Need help retreating!

F

fubar

Yeah, sounds stupid, I know... But I'm on the mission where I have to blow up a destroyer followed by a carrier (as payback for the Kilrathi destroying a Confed carrier), and though the destroyer goes alright, when I get to the carrier my forces are overwhelmed. No matter what I do, the cats inflict too many casualties, so my character orders a retreat... Problem is, I can't retreat. No waypoint to head for, autopilot light won't go on, and I can't destroy all the fighters because there seem to be endless waves of them. How do I get out of this? Or is it supposed to kill me?

You need to hit "N" to bring up the Firekka nav point and retreat a certain distance (around 30-50k from the carrier) in that direction before the auto light will come on.

You are on one of the toughest missions in Standoff, so don't feel bad. It's typically a matter of luck in order to finish this mission successfully.

Logically if I'm in a bomber and I'm alive and have enough torps to handle all remaining points... shouldn't the mission still be possible? Whenever I called off the strike it felt like I was being railroaded by the kats themselves.

The mission is possible - you don't order a retreat until everyone is out of torpedoes. And I very much disagree with Dundradal - luck has nothing to do with it. If you fly a Gladius, save your torpedoes for the Snakeir, let someone else take out the Ralatha. If you fly the Rapier - do your job, protect the bombers, don't just fly around randomly killing stuff.

(incidentally, the waves aren't endless - it is possible to exhaust the Snakeir's fighter compliment, it's just really hard to do it... and live :p )

What? You mean I can't be the savior of the world, taking nary a scratch and single handedly destroying the Kilrathi armada!?!?!? *pfft* so much for entertainment ;)

And I very much disagree with Dundradal - luck has nothing to do with it.

Well whenever I've played the mission it seems that I need luck to avoid being killed by the fighters or having my torps shot down.

Perhaps Q you just have a better lucky streak than I? :D

The mission is possible - you don't order a retreat until everyone is out of torpedoes.

I've beaten the mission, but I think I was in a Rapier at the time. The thing being whenever I was in a Gladius and still had torpedoes, if everyone else ran out the mission was still called off... even if I was working with a full load. Just didn't seem right.

TIPS FOR RETREATING: I think this is one mission that I took the difficulty level down from nightmare in order to destroy the snakier. I didn't have much of a problem retreating on any difficulty level though. I asked for wingmen to help me out and/or attack my targets as I fled. I think I also used the map to retreat in the diretion away from the enemies and to find enemies that were targeting me so I could order my wingmen to attack them. I also use this technique on missions where I run out of afterburners and have a damaged ship.

This is by far the toughest mission in all of Wing Commander if you approach the Snakier without autopilot by just flying at a snails pace from the Ralatha. By the time your flight reaches the Snakier, they've launched just about every wave of fighter and your flight faces the waves all at once. It was a brief but intense battle.

I've beaten the mission, but I think I was in a Rapier at the time. The thing being whenever I was in a Gladius and still had torpedoes, if everyone else ran out the mission was still called off... even if I was working with a full load. Just didn't seem right.
If that happens, it's a bug. Dund, get on it. :p

Man o man....first I've got Quarto disagreeing with me (which I actually believe is his standard operating procedure with me :p)...now I've got Eder telling me to check another bug....I'll check on it when my new testing machine arrives next week...supposedly...

If that happens, it's a bug. Dund, get on it. :p

I'll second that experience. I'm almost certain the first time I played through the mission, I was in a Glaudius, and I still had torpedoes left (although not a full load) and I heard the mission called off. I was thinking "Wait, guys, I still can do something!!!"

Yeah, sounds stupid, I know... But I'm on the mission where I have to blow up a destroyer followed by a carrier (as payback for the Kilrathi destroying a Confed carrier), and though the destroyer goes alright, when I get to the carrier my forces are overwhelmed. No matter what I do, the cats inflict too many casualties, so my character orders a retreat... Problem is, I can't retreat. No waypoint to head for, autopilot light won't go on, and I can't destroy all the fighters because there seem to be endless waves of them. How do I get out of this? Or is it supposed to kill me?

Retreat? You must be joking... fire up full afterburners and slam right into the enemy bridge, BOOYA!!!:D

Back