Mouse Problem

Kitesawa

Spaceman
hello. i recently upgraded my system, and wanted to run WCP on it just to see how much more eye-popping it could get. however, i cannot start the game. when i try, i immediately get an error like:

Mouse::install no mouse found

i have a logitech trackball which functions flawlessly everywhere else i've used it. it's a USB input device, but i even tried plugging it into the PS2 port using an adapter -- no luck. i've used trackballs for many years, and on my previous platform i ran WCP successfully with one. the significant differences here are:

1) i replaced the motherboard and CPU, upgrading both to "geniune intel" hardware running 800mhz on a 133 bus.

2) i am now running windows ME, whereas before it was windows 98. however, no other application encounters difficulty recognizing the "mouse".

i'm afraid the answer will be "nobody knows, it's ME and that's new." but maybe someone will have a thought...? is there any way to bypass the mouse check? i looked in the WCP operating directory...there aren't a lot of config files to work on...

----------

"if i could pull the nerves from my skin, i would..."

.j.

is anyone else out there running WCP successfully on the new windows ME platform?

i wish i had a borin' ole PS2 microsoft mouse to test this on, but all i've got is the trackball...the annoying thing is i don't think i even NEED the mouse in the game -- if i remember correctly, you can also point and click with the joystick. grrr...

----------

"someone stop my hands from shaking..."

.j.

progress! well, sort of...

i decided to try uninstalling the logitech trackball drivers (windows can run the input device using default drivers). apparently that did the "trick." the game started right up. so the problem is still there: for some reason, windows ME + trackball = failure.

unfortunately, i found a NEW problem. i'll browse around to see if anyone else has seen this, and i'll mention it here too: the cinematics skip. they run EXTREMELY fast, like the video equivalent of using your forward scan on an audio CD. 1 second of footage plays, then it skips maybe 10 seconds, etc. etc. my fear here is this is just a consequence of trying to play a game whose recommended system requirements are a fraction of my current system (800mhz, 133 bus). but on the other hand, that seems absurd...it's not like i'm running dual processors or something. i'd expect WC1 or 2 to "flicker by", but not this last one...

anyhow, thanks for any thoughts...

----------

"you can say you're sorry, but still you know that it won't change a thing..."

.j.

okay...all problems solved. i really need to be more confident, solve the issues on my own, and not bug you pros...i just end up looking silly.

still, in case anyone else ever has these weird problem combos:

1) i uninstalled the logitech drivers, and WCP ran fine. then i reinstalled them...and WCP still ran fine except for that video skipping...weird.

2) with a little help from the EA tech page, i found the hardware acceleration for my sound card. when i set acceleration to "none", the skipping went away. guess the PC is "fast enough" without the direct-X perk...

thanks for your time...

----------

"i've got nothing to lose...but my soul to bare..."

.j.

Back