Navy Field

powell99

Aviation Junkie
Anyone here play it? I saw a guy a while ago who had a ship and named it the Tigers Claw. Before I could ask if he posted here I died and accedentaly quit. Anyways was it some one here?

It's a pretty fascinating game. Watch out for it though - I DLed it back when it was in Beta and played around with it for a while and picked up a nasty virus from it that kept locking up my system. That's what happens with Korean made games based in Korea.

Still, it's pretty nice. And the idea that you have to work with other players who have larger ships then you is also nicely done.

Navy Field is a WWII combat simulator. It gives you command of a single ship (The first is, I believe a Frigate) and sends you into combat to engage enemy ships. After a victory you are awarded a certain number of points which allows you to upgrade your equipment (and your crew- you have to hire crew) to outfit your ship with.

Once you have enough you can upgrade to differant classes of ships too, and from there the game evolves into a tech tree-based path, one will lead you to eventually command of a Battleship and the other will take you to command of an Aircraft Carrier.

Both the Japanese and Americans are playable, and I believe the British? As well as one other faction may be as well, though I stress that I don't know this for sure as it has been some time since I sat down and played the game.

It's online only (to my knowledge) sort of like Allegiance, but isn't very difficult to gain working knowledge of.

The reason I mentioned it was interesting earlier is because even though you can have seven or eight ships sitting in dry dock that you "own", you can only pick one to sail into battle with. Which means if you want to sink someones battleship and you're playing as a carrier, you're going to have to find a player with a carrier and team up with him to sink the enemy ship, which lends itself to some interesting cooperative play in the game.

Matches are found by selecting a "Tile" out in the ocean (there are many, many regions to choose from, with each having a "home port" so to speak. You set the desired number of players and spots fill up pretty quick. Due to the nature of the game there are always a large number of Frigates and Destroyers and then usually just one or two larger craft.

Combat is a little tricky, you steer your ship and having a target "Zone" that all of your shots will splash down in. I believe it is possible to set it to fire automatically but I always score better when I fire manually, myself.

It's pretty interesting, but like I said, last time I tried to pick it back up again a nasty bug in the installed locked up my system.

Really damn, I didn't have that problem. For a while I thought I did but then I realized I was using my crappy laptop. I installed it on my Desktop and it works well.

Now there are a shitload more CLs than anything else. There are some BBs around as well.

Silly me. I reccomend that you try it. I would say the Royal Navy is my favorite. Japans Pretty good. And the US is awsome.

Being stuck in a destroyer, level grinding, really killed all the fun for me. Then again I haven't played in over 6 months so maybe they 'fixed' that.

The reason I didn't post the URL is because I am rather biased agianst the fact that it's installed included a virus in it, and have no desire to infect people I like (IE people from the forums) with the same problem that plagued me for months before I finally just did a harddrive wipe.

Jason_Ryock said:
The reason I didn't post the URL is because I am rather biased agianst the fact that it's installed included a virus in it, and have no desire to infect people I like (IE people from the forums) with the same problem that plagued me for months before I finally just did a harddrive wipe.

Do you know if this virus has been corrected in newer builds?

I don't think it's a problem with the builds, I think their install program is infected, they are *probably* not aware of the problem.

They didn't seem to want to listen to me. Told me if I had a problem with the game I should use their bug report form, which I did, more then once, and got several emails assuring me that they would reply as soon as they had time. And I never heard anything more then that.

wow youre up early. I installed it on my slightly better computer and it works just fine. whatever the problem was seems to be fixed

Back