Most memorable wc moment

My personal gameplay highlights would be:

Wing Commander I

I originally played this game with my best friend on the Amiga, taking it in turns with one just flying and the other using the keyboard controls as a co-pilot.

One time, we were flying through an asteroid belt being chased by a Salthi, and I suddenly thought it would be a great idea to afterburn towards an asteroid, duck out of the way and let the Salthi hit it. Unfortunately, in my enthusiam, I neglected to communicate the whole plan to my comrade and just shouted, "SPEED NOW!" and whacked the afterburner. With no warning or time to maneouvre, we just smacked straight into it.

Wing Commander III

Encountering the K'ha'haf for the first time. I was like, "Whoa, what the %!&*!?"

Stealing the Excalibur with Rachel's help and discovering its lovely tracking guns.

Flying drunk. :)

The 'Death Star Trench' at the end. ;)

Wing Commander IV

For some reason, I love the photo mission with the Hellcat.

Spending ages trying to recreate Seether's trick, hehe.

After defecting, getting into a Vindicator and discovering the stormfire cannon. :D

Flying the Dragon, still my favourite fighter of all time.

Wing Commander Prophecy

I adore the atmosphere of the first mission. It has so many main characters all buzzing around together in that gorgeous asteroid field, and then the Nephilim turn up and they come up as "Unknown". Oh, and you're in the Piranha, my favourite light fighter.

Probably my most memorable Wing Commander (gameplay) moment, was when I was defending the Midway from Skates in one mission. I'd just destroyed a Skate Cluster and was turning for a new target when an enemy torpedo blazed right past my canopy. I immediately turned and afterburned after it, inadvertently coming alongside it, with the bridge of the Midway looming in front of us. With no time to drop back and shoot it, I just reacted out of pure instinct and rammed it side on, destroying the torpedo and my ship.

What got me was this... I didn't think about it, I just snapped the joystick over and took it out, saving the Midway. So, the question is, had that been a real situation, and not a computer game, would I have done the same thing? It got me thinking a lot, hence, my most memorable moment.

Spirits death in WC2 was one of the saddest moments for me in all the games, she'll always be my favourite wingman.

Playing WC3 for the first time on Playstation at my cousin's house. My only previous experience with the series had been the SNES version of secret missions, a game I had rented nearly every week from my local game rental place til they went out of business, and I was stoked to see there had been further games in the series. Anyway, I turned it on and was watching the opening sequence thinking 'this is pretty cool -hey wait a sec thats Mark Hamill!' which I found especially cool because I was finally getting into Star Wars and sci fi in general at about the same time. A small thing, but one of my most memorable moments.

OT: I'm finally back! :) Although you probably don't remember me. :p
Back on topic, the missions I finished with major damage definitely rate high, I really missed components falling off one-by-one in the last few games, finishing with half-engines, no afterburners, and one gun makes you feel like you really accomplished something.

WC4: when you have to choose between siding with Vagabond and going with Eisen, or staying with Confed.

It really felt like a life-or-death decision.

There was this mission in Wing Commander 2 where I was in a Ferret soling about and ten guys came at me. When I return to base I was told that I had scored zero kills.

I remember playing Wing Commander 1 on super nintendo a lot when I was little. I used to build Hornets out of legos, and blow up miniature lego dralthis. The hornet was my favorite fighter back then, because I wasn't very good at the game, and the hornet missions were the easiest.

When Wing Commander 3 came out, I upgraded to making lego hellcats and excalibers.

Wing Commander I

Landing on the Claw for the first time after completeing a mission on my own. Which took me a long time because I was pretty you when WCI first came out. I felt a great sense of achievment afterwards.

I was shocked when I took damage for the first time and noticed parts of my cockpit exploding. I wasn't expecting that.

Taking on my first Ralari. I hadn't read the manual before I first played the game and I didn't expect to see a Kilrathi cap ship so when I came out of autopilot and saw this big ship looming infront of me I was like "whoa...."

Coming back from a realy tough mission successfully but severly damaged with my cockpit and ship beat hell. I line up up for landing with the claw so relieved to have finaly made it through in one piece and then I try to request landing. Static on my comms screen. I hit C thirty or forty times not willing to accept I couldn't land because my comms system was destroyed shouting "NO!!!" I couldn't believe that after fighting so hard and barely making it through I couldn't land because I had no comms. I even tried to creep into the landing bay at 10KPS but no luck. I was gutted.

Wing Commander II

The whole beginning of WCII was a shock for me. Loosing the Tiger Claw which I had learned to love from WCI, invisible fighters, Blair being acused of being a traitor and ten years assigned to back water station.

Another memorable moment for me was the fun I had taking a Broadsword out and jumping to another system for the first time and refueling in flight with a clydesdale tanker then going on to blow up a fuel depot and then heading back thinking "I love this baby". Didn't love it so much though when I realised that the enemy could shoot down my torpedoes before they hit. Also the first time a Ralatha fired its AMG at me. Didn't see that coming. :D

All the great cutscenes and enjoying blowing Jazz out of the sky the most. Man it felt good to have him squirming in my gunsites begging for his life after he ejects :D

Wing Commander III

Seeing the Concordia lying in the sea with mini explosions and two Hellcats flying past it in the into is a scene I will never forget.

Also when the Behemoth is introduced. Big massive huge honking space gun. Never saw that one coming. I was even more shocked to see how massive it was and I remember actually flying down the barrel with afterburners locked on in an arrow taking a while to even reach the other end.

Also one thing I remember aswell is when I first played it during the first mission I was expecting it to go into a launch sequence like the first two games and I was surprised to be sitting on deck of the TCS Victory and actually getting to take off myself. Also when I got back to the Victory I was surprised to see that you can actually land your fighter yourself. I thought that was a nice touch.

Wing Commander IV

First thing that I remeber about WCIV was the whole idea of defecting. I remember struggling with decision and wondering what the right move to make was. Flying for the Border Worlds a surprise twist that I wasn't expecting.

I also remeber when Eisen tells you that he is leaving the BWS Intrepid and you get to command her. Getting to pick and choose sets of missions aquiring lots of new toys for Pliers if you go to Spearadon.

Another scene I always remember is when you land on Telamon and Blair hears the details of the attack and being surprised at the description he gives you of the gen select bioweapon right before he opens the zipper on the bodybag and you get to see the gruesome effects of it up close.

While I had many great moments in almost every WC game, the most memorable is the cutscene in WC2 where the Emperor and Thrakhath talk about Khasra, Thrakthaths father and his want to go to war.

"Khasra! I have heard enough of Khasra!"- it's simply the best line for me, they had great voices. I'll never forget it.

Mine might have been during the speech Melek is giving Blair after Kilrah is destroyed. You don't exactly know if he is going to kill Blair or not, or do something violent to him. But then Blair looks confused, then Melek announces his surrender. Then when he's bowing and says, "The Kirathi must not die out as a race..." That part gave me chills. It might have been the perfect timing between the dialogue and the music, but it's just an extremely well done scene and I always get a tad emotional when I watch it.

Mine might have been during the speech Melek is giving Blair after Kilrah is destroyed. You don't exactly know if he is going to kill Blair or not, or do something violent to him. But then Blair looks confused, then Melek announces his surrender. Then when he's bowing and says, "The Kirathi must not die out as a race..." That part gave me chills. It might have been the perfect timing between the dialogue and the music, but it's just an extremely well done scene and I always get a tad emotional when I watch it.
Speaking of great scenes, the part in WCIV where Blair tries to get the assembly to vote against war was awesome.

Actually the atmosphere was a bit mild there, in my opinion. For some reason that whole scene looked unreal to me....

I just realized while playing armada on ace level that i'm really not that good a pilot...
But, i managed to down 15 cats in a banshee :) That was THE longest dogfight of my life. I don't think i will ever be able to repeat that.
In the end i lost, since i ran out of afterburner :(

Wing Commander I
I hit C thirty or forty times not willing to accept I couldn't land because my comms system was destroyed shouting "NO!!!" I couldn't believe that after fighting so hard and barely making it through I couldn't land because I had no comms. I even tried to creep into the landing bay at 10KPS but no luck. I was gutted.

I don't remember ever not being able to finally land by hitting the button enough times. You should have hit it 41 times.

Actually the atmosphere was a bit mild there, in my opinion. For some reason that whole scene looked unreal to me....
It seemed like a difficult scene to direct. I kind of felt that throughout it, the Assembly Hall kept getting smaller and smaller. But I mean, the focus had to be on Blair and Tolwyn. Still pretty well done I think.

I really liked the scene. I don't know what happens in the book, but in the game Tolwyn accepts almost everything that Blair says without thinking once. I believe that the argument could have been a little different on that. Other than that, the scene is great, Hammill and McDowell were amazing acting there.

My new most memorable WC moment is the now recorded in my signature. 53 minutes before we thought Arena was going to be released and with only 2 episodes of WCA left in our all night marathon, Hades informed us that the moment had finally arrived. It was one of the coolest events for the WC community in a while and it was great to see a lot of familiar Gamertags in those first few games.

Watching my favorite carrier slag a fraltha with the PTC..., and having no idea it was coming.... priceless.

Seeing my favorite carrier, smashed into little bits in the ocean in WC3, despite it having torn numerous fraltha a (to quote duke nukem) "new one".... that'll stick.

In 3DO WC3- the nebula mission where the Victory and two (Southampton?) class destroyers mow through a series of corvettes, destroyers, and a carrier while you provide fighter cover- now THAT's a fleet defense mission :)

WC3 PC, slaying half the kilrathi fleet with an Excal- amazing!

WC1- limping home fighting a wing of technologically superior fighters after your wingman is dead, one gun is shot off, and your shields are non-functional- unmatched.

WC4- Running the Ella gauntlet with the intrepid- fantastic!

Back