My God, It's Full of Stars (September 27, 2011)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
We have a treat for you today: the famous Wing Commander Universe map included as a poster with Wing Commander Prophecy has been rendered as a digital image using its source files! The result is a beautiful, crisp 11,016x6,840 pixel scan that weighs in at just under fifty megabytes. Thanks to Jetlag for generating the incredible image from Origin's files! PopsiclePete, who has also been working on this effort, hopes to have a searchable PDF version available in the future.

--
Original update published on September 27, 2011

Last edited by a moderator:
I do! The staff of the CIC's predecessor, WCHS, have star systems in that same area. Reid is Chris Reid, of course, and Hardwicke is Dan "Akkbar" Hardwicke. The funny one is Miller, which was named after ace--who wasn't using his real name on the internet at the time (so they named the system after his pseudonym without knowing.)

And then, ace's name was corrected via page 3 of Star*Soldier!

Correction:
In last month’s article, Mapping the Next Frontier, we referred to the Miller System
in the Shelus Quadrant. Miller spent four years cut off from the Confederation following
jump line shifts resulting from the Hardwicke supernova. Its residents have
reapplied for Confederation membership as the Strevell System.

Haha. That is awesome. An old, but certainly well earned recognition, guys. :)

Love the map btw - I was searching for a large version on a number of occasions. Thanks for pulling this out, guys! This would print up well to go on the wall for anyone who missed out on the prophecy boxed version. :cool:

I've wondered about this for some time but never asked, but what is Triton in the upper left corner by Earth in the side boxes? Is it the moon Triton around Neptune?

Great upload! Thanks! I wish I had a large enough printer to get it on paper and put up on my wall..(the entire wall by the looks of it) :D
I have a couple of questions about the map though.

Its been awhile since I've gone through the WC-lore. The map says Gorah Khar is part of "Kilrathi Assembley of Clans", the latter which I assume is the post-war Melek lead Kilrathi Society. Is it stated anywhere if Gorah Khar was first recaptured during the war and returned to Kilrah, or if the planet survived the war and then volontarily joined the "KAoC". It would kind of have sucked if the planet had fallen before the end of the war. Cant imagine the Kilrathi would have been very friendly to their "fallen" bretheren.

Second: The Alcor system, famous for its housing of Dr. Severin in a local Kilrathi jail during the events of WC3. The Alcor system is in the smack centre of the Vega sector. Did the kilrathi really hold that system so far in Confed-space or was it a snafu made by the map-designer(s)? Was that portion of the Vega-sector perhaps retaken by the kilrathi after the disastrous 2668 offensive but later returned to confed?

Thx for yer patience with dumb questions :)

Near the end of the war the Kilrathi made large gains in Vega. Right before the T-bomb is dropped they actually capture Torgo (and call it Ko-Bar Yagar).

So yes, following the losses in '68 Confed lost hold of some of those systems but regained them after the treaty.

hehe.. pete, make a note of that.. time to update the system status to Strevell

Heh--honestly I'd rather not see the original map updated. I know there are "errors," but I see it as kind of like the original copy of the Constitution... :)

I've wondered about this for some time but never asked, but what is Triton in the upper left corner by Earth in the side boxes? Is it the moon Triton around Neptune?

Looks like it--I think the picture is supposed to be Triton with Neptune in the background.

Its been awhile since I've gone through the WC-lore. The map says Gorah Khar is part of "Kilrathi Assembley of Clans", the latter which I assume is the post-war Melek lead Kilrathi Society. Is it stated anywhere if Gorah Khar was first recaptured during the war and returned to Kilrah, or if the planet survived the war and then volontarily joined the "KAoC". It would kind of have sucked if the planet had fallen before the end of the war. Cant imagine the Kilrathi would have been very friendly to their "fallen" bretheren.

Good question--short answer is that we don't know. The last we heard of Ghorah Khar was in a Victory Streak article dated 2669.217 where it was still a Confederation system--so about two months before the war ended. We know there was a major push in the last days of the war on the part of the Kilrathi... but it's also possible the planet voluntarily left the Confederation sometime after the war (for those unfamiliar, the political lines of the map are as recognized by the Confederation in 2680; in reality there's not a single 'Assembly of Clans' but a five-sided civil war going on in the Kilrathi space...)

Second: The Alcor system, famous for its housing of Dr. Severin in a local Kilrathi jail during the events of WC3. The Alcor system is in the smack centre of the Vega sector. Did the kilrathi really hold that system so far in Confed-space or was it a snafu made by the map-designer(s)? Was that portion of the Vega-sector perhaps retaken by the kilrathi after the disastrous 2668 offensive but later returned to confed?

Yeah, I think it's safe to say fighting was still going on in the Vega Sector all the way through the last days of the war. That said, it's also worth pointing out that these jump lines may not have been known in 2669. With the weird exception of the jump to Vega itself, Alcor mostly ties back to big once-Kilrathi systems (Freya where the fleet gathered for the attack on Kilrah, Cairo where the Sivar was developed, Loki where the Behemoth was tested.)

Oki doki guys! Thanks for the response :)

Yeh I agree its logical that the Vega sector were more or less overrun in the 2668 offensive, if I remember the lore connected to the Battle of Earth correctly. And the Vega sector is a logical approach to Earth from the Kilrathi side.
Kinda sucks though..I worked my ass off freeing Vega sector in the first Wing Commander ;)

(for those unfamiliar, the political lines of the map are as recognized by the Confederation in 2680; in reality there's not a single 'Assembly of Clans' but a five-sided civil war going on in the Kilrathi space...)
Hmm... do we know that about the 2680s? The five-sided civil war was in False Colors, right? It's possible that war would have ended by 2681, unless Star*Soldier says something about it.

I guess theoretically Chris Roberts do not have to conform to even Wing Commander Prophecy. For all we know, if he decides to renew the Wing Commander universe he will not take the whole "Nephilim" and post WC4 universe into account.

What up with the Dallas system? Any explanation why it has a jump line that folds back on itself?

What up with the Dallas system? Any explanation why it has a jump line that folds back on itself?

Yes. ;)

Bandit LOAF said:
It's an Origin Systems in-joke--it refers to a company organizational chart that Origin VP Dallas Snell once drew that consisted of his name with an arrow pointing back at itself.

I guess theoretically Chris Roberts do not have to conform to even Wing Commander Prophecy. For all we know, if he decides to renew the Wing Commander universe he will not take the whole "Nephilim" and post WC4 universe into account.

Honestly, I think what you'll see is a game that goes back to the Kilrathi war and just doesn't touch on the later games at all. I don't think he'd have any reason to disregard the later games--they are the product of the group he created, after all. :) (Heck, he uses the very WCU map we're talking about right now in the intro to the movie!)

(That said, EA may prevent anyone using the license from 'messing with' Prophecy. I remember early on in Arena one of the oddly specific requirements from corporate was that we HAD to set the game after theoretical Prophecy sequels, to leave that room for the future. A number of people who are now top industry developers and EA executives cut their teeth on WCP...)

Ah! Feedback loop management style! Thats 'circular' as opposed to 'horizontal' company hierarchy... I'd always wondered what it was about, now I know, thanks! Isn't life wonderful, that there can be all these in-jokes in a serious business!

Well regardless of what Chris does, :), (my main hope is that he does SOMETHING), I would prefer some sort of return to the Kilrathi war if I had to choose over that and the Nephilim-crap :p
That might be a little harsh on the good and talented people who made WC Prophecy, but that game left me cold..story-wise. :( <sniff>

Back