Nasa sued for damaging comet.

You didn't copy the link from the other message board you saw that at right.

Don't screw with comets. Anybody remember that one in Allegiance that destroyed Earth? Hrm, never mind, that was an asteroid.

According to Portnov, even something as “minor” as comets play a role in creating humanity’s psychic environment. By wantonly destroying a comet, NASA will inevitably disrupt that environment — with the most likely result being mass anxiety.
Wow

I never knew that.

If something as small as a comet has a significant effect on people's fortunes, then there are a LOT of yet-undiscovered comets and asteroids out there meddling with our fortunes, and since we haven't discovered them yet, we haven't incorporated them into our horiscope calculations anyway.

Hehe - good one.
However in one point he is right. The NASA seems to have widely neglected any secondary effects this impact might have. I heared some news today that already worried about the contents of the 'dust' that got thrown out into space and how poisionous it is to humans.

I seriously doubt that anything harmful to humans will occure because of this. I think if there's anything wrong about smashing a probe into a comet it's that it would be like defacing a monument. You know, like those jerks who throw rocks into geysers or hot pots up at Yellowstone. But since they really didn't break the thing I suppose it's alright in my book.

Besides, it's all in the name of science!

Umm, Karl, it's dust. It will burn up in the atmosphere, if it even makes it this far (a dubious proposition in and of itself; space is big, the earth is small), not to mention the planet gets bathed in all sorts of nasty stuff without effect (hell, the DI comet isn't really even all that big to start with, and only a small portion of that was ejected by the hit).

lol. It never ceases to amaze me when people like that manage to pull of lawsuits like that. It's just ridiculous, that russian clearly wants 8.11billion rubles, I think that would make anyone feel better. Silly People!

The only thing that is silly is when courts rule in these people's favor...that and when big companies compromise and pay these people off because the payoff is cheaper than defending the case.

Apparently, that's around US$300M. Winning that case would singlehandedly what, quintuple the Russian economy? (yes, yes, I know, I can look up the real figures and it's probably not that big...).

Death said:
Umm, Karl, it's dust. It will burn up in the atmosphere, if it even makes it this far (a dubious proposition in and of itself; space is big, the earth is small), not to mention the planet gets bathed in all sorts of nasty stuff without effect (hell, the DI comet isn't really even all that big to start with, and only a small portion of that was ejected by the hit).

Uhm - dust/gasses won't burn up in the armosphere; too light for that I'd say. Also the reference to other stuff hitting our atmosphere isn't that valid either as those aren't of the same size/same composition. However as you said its not like the comet was hit right next to our planet so it is fairly unlikely anything of it will float into our direction.

Back