflict rush to Repleetah and engage in the most sustained land-based fighting of the entire war. In trench warfare reminiscent of Earth's ancient World War I, each side fights with dogged determination and in full bio-resistant suits. Meager gains are bought with hundreds of lives, only to be lost to the next counter-attack.

Since Repleetah quickly loses any strategic significance it might have had, it comes to represent what each side can win with as little investment as possible. Neither side is willing to commit anything more than ground troops, even though a single, thorough space strike could end the battle victoriously. The bloodshed continues unabated.

That's as much as I have been able to gather... :cool:

[Edited by mpanty on 06-28-2001 at 17:15]

I don't think Repleetah is mentioned though, Kris... since that would be in the "Part II: The War" topic, which is unavailable... :(

is there any chance that the timeline is going to get finished anytime soon?*

*soon as in 1 year or less

Originally posted by mpanty
I don't think Repleetah is mentioned though, Kris... since that would be in the "Part II: The War" topic, which is unavailable... :(
I know that, but someone asked if the CIC had a Timeline. Which it does.

"But soon Repleetah lost what little strategic value it once had, and came to represent what each side could gain with a minimal amount of commitment. Unwilling to send more than ground troops, even though a thorough air strike would have settled matters completely, both sides continued fighting, and dying. And the Battle Of Repleetah dragged on."

This is the bit I could never understand when reading about the Battle of Repleetah. Ground warfare, especially drawn out ground warfare, is about the biggest comitment a nation could make, not just in terms of men and materials but also in terms of the damage to morale from sustained casualties. I guess the commanders on both sides were so focused on the short term that they never thought about what the drawn out haemorraging would cost.

Best, Raptor

There were actually two battles on Repleetah...

The first lasted from 2646.080 to 2651.290 -- during this time, Confed defended the planet from a major Kilrathi amphibious assault... 2.7 million human troops, 1.2 million human civilians and 7 million Kilrathi were killed during the fighting. This is the fighting we see in Grunt's flashback during "Lords of the Sky".

I think mpanty quoted everything important regarding the second Repleetah... save, perhaps, Dekker's involvement (from the WCP Guide).

Two battles? I had the impression that Repleetah was just one big warzone. Or you mean two main battles.

And anyone insisting that the stuff should be completed 'soon' could at least offer their services. :)

Its just like the Kilrathi war as a whole. It dragged on for 35 years with constant fighting here and there but there werent always massive conflicts going on involving large amounts of ships resulting in a great number of deaths. Much of the war was just conflict between fighters on patrol that come across one another. It could be weeks before those contacts resulted in a strike against a carrier.

My services are always available to help.

There were fairly constant conflicts between capships as well as fighters... Fleet carrier battles were obviously less frequent as there weren't that many of them through most of the war. To account for trillions of deaths you have to have fairly constant fighting... think of how many people that is.

TC

Well it is a huge front. You also have to consider that Marine losses would have been a lot heavier than Space Force losses, civilian casulties on planets. There were definitly constant capship engagments like destroyers and cruisers combating each other but there werent often massive fleet engagements that resulted in massive casulties. They sometimes went a few years in between those kinds of things. It wasnt often that a battle took place with objectives to achieve like capturing planets or destroying starbases. Just like on Repleetah. There was constant fighting and death but on only two occasions did anything massive and major occur with any over reaching goals in mind.

Err, what I mean is that there were two seperate long stretches of fighting on Repleetah... seperated by a period of not fighting on Repleetah...

Back