my xbox won't turn on!

d3r3k

Spaceman
help!

i've tried three different outlets, two different surge protectors throughout my house, and i've checked all the cables. it won't turn on!

and no, i'm not an idiot, the a/v cables are plugged in. the damn thing isn't turning on.

is it possible for an xbox power supply to die?

has this happened to anyone before?

It's possible for the power supply on anything to die. Have you tried a different power cable?

If it's an old one it's possible. There are some for sale at Lik-Sang for 35$. You'll void your waranty by opening your xbox though. I think it cost 150$ for replacement at Microsoft :mad:. If you don't mind opening your xbox, you can check the connections inside to make sure everythings plug.

i don't have another cable, but i will borrow one.

if it is dead, i'll get a friend to help me out with all the warranty voiding action.

My X-box died last august, luckily it was still under the manufacturer's warranty, and I had Best Buy's service plan (which i usually dont buy but i couldn't get the cashier to shut up so i just took it). I took my X-box there and told them that it wouldn't turn on, they tried it, and then gave me a new one. My new X-box has worked fine since.

another question pertaining to my malfunctioning xbox.

i was able to turn on today, but only for a few minutes.

when it turned on, the green led light flashed red.

once the date/time setup popped up, i plugged in a controller. then, the screen appeared to scramble. crossing between the xbox and the show on the television set.

also, the controller wasn't responding.

any ideas?

You're screwed...

But seriously, do you know if you still have it covered under manufacturer's warranty? Regardless, I'd suggest contacting Microsoft rather than any of us here...they should have some tech people that will walk you through what to do.

it should be under warranty. i got it for christmas last year, ironically enough.

yeah, i've already e-mailed them, now i just have to wait for a reply.

who knows how long that could take.

Found some error codes for xbox somewhere. I'm not sure that will help but...

GREEN/RED Flashing:
Probably a bad chip or bad image.

SOLID GREEN/No EJECT/No AUDIO/No VIDEO:
Probably a bad solder point. Check all your points again.
It could also be a heat problem , make sure your fan is connected and don't put your xbox near heat sources. You can also try to open the top of the xbox and check if it goes better.

SOLID GREEN/No AUDIO/No VIDEO:
This is probably a problems with your audio settings. Try to boot your xbox with a standard a/v pack instead of a HD pack.

ORANGE/GREEN Flashing:
No AUDIO/VIDEO (A/V) pack.
This may also be down to a solder splash on the board or a damaged track.

ORANGE Flashing:
This may also be down to a solder splash on the board or a damaged track. May also be due overheating.

GREEN for half a sec then RED Flashing:
Bad/Corrupted or Empty Eeprom.

SOLID RED:
System overheated , hardware failure , ...

FLASHING RED:
Dead, broken or empty eeprom.

phone customer service up soon as possible, if your warrenty is still valid you'll get a free replacement.

if it isn't, you can pay for a replacement box, no cables or pads just the xbox. for about two thirds retail price i think. but only a three month warrenty.

If I'd lost one XBox already I'd buy it full price from a company which offers extended warrantys (like Dixons)... or just hope Halo 2 and 3 come to PC :p

thanks for the info, guys.

weird thing is that it'll turn on occaisionally now, work for a few hours, then die again for a few days.

Back