My Wing Commander 1 Review (and 2-4 Overview)

Hi there....

I have a small hobby making video game "reviews" I post in a YouTube channel. I mainly focus on retro adventure games but even then I tend to focus on gaming history more than a traditional review.

Anyway, I have been meaning to do some adventure games with full live action FMV sequences in them.. and the more I tried to decide with game to do the more I kept thinking that it would be criminally negligent to not mention wing commander 3 + 4.

So while i was thinking about wing commander 3 and 4, witch btw I never really played as they were just to hardcore for my computers when they came out... I started to remember how obsessed I was with wc1, Sm2 and latter wc2... Man i must have played sm2 a zillion times trying to save those damn birds!!!

Anyway so i tracked down wing commander + sm2, wc2 deluxe and wc4 dvd and started playing and was just blown out of the water how awesome wing commander still is... so i decided to make wing commander the focus of an entire video itself!! Even though I know i will get some flack form the adventure game community because it is not a "pure adventure"

Anyway... I would like to thank this amazing site for all the stuff hosted here, and thought you guys might like to see the final version.

Have fun and Happy Adventuring
Adventure4Life

***LINKS UPDATED***
YouTube = Wing Commander (Review) + 2, 3, 4 Overview
YouTube Direct Link MP4 (32meg) - download
YouTube Direct Link HD MP4 (152meg) - download

It would be freakin sweet if someone did a great reboot of the first two games using a newer game engine (ie Freespace 2) and stayed true to the original story (none of the movie Pilgrim crap).

It would be freakin sweet if someone did a great reboot of the first two games using a newer game engine (ie Freespace 2) and stayed true to the original story (none of the movie Pilgrim crap).

That's a good idea, even if I would prefer remaking WC1 and 2 directly in a 3D engine.

btw I like your review.

This thread wouldn't be complete if I don't point out that WC1 has been remade before (Super Wing Commander). In almost every instance, direct remakes lack the magic that made the original special in the first place. The main issue I have with FS2 for a remake is that it just doesn't quite feel like Wing Commander. I don't really have an opinion on if its a good engine or game even. I'm sure it's fine. There are several fan projects for a variety of IPs that are using it.

If we're going to 'reboot' the series, and if we're talking officially, I sure hope they make their own engine instead of relying on a decade old flight sim. I personally would rather see a new story earlier in the war.

If we're going to 'reboot' the series, and if we're talking officially, I sure hope they make their own engine instead of relying on a decade old flight sim. I personally would rather see a new story earlier in the war.

I completely agree AD. A new story, possibly involving a very frantic McAuliffe Engagement, would be a great addition to the saga. I myself never had the experience of playing Super Wing Commander and was only able to play the original long after when it was included on a PCGamer cd. Though, I suppose things would have to be included to bring in a broader audience, such as ITTS on all ships, gameplay variables such as Standoff's fighter count could be an asset in determining the situation as well as the story.

This thread wouldn't be complete if I don't point out that WC1 has been remade before (Super Wing Commander). In almost every instance, direct remakes lack the magic that made the original special in the first place.

I had a who;e section I wanted to add but was constricted to the 10 min length time limit of the youtube review. Where i used Super Wing Commander to speak of my distain for some of the stuff we see in modern gaming. I was going to use the awesome running sequence and music in wc1 in relation to the awful launch sequence in SWC as a example of were so many games go wrong now that GFX are so much easer to use and the size of the game files is no longer an issue.

I was going to use the awesome running sequence and music in wc1 in relation to the awful launch sequence in SWC.

I found an intro for SWC posted on Youtube by a member named Spoonyone who has much more disdain for it, you may get a few chuckles out of it.

We have the intro and launch sequence at the CIC as well:

https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/6251

johnnyswc7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I found an intro for SWC posted on Youtube by a member named Spoonyone who has much more disdain for it, you may get a few chuckles out of it.

Yeah, I also watched his review "Microcosm", well, he's right on the mark with how I felt about that game.

Thanks to him, whenever I notice a black screen on tv or during a game there's a little voice in the back of my head yelling "LOADING!"

Back