Movie Sequences in FS2 Engine

U

Unregistered

Hi Folks,
The big difference between Wing Commander games and other (space) sims was (or is..) the fact that you can somehow "influence" the process of the game.

Furthermore you are part of a living environment - displayed with movies - you "interact" with other crew members, there is friendship, treachery, love etc. It is a big difference if you get your mission briefing from a censorious Captain Eisen or from an anonymus text.

Now (finally) my question:

I'am nearly sure that it is not possible to have interactive movies in the FS2 engine, but in the briefing screen movies would be possible (although no interactive ones..).

Is something like that planned ?

Would it be a crime to extract certain movies from WC3 or WC4 to use them in WC SAGA --> or let's say to "rebuild" for example WC3 as closely as possible and to make this "Remake" available for download (haha..I'm nearly sure that's electrocution in the US..) ?

It's strange that it is no more possible to buy WC3 or WC4 (not even WC Prophecy Gold) and that programming code, films etc. are still kept "protected" by EA --> learn a lesson from volition !!

Regards, thank you in advance for WC SAGA + sorry about my English (it's obvious that it is not my native language)

Andreas

Unregistered said:
sorry about my English (it's obvious that it is not my native language)
Hey it's my native language but you'll probibly better than me at English in everyway (and I'm not taking the piss).

Unregistered said:
Would it be a crime to extract certain movies from WC3 or WC4 to use them in WC SAGA

Probably not, but it would be pointless, lazy and stupid when we can make our own.

scottandfiddle said:
Hey it's my native language but you'll probibly better than me at English in everyway (and I'm not taking the piss).

True... Strangely people with English as their native langue are sometimes worse at writing it than the rest of us...:confused:

I'am nearly sure that it is not possible to have interactive movies in the FS2 engine
Right...at the moment their hasn't been anyone who coded that into FS2...still an interesting thought.
On the other hand you would have to create all the cutscene material for it what would be quite some work for a small modding team like ours.

but in the briefing screen movies would be possible (although no interactive ones..).
Is something like that planned ?
For the prologue we are working on some smaller cutscenes. But as said we are a small team so comming up with cutscenes for every peace of the story would be hard. The frequency of cutscenes would be more like in WC1+2 where only the most importend parts of the story got their cutscenes.
Its all a matter of the time we have to do it this.
If I don't get a job and work 12-16h a day I am sure that we could provide a lot of cutscenes. Even if that would be great for the mod it would be bad for me ^_^

About taking some WC3+4 footage. As said above it would be an easy way of doing it but most of the stuff wouldn't fit into the story, except some generic stuff. So it won't be any big help in doing so.
About the copyright aspect...well doing the mod is allready illegal in some way...ripping the video would be the same.

It's strange that it is no more possible to buy WC3 or WC4 (not even WC Prophecy Gold) and that programming code, films etc. are still kept "protected" by EA --> learn a lesson from volition !!

Volition/Interplay just released the code for their engine. That dosn't mean that they have given up their rights on the series.
Still the improvements that had been made are nice.

Regards, thank you in advance for WC SAGA + sorry about my English (it's obvious that it is not my native language)
Thanks and their is hope that we will soon have a release...if we get the last bugs out of the game. (Last time I looked at the list we where down to 17).

Not to be forgotten is our extensive written fiction that will flesh out characters and provide players with information on the interaction of characters in between missions!

So, while we won't have a lot of cutscenes, you will still see a lot of interaction and character development through the written fiction (which will be integrated into the game, so you won't have to exit the game to read it).

Dyret said:
True... Strangely people with English as their native langue are sometimes worse at writing it than the rest of us...:confused:
Well the reason my English isn't good is actually I have a language problem though "Experts" said I would never talk and listen to me now (ohhh wait a minute you can't as this is a text based fourm!)

Unregistered said:
if we get the last bugs out of the game. (Last time I looked at the list we where down to 17).
Unless I'm mistaken you havn't relised a version 1 of the game yet so technically if you get rid of all the bugs some how and have a perfect version 1 you could win some money (though due to the legal reason you already pointed out it might not work). In case your wondering wat I'm talking about is that there was a compition made 20 years ago for the first program to be made wiithout a bug on the first version. The prize then was $20,000 now a few million!
p.s. sorry for the 2 replies in a row!

Would be great if we could get rid of all bugs but I see it more realistic as these are only the bugs we and the testers found...their will be bugs in the first release...if not their is something wrong...its like a law of physic ^_^

PS: You don't have to excuse yourself every time. ^_^

scottandfiddle said:
Well the reason my English isn't good is actually I have a language problem though "Experts" said I would never talk and listen to me now (ohhh wait a minute you can't as this is a text based fourm!)

Maybe that has some relevance when you talk, but it doesn't really fly when you're writing and you have the opportunity to go over and proofread your posts.

gevatter Lars said:
Would be great if we could get rid of all bugs but I see it more realistic as these are only the bugs we and the testers found...their will be bugs in the first release...if not their is something wrong...its like a law of physic

Hey Lars, I sent you an email.

ChrisReid said:
Maybe that has some relevance when you talk, but it doesn't really fly when you're writing and you have the opportunity to go over and proofread your posts.

True but my language problem does affect my grammer as I sometime say things or write things that is wrong. To me it's right but to the rest of the world it's wrong. If you look at all my threads and ignore the fact that most of them have some form of arguing you'll notice mistakes and I mean more than the usual person.

Rance's birth defects and complete lack of fine motor control don't stop us from blaming him for losing the flag every time.

Back