More Privateer Predicaments...

Glad to have been of help Dralthi5.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

http://www.ntr.net/~vondoom

Don't go knocking the Galaxy. It was a great ship. It was fast enough to outrun most trouble, and it had tons of cargo space. I always like making money by geeting a couple contracts for New Detroit (there were almost always 3 between the Merchants Guild and the kiosk) and loading up on either food from Helen (which is a decent way to make money, buying food & liquor on Helen and selling it on one of the mining bases)or ore from one of the stations (depending on how much money you have) and make a nice profit. Often there are missions at New Detroit for stuff needed in Troy. And the more you can carry, the more money you can make.

I agree with shane, the galaxy was allaround a good ship.

------------------
"I'm putting you back in the cockpit Colonel, where you will be reunited with an old friend, the thrill of battle!"
-Tolwyn to Blair WC IV

No arguments here. I loved my Galaxy.

The day I upgraded to a Centurian was filled with mixed emotions. Centurians might be flashy, but I can't imagine being stuck in one for a very long time in real life (assuming they and WC were real). However, I imagine one could setup a Galaxy so it was not only a great cargo ship with enough power to fight, but also a pimping ride as you travel througout the bases and worlds of Gemini.

I wonder, any body out there that is really partial to the Orion? I respect it's power, it's an awesome gunship, but with its lack of speed and agility it was almost like flying a really small corvette, and I don't mean that in a good way. Not to put down anyone that loves it, it just doesn't fit my flying style.

Hm, I guess I prefer being a bounty hunter, since I love the Centurion and I didn't fly in the Galaxy all too often. One of the reasons for that could be that I could never make any real profit while shiping goods in Priv.

Amen Earthworm, I could generally clear 20 to 30,000 a run just doing merc missions in troy. Couldn't match that doing cargo.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

http://www.ntr.net/~vondoom

I always felt the Galaxy was a really nice ship. It looks better than the Centurion, and it has a far nicer cockpit (not to mention that it has two VDUs). However, things being what they are, I decided to stick with the Centurion. The thought of going after Jones in a Galaxy... <shudder>
I promised myself that I'd trade the Centurion in for a Galaxy once I finished the plot, but by the time I finished the plot the game was rather boring. I mean, how many Retros can you kill before you get sick of their taunts?
wink2.gif

But even in the Centurion, you can make a decent profit on trade. I used to do this in the Perry system (it's a good place for patrol missions, since the longer the route, the more money you get), where I'd take three patrol missions, load up on a cargo, and fly from Perry to Annapolis or vice-versa.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have cash on hand and find the right prices you can make a good chunk of money off trade. You buy Uranium or Plutonium in Troy at 460 or 980 and then sell it in New Detroit for 576 or 1152 (the highest prices I can recall), that's anywhere from 120 to 172 creds per unit. You have a Galaxy full of that and you make the run to New detroit if your average profit is 150, you make 33 thousand and some change. If you get a couple of those 12-18 thousand Merchant Guild runs to New Detroit at the same time, you can make another 30 thousand. Not bad for one trip. In all honesty, most of the time you can't buy a cargo hold full of Plutonium and Uranium, if you are lucky they have 20 of one and maybe 40 of the other. What I usually do is take Merc missions in and around Troy or maybe stop at Helen, buy cheap food to sell at Hector or Achilles (love those names) and stop off at the mining outposts until I have a full load. Of course drug runs are usually profitable, though you can get dinged up at the jump points (I'll run Briliance, Ultimate, Tobacco and Plaything but I won't shoot at Confed or the militia, which can make those runs tricky since, when someone is shooting at you, you seem to hang there forever.)

Speaking of the dark side of Privateer, I just thought of something. Was Hunter breaking the law, having those cigars, or was it untaxed tobacco you were running? I noticed liquor was not on the illegal list. Finally, what about slaves? I was always annoyed that if you rescued an ejected pilot, you were considered to be trafficing in slaves, and if you didn't have the shielded compartment Confed and the Militia would come after you. I rationalized
smile.gif
the money I got when I sold the "slaves" was actually either reward money from Confed for turning in pirates or Retros, or bribe money for not turning them in. I don't like the idea of trafficing in human beings and don't like the fact that the game makes you a slaver for rescuing someone. Now if you bought slaves or kept the people you rescued after your first planet/stationfall after the rescue hoping for more money, then, yes, you are trafficking in humans. Probably too complicated to program into the game. Ay thoughts?

Very good point. I always thought they would give more options there in a Privateer 3. I thought rescuing people from merchant ships would be cool. Since there ships were just destroyed, they would probably be broke and need jobs. You could employ them to work your turret, or maybe the game would allow you to own multiple ships, which they could fly as your wingmen. You would, of course, have to look into there past a little, maybe through the merchants guild, and see if they were dependable, and it wouldn't work unless wingman AI was greatly improved, as otherwise you'd just be sending an expensive ship to its demise. You wouldn't have to rescue a person either, you could hire from the bars or something, its just I don't think I'd be willing to trust someone there to watch my back.

Privateer, IMO, has the most potential of any WC game cuz you can choose your entire life. You should be able to join Confed or the Landriech Militia or get in loads of underground activity. I imagine a game that still has the old animation sequences, so that it is very cheap to have loads of different sequences, with many different campaigns of different types so that the game had different objects depending on the life you choose and where you are at.

Not that Privateer wasn't awesome, but there is a lot more stuff that could be thrown in there. I like what Privateer 2 did with the landing sequences, showing the beauty of each world. A Priv encommpassing all of the WCU map from WCP that had something like that would be worth buying just to see beauty of the planets we risked our lives for in the main games of the series.

[This message has been edited by Wolf Dog (edited October 03, 2000).]

The first time I rescued an ejected pilot, I wondered what the person would say or do to me. Turned out it was nothing...

I know most people wouldn't do this, but I like to fly all the ships possible, so I move from the Tarsus to the Orion to the Galaxy to the Centurion. The Orion didn't seem too bad for me, but those shields, if they were ever unfortunated enough to get worn down to the skin, took forever to recharge. Once the action of the main game is over, I suppose going back to a Galaxy wouldn't be so bad. Hauling the huge amounts of cargo it could hold might not be too bad until it gets boring. Hmmm, I wonder if it might have been a good idea to decrease manoevrability as cargo increased.

Also, who gave Grayson Burrows his name, and how do we know he started in the Avalon Sector. I've got the original manual in PDF on my 'Classics' CD, but I don't recall the Avalon bit.

Also, who gave Grayson Burrows his name, and how do we know he started in the Avalon Sector. I've got the original manual in PDF on my 'Classics' CD, but I don't recall the Avalon bit.
The name comes from an ancient Origin press release about Privateer (or Trade Commander, as it was called then). You can read it for yourself, if you look up the CIC news archive for March 1999.
As for the Avalon bit, in all honesty, I don't know where I got it from
smile.gif
. When Dralthi5 asked for Grayson's story, I looked in my Priv manual PDF, and I thought I saw the name Avalon in there somewhere. Obviously, I was just seeing things since it's not there.

Heh, heh. "Trade" Commander. That would have been really cheesy.

BTW, I finally bothered to see others' profiles (always thought they'd take too long to load), I had no idea you were in Aus. And 3000+ posts since January. Or should I not take those things too seriously?

Yes... well... I'm not entirely sure if having 3000+ posts is a good thing. It seems to indicate that I spend far too much time here...
wink2.gif

And yes, I am in Australia, but as you can see, I'm... a few hundred... kilometres north of ya
smile.gif

So you're here for what, uni or something?

My mind still can't handle getting 3000 posts in ten months.

He he, Uni? I'm still in high school. No, I came to the US three years ago, and now I just live here. I went back to Poland for two months this summer though.

Yeah, I'm here for Uni. My decision was based mostly on a single factor - temperatures
biggrin.gif
. Then I found out that they actually do have a winter here at the Gold Coast... dammit, Queensland's supposed to be tropical
biggrin.gif
Still, studying here was a far better option for me than Poland...

How can you say that Q. Every one knows that the Polish educational system is the best in the world.
smile.gif

How can you say that Q. Every one knows that the Polish educational system is the best in the world.
smile.gif
Yeah, it builds character
smile.gif
. Like the Army - if you survive it, you'll be the best
wink2.gif

Back