My first encounter with the Concordia's AMG

dacis2

Rear Admiral
it was in that SO mission where the Concordia takes on the 2 Frathras on its own.

I saw the Frathras shoot an AMG at the Concordia, and damages it.

The Connie fires back 5 AMGs at the Frathras, one hit. No damage.

The Frathras shoot back, some sections of the Concordia turn red. The Concordia fires this megabig dookeky red gun thingy thats bigger than the Concordia at the unhit Frathra.

BOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

Also the shotgun AMG hits the other Fratha, again, one hit, but no visible damage.

The Frathra shoots back, making another red spot on the damage display.

Concordia fires shotgun, hits, no damage.

Then fires big red ball, hits and Frathra dies.

Now why does the Concordia take so much damage and not die?

And why do the Frathra take so many AMGs and still show no red portions?

and most importantly...

I FINISHED SO1 and 2! HAVING A HELLAVA LOTTA PROBLEMS GETTIGN SM1 and 2 to work!!

The Concordias AMG guns are there, but are basically the equivalent of spraying someone in the face with a squirt gun to piss 'em off before you turn the hose on 'em.

relative to the PTC at least. :D

AMGs are scary to the player because they do way lots of damage - one salvo from the fralthra will kill most fighters, IIRC. The scary part to capships - no longer having effective shields - doesnt apply in fighters, and its not surprising that guns that take 3 solid salvos to kill a Broadsword dont kill the Connie in the same time.

That and I think they might have set the damage threshhold for showing red to "somewhat dinged" for dramatic effect. Ive never heard of/seen the Connie lose that mission.

Yea, it wouldn't do to have the Concordia buying it, and there was nothing the player could do to prevent it.

Actually, I seem to remember the Concordia being destroyed in the last mission of the Gwyenned System in WC2 - after Shadow was killed, the Fralthra destroyed the Concordia. Only had it happen a couple times, out of the God knows how many times I've played through WC2.

Nope, can't happen outside of a cutscene. (And the game locks up if you try and finger-of-death the Concordia).

Giant energy balls aren't as popular weapons as they used to be. Nowadays it's all BEAMS, BEAMS, BEAMS. And MISSILE SWARMS. I wish someone would bring back large glowing balls of doom.

Well, they had glowing balls of death in WCP and WCSO. Well, kinda... the plasma guns were sorta fireball shaped. I do think the lasers look better as beams than little yellow balls, though.

Particle guns are balls in WCP/SO. Some weapons work better as beams, from an artistic point of view. But, say, neutron guns . . . they'd need to stay either non-beam altogether, or semi-beam, like the Bug-Smashin' plasma gun.

Mass drivers are still balls. Testicles are still balls. The big plasma blast from Midway was a semi-ball. So were some of the guns from SO.

The mass drivers in WCP/SO should have been bump-mapped. That would have made them more rad. Yeah, I want a high resolution mass driver mod!

Which gun is the testicle gun? Are they bump-mapped? Are they capable of rapid fire and linked firing?

I am also pretty sure I had the concordia destroyed by AMG shots somewhere. Its definitely possible to get the "With your carrier destroyed you drift helpless in space" 'ending' in WC2 however.

I've also heard Major Edmond giving the "Abandon Ship! All hands, abandon ship!" comm, and that happened while based on the Concordia.

Would the Gravitic Flux Cannon (?) that the Sivar packed around be a beam, a ball, or some sorta freaky wave-shooting thing like you would find in a side-scroller?

Back