My sound drivers make Privateer stall

Darth Roel

Spaceman
Ok, new problem. Using a boot disk I got Privateer to work without sound. However I also found out why I couldn't get Privateer to work before: my sound drivers. I have a Soundblaster PCI128. The driver I am using is located in C:\progra~1\creative\ctsnd\dosdrv\apinit.com
when I load this file and subsequently try to run priv of rf the game imediately stall my computer.

my config.sys is:
DEVICE=C:\WIN95_25\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WIN95_25\EMM386.EXE RAM 16384 /I=B000-B7FF
dos=umb
dos=high
files=30
buffers=30
stacks=18,256

and my autoexec.bat is:
@IF ERRORLEVEL 1 PAUSE
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 T2
SET SNDSCAPE=C:\WIN95_25
SET NUMLOCK=OFF
LH C:\Logitech\MOUSE\MOUSE.EXE
PATH=C:\WIN95_25;C:\WIN95_25\COMMAND;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM;D:\BIN;C:\1DIRPLUS;D:\UTILS\NU
rem C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\CTSND\DOSDRV\APINIT.COM

where the last line is my sound driver which I remmed so Priv would work. Anybody have any experience working with this driver or know where I could download one that works with my SB PCI128 and Privateer? Any input would be appreciated! :)

Well, the SB PCI128 has a special driver for MS-Dos Mode, called Legacy Drive that emulates Soundblaster Pro, Soundscape, MPU-401 and Adlib. I've of course tried all of these, however with the same result everytime.

I believe that card also supports General MIDI.

Try activating music only with no digital sounds; see if that gives you the same problem.

It alread stalls if I have no sound selected. For some weird reason Privateer doesn't seem to like the driver to be loaded, wheather it is used or not. I don't really understand why, and was hoping someone might know where I could find a dedicated Dos driver that works with my soundcard.

Thanks for the advice (creative web), but that's the first place I went. They don't really seem al that interested in providing DOS drivers for their newer cards, which is understandable, but unfortunate for those of us who still love our old games.

Creative is one of the best companies in that respect. I've never seen a product they haven't provided DOS drivers for. Hell, my CD-RW came with a disk with DOS CD drivers on it.

TC

Yeah, well they do have a DOS driver (called APINIT.com), but that causes Priv to stall (regardless whether sound is turned on or off, just loading the driver is enough to make Privateer stall), and there aren't any other ones available at their web site.

Yeah,

I've already done that. If I rem the apinit.com it works fine ... I just don't get any sound, because apinit.com is the sound driver! That in a nutshell is my problem.

I don't think there's much we can do to help, then; seems to be a problem for Creative to solve. Somehow, I doubt they're actually going to solve it, since so few people play DOS games these days.

I kinda was afraid of that, just hoping someone had encountered the same problem and found drivers that work. I'm looking into getting an old SB 16 that I can use to get some sound, thanks for all the suggestions anyway. :)

Back