My Tolwyn Essay

Bob McDob

Better Health Through Less Flavor
Also posted on http://www.spacebattles.com :)

Tolwyn loved humanity more than anything. Having lost his family during one of the first attacks on Earth, he vowed that the Kilrathi would never again be a threat to the innocent. He fought against the 'Cats' even before the war officially began. He was promoted to Admiral, commanded battlegroups, saved Earth numerous times thereafter, once when the Kilrathi tried to sneak through an unguarded back door, another during the famed Battle of Earth, Confed's version of the Battle of the Line. By this time he had nothing to lose but the war, and the war was going badly.

The Kilrathi Empire's massive resources were being brought to bear. Humanity was being crushed in a war of attrition. Tolwyn could not bear to see the race he loved so much, that became his true family, destroyed.

So he did something.

The Behemoth Project was our last, best hope for victory. A self-propelled gun eight miles long, firing a beam capable of wiping out an entire planet. Tolwyn banked everything on this desperate gamble for victory.

And he lost.

The Behemoth was destroyed and Tolwyn humiliated. Perhaps even worse, one of his greatest adversaries, Colonal Christopher Blair, the 'Heart of the Tiger', succeeded where he failed. This understandably made him bitter.

That bitterness, combined with years of sending millions of young people off to die and the realization that in the end it probably didn't matter one bit, ate at him.

Something snapped.

Tolwyn became increasingly involved in Black Ops projects. The Behemoth was not the only sucker punch being prepared in a last-ditch effort. Among these was Genetic Enhancement. Men conceived for war, to be genetically superior to the rest of humanity. The warrior elite, the strong, survival of the fittest.

Like many who spent years fighting a war and then realizing it to be practically in vain (among them a young Adolf Hitler), Tolwyn was intrigued by this Fascist idealism. An old warrior, what else to live for except war?

To this end he took matters into his own hands. He conceived of a 'cleansing' fire, much like the Kilrathi prophecies, to destroy the weak and reward the strong. Darwinism taken to its natural extreme. He engineered a war to take the role of the fire, and its kindling would be the Black Lance, supermen warriors who would only know death and destruction. To Tolwyn, who himself knew only death and destruction for much of his life, this was but the logical course. He began to idolize the Kilrathi he had fought against, and by then who were engaged in vicious civil war, as superior, strong, powerful, surivors.

The rest is history. The Amadeus, where a passanger transport carrying civillian refugees was ruthlessly annihilated. Telamon, where a biological (and extremely selective) virus was spread, engineered to weed out the strong from the weak, and kill those deemed unworthy in an extremely gruesome fashion. The war between Confed and the Border Worlds, many dying in the span of only two weeks, all for one man's vision of a superior race.

Tolwyn was captured, tried, and sentanced to death, but he commited suicide before ever telling his story. Which leaves us where we started, a distinctly moral dillema:

Was Tolwyn a tyrant or a patriot?

The answer, at least to me, is both.

Tolwyn was a deeply scarred man. His family died, many of his friends died, his race almost was exterminated. Over time he came to knoe death as an endless cycle, and like many raised in hostile environments, it was kill or be killed. He saw life as an ever-growing line of challangers to humanity, where the only choice was fight or die.

Yet by choosing to fight, Tolwyn was essentially destroying the one thing he had believed in all his life. The Tolwyn who tried to destroy 90% of the human race was not the same one who risked his life and career to rescue a relative handful of people. He didn't see that what he was creating might ensure the human race's survival, but purge it of all its humanity. He saw that in the end.

Thoughts?

To this end he took matters into his own hands. He conceived of a 'cleansing' fire, much like the Kilrathi prophecies, to destroy the weak and reward the strong. Darwinism taken to its natural extreme.

Well, as I've been arguing in the "Seether" thread, what Tolwyn proposed was nothing like Darwinism or natural selection. For one thing, natural selection looks at an induvidual's *overall* fitness to survive, not weeding out people who had particular induvidual genes like the Gen-Select does. Not only that, natural selection doesn't doesn't work on a predetermined ideal of the Master Race, but rather changes its selective pressures based on the challenges the population is facing at any one time and in any one place. And thirdly, natural selection rewards genetic diversity rather than encouraging genetic stagnation by locking us into someone's pre-determined ideals. I won't go into what we covered in that thread again, but there are quite a few instances where genes that where thought to be "bad" actually turned out to be a survival advantage in some situations.

Apart from that though, a pretty good essay. It seems that you've really put a lot of thought into it.

Best, Raptor

. . . he commited suicide before ever telling his story.

No, Colonel Wilhelm Schwarzmont, as Historian of the Fleet, was allowed to interview Tolwyn “on three separate occasions prior to his suicide”.

He didn't see that what he was creating might ensure the human race's survival, but purge it of all its humanity. He saw that in the end.

Well, he certainly rationalized just prior to his suicide that “the entire race need not be brought up to [the] genetic standard” embodied by Seether. But he continued to believe “The Plan” was essential for the survival of the human race, and he clearly still regarded humanity, with its humanity, as “the dregs”.

Fairly unrepentant, I’d say.

Having lost his family during one of the first attacks on Earth, he vowed that the Kilrathi would never again be a threat to the innocent.

Well... not in an attack on Earth -- his family died in the '40s, and the Kilrathi didn't enter the Sol System until '54 (and they didn't actually hit Earth until the false truce of the late 60s).

The Behemoth Project was our last, best hope for victory. A self-propelled gun eight miles long, firing a beam capable of wiping out an entire planet. Tolwyn banked everything on this desperate gamble for victory.

Boo to Babylon 5 references...

However, this isn't really the full story on the Behemoth -- he completed Behemoth not because the Kilrathi would overtake Earth, but because conspirators planned to take over the Confederation's government and install a military leader (under the pretense that the civilian government had been unable to win the war). Tolwyn believed that winning the war as quickly as possible was the way to prevent this, and so he continued the Behemoth project (which he'd worked on in its early stages in the 50s -- but had not seen since...).

Tolwyn became increasingly involved in Black Ops projects. The Behemoth was not the only sucker punch being prepared in a last-ditch effort. Among these was Genetic Enhancement. Men conceived for war, to be genetically superior to the rest of humanity. The warrior elite, the strong, survival of the fittest.

The GE program was a legitimate black op (if that's not a contradiction in terms) that was started back in the 50s (before Wing Commander 1). Tolwyn simply usurped it for his own project after the war...

The rest is history. The Amadeus, where a passanger transport carrying civillian refugees was ruthlessly annihilated.

No reason to single this one out (except that it was probably part of his plan to lure Blair into joining his project) -- dozens if not hundreds of ships were attacked...

I shall take the challenge, and write an essay about Tolwyn -- but what am I trying to prove?

Re: Re: My Tolwyn Essay

Originally posted by Raptor

there are quite a few instances where genes that where thought to be "bad" actually turned out to be a survival advantage in some situations.
[/B]

Sickle cell trait in a malarial environment. Granted being SS sucks, and in a non malarial environment, being AS, is not ideal, but if you have the are in a malarial environment, AS beats AA.

Ah the good old days of evolutionary theory. I'll have to wander over to that Seether thread.

As for Tolwyn, I agree for the most part with Bob McDob's conclusions. I think the case is particularly well laid out in the novels. I think the Confed falling for the truce and the resulting destruction are what pushed him over the edge. It also gave him the means to do what he wanted. He was the hero of Battle of Terra and with Bainbridge and the others dead, he was entrusted with the safety of the confederation and humanity. The Behemoth's failure only strenghtend his fears that humanity wasn't up to the challenge. I get the impression he couldn't really grasp that the war had been won without him, so he seemed to attribute the victory only to luck (which did play a part.) Once he came to that conclusion, I could see were he makes the logical leap that humanity can't take that kind of risk and so he begins to take action. I would love to have seen the follow-ups to False Colors. I get the impression he was further influenced by the conspiracy discussed in that book. I'm wondering how many of his followers truly knew what he was planning.

Despite all the shortcomings you guys have commented on, I applaud Bob's efforts in making a serious contribution the CZ. A concise essay on Tolwyn which goes straight to the point, even with the errors already pointed out.

Originally posted by Wedge009
Despite all the shortcomings you guys have commented on, I applaud Bob's efforts in making a serious contribution the CZ. A concise essay on Tolwyn which goes straight to the point, even with the errors already pointed out.

I don't know, is it really better than the "what is your favorite fighter?" topic? :) Actually I did think he did a nice job.

It got me to thinking, which is often a dangerous thing. Maybe a series of bios for all the major characters should be written up. It should stick to the facts, which LOAF could eventually check for factual errors, and then be prepared for the long awaited Encylopedia Wingcommanderica :) Seriously, if the writing of the articles was farmed out and LOAF and a maybe a few others were to edit and fact check, it might be realistic to get it done. You might run into some disagreements as to what motivates a given character, but I imagine a consensus could be reached. You might get an entry that reads, most experts think Tolwyn was mentally unbalanced, but there are some who feel he was just evil. Not that exactly, but you get the idea. Another problem is the writing ability around here varies quite a bit.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
I shall take the challenge, and write an essay about Tolwyn -- but what am I trying to prove?

I'm interested on your Tolwyn standpoint myself. Just a mild musing will suffice.

My Thoughts

I'm going to say that Tolwyn was a patriot. At least, I believe he was. He may have gone about things wrong and a bit too narrow-mindedly... but I feel his heart was in the right place.

Maybe it's because I could easily see myself being more of a Tolwyn than a Blair. Dunno but I got the "Tyrant Blair," ending the very first time I played through WC4!

:D

Re: My Thoughts

Well, you know what they say about the raod to Hell. Besides, it's hard to equate patriotism with killing your fellow soldiers, killing the civilians you're meant to protect, subverting your lawfully elected government, and attcking the values of justice, democracy and freedom that Confed stands for. All those activities seem distinctly unpatriotic to me.

Best, Raptor

RE: My Thoughts ][

Yes, Raptor. Can't it also be said that a man can love his nation so much that he is willing to go to any means to change it (for the better)?

Re: RE: My Thoughts ][

Well, there's love and then there's love. How many people have been murdered by spouses or ex-lovers who "loved" them so much that they would rather see their love dead rather than be with someone else? Killing a person because you don't want to change or move away from you isn't love. And destroying your nation because you don't want to see it become something you don't agree with isn't patriotism.

And what, precisely, do you you mean by changes for for the better? Killing all the billions and trillions of people who don't fit one man's vision of the Master Race? Turning an open and pluralistic society governed by the common law into a Neo-Nazi state? Waging a needless and unjusstified war on peacfull neighbours? None of those changes are for the better.

Or do you mean giving us the ability to fight off an alien invasion? Here'a newflash: We kicked Nephilim butt in WC:p and in SO. And we did it without sacrificing our freedom, without killing trillions of our own, and without opressing neibouring nations. That's a win-win situation. What Tolwyn planned might be for the better as far as those who are part of the Master Race are concerned, but not for the rest of humanity.

Best, Raptor

Re: Re: My Thoughts

Well, you know what they say about the raod to Hell. Besides, it's hard to equate patriotism with killing your fellow soldiers, killing the civilians you're meant to protect, subverting your lawfully elected government, and attcking the values of justice, democracy and freedom that Confed stands for. All those activities seem distinctly unpatriotic to me.

You also seem to have a bad habit of thinking "in the box".

Re: Re: My Thoughts

Well, you know what they say about the raod to Hell. Besides, it's hard to equate patriotism with killing your fellow soldiers,
Best, Raptor

An admiral sends good people out to die, often on missions that are frankly suicidal. Perhaps it's not a big jump from ordering men to their deaths to killing them yourself.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

The novels (sp End Rund and Fleet Action) showed he had a tough time sending folks off to die. Based on those alone, I could have seen him attempt some type of coup, but the extent of his madness surprised me.

Re: Re: Re: My Thoughts

Originally posted by LeHah

You also seem to have a bad habit of thinking "in the box".

No, just a bad habit of reading the dictionary and knowing what words mean.

Also, there is a world of differance between sending troops out to die in war, and committing wholesale mass murder of people who pose no threat to you. If there wasn't, i would expect to see a whole lot of mass murders committed by ex-commanders.

Best, Raptor

Back