need help trying to upgrade home router

Jdawg

Commodore
hey yall I was wondering if yall had any ideas what is a good router these days, I still got an old linksys g standard, which I think tops out at 56mbps I want to go to the N standard bc my internet provider upgraded me to 400mbps download speed. I have two teenagers and at least 6 to 10 devices on the network at all time. What is a good router at a fair price im trying to stay around the 100 dollar mark if at all possible. Thanks in advanced

Both the G and N standards are ancient. You're only looking at 75-150 mbps with N, and they don't even really make them anymore. 802.11ac is the bare minimum standard you'd be looking for today, and it has differing capacities depending on the specifics - all of which are higher than your 400mbps (generally in the 900-1900 mbps range). With that said, even 802.11ac is old, and has already been superseded by 802.11ax which is theoretically in the ~10 gbps range. Each new standard does a lot more than add higher speeds. The newer standards support things like mesh networking of multiple routers, MIMO multi device support, directional signal beam forming, significantly expanded range, etc. As an aside, the 802.11anything nomenclature is obsolete. 802.11g is retroactively known as Wifi 3, N is Wifi 4, AC is Wifi 5 and AX is Wifi 6.

Long story short, just get this: https://smile.amazon.com/Google-WiFi-Router-TP-Link-Managed/dp/B013ALA9LA You don't need anything that costs more than $100.

Appreciate it actually went with the tp-ac put all the electronics in my room and my son's room on the 5 Network or hardwired in and the rest on the 2.4 tested all internet connections and everybody's getting anywhere from 150 to 250. My laptop and ps4 are hardwired in and both are up around 370 to 390.

That's great. TP Link is one of the better network gear manufacturers lately, and they make the OnHub device I linked, so you should be good shape.

you really helped a lot. here is a fun fact the first generation of ps4s did not offer 5 g network support, so my sons ps4 is on the 2.4g but all the signals are strong. I turned on all devices and was streaming netflix and or watching live tv streams on all devices and lowest signal was 20mbps at the other end of the house. Thanks a lot chris I told my wife to get the tp as part of your recommendation

Personally I use a netgear nighthawk R7000 with tomato firmware. Do you know if TP Link supports ddwrt or tomato?

here is a fun fact the first generation of ps4s did not offer 5 g network support, so my sons ps4 is on the 2.4g but all the signals are strong.

That makes sense. 5GHz can potentially deliver more bandwidth, but it's more susceptible to interference. If what you have isn't particularly bandwidth intense, 2.4Ghz could be the better way to go to deliver a stronger signal.

That makes sense. 5GHz can potentially deliver more bandwidth, but it's more susceptible to interference. If what you have isn't particularly bandwidth intense, 2.4Ghz could be the better way to go to deliver a stronger signal.
Really i figured 2.4 would be. Bluetooth, microwaves, garage door openers etc... all use 2.4. I basically split the workload

Back