need help with comm editing for wcso

Triple-B

Rear Admiral
hi,

maybe the makers of standoff/UE can help me here. I FEEL THAT I AM CLOSE TO THE GOAL, Please,please help me :(

I am using the MISB to create missions (please continue reading.), in it is an option,where you can add pilots. if you do so, the MISB asks you for a name and a pilot number

NOW

what I did was copying some files of UE in my secret ops folder, in hope that the misb would find these files.

i copied:

folder pilots and callsign.eng to the main folder language

folder pilots, comms and if comms to secret ops

all these files where taken directly from the ue data.tre, which I unzipped to "folder form"

I did this, because I wanted to access a kilrahti pilot, I knew that all needed files are in the copied ue data tre.

quick I realized, that the kilrathicomm is "kcap"

I opened again the MISB and added a pilot

pilot name "kcap", pilot number (?), I chose "2", because amazon is "1" and there is no pilot "2" in secret ops. the MISB does not display "kcap" as pilot "2". "kcap" is listed as the last pilot without a number

I created a mission and tested it, the game crashed of course with the following error:

" requested transmission time for unknown comm 580000"

NOTE: times.iff is inside the folder ifcomms, so it is not missing.

what is the mistake? is "kcap" ( the catpilot) pilot number 58? if I check killerwaves tutorial, pilot 58 is "zombie" :confused:

thanks in advance

I found out that "kcap" stands for kilrahthi capship, probably for the kamrani corvette.

I checked the callsign.eng again and saw,that vaqi the kilrathi pilot is pilot number 82.

I checked back with the ue speech.tre and copied the 0082****.XA files into my ifcomm folder.

I added vaqi in the MISB

wcso runs, but when "vaqi" tries to taunt, the game freezes.

I guess something is still missing..

I can not find a "vaqi.iff", maybe this is missing? where can I find it in UE?

Sorry about the delay...

In order to get voices working, you need to look at a number of different places:

ifcomms\times.iff - contains a list of all the voiceovers and their duration.
ifcomms\*.xa - you need to copy all the relevant .xa files, naturally.
pilots\pilots.iff - this file contains a list of all the pilot data. For each pilot, it lists his AI stats, his kills, what squadron he belongs to, etc., as well as his number, the name of his comms file and the name of his language file.
comms\*.iff - the comms folder contains iff files for each pilot. These files contain a list of all the comms for that pilot, along with the information about what video is to be used for each, what type of comm is it (i.e., is the pilot taunting, calling for help, or what).
language\pilots\*.eng - the eng (and ger, if you've got the German version) files contain all the text for the comms.

In your case, in order to add the Kilrathi pilots into SO, you may need to edit pilots.iff and times.iff. For all the other files, it should be simply a question of copying them across. Note, by the way, that in UE, we generally recycled as much as possible, with as little effort as possible. So, Vaqi is probably an ordinary Kilrathi pilot with an altered callsign - meaning, there probably isn't a vaqi.iff file (though there might be - I don't remember!), more likely it's something like kace.iff or something.

Thanks for your reply Quarto :)

I did all the copying, but couldn't find a kace.iff. I only found a Kcap.iff, which is probably for a corvette. However I only got text messages with no vids from its taunts..

honestly I have given up, with adding pilots to SO

by the way: which vectors (X/Y/Z) do you use to position a capship "homogen"? My Capships are always positioned quite crooked

I did all the copying, but couldn't find a kace.iff. I only found a Kcap.iff, which is probably for a corvette. However I only got text messages with no vids from its taunts..

honestly I have given up, with adding pilots to SO
I just checked - the comm files (kace1, 2, 3, 4, kgen1, etc.) themselves were actually included in SO - that's why you couldn't find them in the UE files.

This may mean you only need to edit pilos.iff and times.iff - or you may not need to edit either of those. However, I just remembered one other thing you'll need - apart from the comm audio files, you also need to copy across the videos - akilhelm.uv2, ckilhelm.uv2 and dkilhelm.uv2.

by the way: which vectors (X/Y/Z) do you use to position a capship "homogen"? My Capships are always positioned quite crooked
Hmm. I'm not sure what you mean by this question, but I'll try to answer as best I can. If you want your capship to be positioned straight, try 0,0,0. To turn it sideways, change x (so, 180,0,0 will be rotated backwards). Y tilts the ship's nose up (so 0,180,0 will be upside down). Finally, Z rolls the ship (so, 0,0,180 will be upside down, while 0,0,90 will be on its side).

UPDATE:

it worked :) I have a kilrathipilot in wcso now :)

however, if I open kcap.eng, I see a lot of phrases that probably can be spoken by the kirlathi pilot. however my kilrathi pilot is not quite talky.

e.g. he doesn't taunt that much, always uses the same phrases etc.

as an ally, the kilrathi does not respond to " what is your status?"

I copied all 0082 files to to the ifcomms folder, since pilot 82 is actually "vaqi". there are 13 0082 files at all ( 00820000.xa-00820012.xa)

are there more kilrathi pilots inside UE??

@ vectors: 0/0/0 causes the capship to be way outside the nav point. maybe I must type 180000/180000/180000?

managed it, pilot82 is a kilrathi capship and therefore not were talky.

added more kilrathi generic pilots :)

the last step i wanted to do is adding 2 prophecy pilots. i started with maniac ( pilot 24). I added all his xa files to ifcomms folder, but the game crashes, due to an missing speech length in times.iff

I really don't knwo how to edit this file really..

I started to search for times.iff from prophecy inside the prophecy folder, but could not find one. maybe it is easier to use the existing times.iff of prophecy than editing the on of UE ?

new issue:

obviously prophecy pilots need the times.iff from prophecy. SO Pilots need the times.iff from SO.

how do you editi the times.iff? and what exactly do you write in :( ?

are there more kilrathi pilots inside UE??
I would recommend not using the UE pilots at all. Who knows what we had altered in them? :p Just use the ones straight from WCP.

@ vectors: 0/0/0 causes the capship to be way outside the nav point. maybe I must type 180000/180000/180000?
Hmm, I think you're editing the ship's position, rather than direction.

new issue:

obviously prophecy pilots need the times.iff from prophecy. SO Pilots need the times.iff from SO.

how do you editi the times.iff? and what exactly do you write in :( ?
Times.iff is just a list of all the XA files and their lengths. Copying this stuff across from WCP is simple - just open up times.iff from WCP, find the lines you're looking for, and paste them in times.iff from SO.

Sorry for the big bump. I started working on this as well and I've gotten pretty far. My issue now is I don't know how to edit times.iff. In notepad and wordpad it's all gibberish, and in Pascal, there's only a few lines.

Back