Near Firekka 2

Shipgate

Rear Admiral
I'm on SM2 mission with Doomsday and as far as I can tell this mission is impossible. At first I'd just go to nav 1 afterburning past the wing of Grathas obviously. But even then Doomsday takes a bunch of hits and he's almost dead by the time I go to nav 2 where the Jalthis are. It's usually then that he dies. Then if somehow I can take out those 3 Jalthis I usually get destroyed by the Krants on the way home.

I just hate flying the Dralthi (besides the fact that it looks cool on the inside). And it's hard to get used to the way the guns fire way above the crosshairs. So would any of you have any good advice how I might pass this mission?

I've also noticed that there are five Krants on the way back whereas the game guide says there are three.

Well, if you're going to evade the Gratha, you might as well evade them completely. Fly "west" for a couple dozen thousand klicks and then autopilot to Nav 1. You'll bypass the Gratha and can avoid fighting the Hhriss if you don't attack them. You have fairly good odds agains the Jalthi when you're in top shape, so take your time there so you're fresh for the all-out Krant fight. You should still have Doomsday, so it's 3 on 3. Just keep smashing whatever Krant gets too close to the Drayman.

Jalthi can be used against each other and against larger targets, like cap ships or starbases. Let one line up behind you, and keep jumping to evade fire. Then, line up your desired target in front of you. A Jalthi is big enough that shots that miss you are still likely to hit it. This is how I beat the mission in which Paladin and Blair take on a starbase in Scimitars. Give it a try. However, if you want to avoid the fight, then I'd say Chris' suggestion is the way to go.

I figured out why I was seeing five Krants. It would only happen if I tried going to Nav 2 first. But I finally passed it. Still can't tell if I'm on a winning or losing path though.

There isn't much of a loosing path, only one single loosing system with 3 or 4 missions. You will know which path you are on when seeing the 2nd cutscene.

Shipgate said:
I figured out why I was seeing five Krants. It would only happen if I tried going to Nav 2 first. But I finally passed it. Still can't tell if I'm on a winning or losing path though.

If you fail this mission, you're going to lose the game. If you win this mission, you're on the winning path.

WC1 was evil... if you tried to be smart, it threw more fighters on you. Now that is great design.

Yeah, WC1 had many gruesome missions, but I remember WC2 being pretty evil when I had to beam in a communique pod with a Broadsword...and a Ralatha firing its forward weaponry at me. That's a mission that definitely calls for some alcohol and babes waiting for me!

Edfilho said:
WC1 was evil... if you tried to be smart, it threw more fighters on you. Now that is great design.

But there are still ways to get around the hard missions. Even if it was just a patrol. You could hit all your nav points, take out as few fighters as you wanted, then just afterburn home.

Or like in the minefields. Sometimes if you just afterburn through those, they don't hurt you.

I liked being strategic with the minefields too. Especially on this one mission where you have to fight to Jalthi inside the field. The moment I autopilot to the nav point I kill my speed and wait for them to come to me so as to not engage them in the minefield. Cause I haven't noticed that they're affected by the mines. They seem to be affected by asteroids...I think, so I'll engage them there cause it's more fair.

Back