More Bearcat action for WC4?

Lazy Panda

Spaceman
Good morning/afternoon/evening folks,

Are there any fan-made missions of such in WC4 including lots of Bearcats? The Dragon gets boring of whooping everythings' butt, so i'd like to get the one and only worthy sequel of the Excalibur into action.

Alternate suggeston: Is there a way to replace the Hellcat missions with the Bearcat flyabe? I think the BC could be athmosphere-capable (sp? true?) and carry a Camera laser.

-Thanks ahead, Lazy

Its a shame I've never flown a bearcat, I didn't find out it was flyable until after I completed WC4 and I don't have the time to play through the whole game again!

The Bearcat is a lot of fun to fly. It's too bad the path you take to get the Bearcat leaves you with a really unsatisfying ending.

IIRC, you can get either ending and still get the bearcat. I could easily be wrong, though. :p

You can get the "good" ending even if you do chose to do the Speradon mission series. You just have to pick in favor of Panther for the other big choices (I forget the details, offhand, but the outrun/flashpack Ella split is one of the other Hawk/Panther decisions).

Closest thing I've come to is replacing the Prophecy fighters with the Bearcat. Flying it during the campaign is an interesting experience - even for a superfighter only eight years old, it's a real challenge.

Mad Cow said:
The Bearcat is a lot of fun to fly. It's too bad the path you take to get the Bearcat leaves you with a really unsatisfying ending.

False.

Aron Figaro said:
I got the happy ending and flew the Bearcat. It's too bad you only get it for one mission, though...

False.

I have a dream that someday people will understand everything concerning the Bearcar in WC4.

ChrisReid said:
I have a dream that someday people will understand everything concerning the Bearcar in WC4.

I think some of the newer owners of the games have not fully fleshed out all the different combinations that are possible...take the time to replay the games and save and label all your missions...makes replaying a lot more enjoyable and easier.

The bearcat can be fun to fly on lots of different missions...a good deal more than 1 but you can find out how many by replaying

The ending of the game depends on Hawk and Panthers moral. The choice to do the Speradon series over the Circe series raises Hawk by one point -- but there's plenty of other choices to make up for that. Tell Panther "there's always hope!" and agree not to use the flashpack on Ella... you'll get the instructor ending and still be able to play the Speradon missions.

The Bearcat can be flown in any mission after it's first captured (baring the usual restructions - if the plot calls for a 'Lance or if the mission requires a 'land' fighter).

"The Bearcat can be flown in any mission after it's first captured (baring the usual restructions - if the plot calls for a 'Lance or if the mission requires a 'land' fighter)."

It's been awhile since I've played IV, but I take it that means that the BearCat isn't atmospheric capable.

Makes sense, given the design. For all that matter, who'd want that much firepower on a ground mission, anyway? :p

I'd want that much firepower on any mission, but was it just me or did the majority of my Bearcat firepower end up somehow missing the target as if the guns were placed too wide - even on well placed shots?

Continuity-wise, the restriction as to fighters for ground missions in WCIV has more to do with the fact that they didn't want to do videos for all the fighters entering and leaving the planets atmospheres...

Please get back to topic, folks. The debate is interesting, and I myself can confirm that you can get the "Panther" ending of you choose Speradon (the system with bearcats). I can get over of no athmospheric capability, I just want to know if it's possible to replace.

Thanks.

Hey hey, I have had no other ending than the instructor one. What are the other possible endings. I only ask because I have not the time to go back through it all

Lazy Panda said:
Please get back to topic, folks. The debate is interesting, and I myself can confirm that you can get the "Panther" ending of you choose Speradon (the system with bearcats).

There's no debate. This is exactly how it works:

Hawk or Panther's morale determines the Winning Endgame for Wing Commander 4. Hawk Admiral, Panther Instructor. There are three major choices that will give a +1/-1 morale modifier. They are There's Always Hope/We Die Trying, whether you attack Ella and whether you go to Circe or Speradon. Siding with either individual raises their morale while lowering the other person's. Hawk and Panther each also have three +1 or -1 solo conversations throughout the game, though you won't encounter all six on a single playthrough. Not only can you get the happy ending by going to Speradon, you can even get it by going to Speradon and delivering another blow to Panther in one of the other major conversations, so long as you boost her in all remaining solo conversations.

climber said:
Hey hey, I have had no other ending than the instructor one. What are the other possible endings. I only ask because I have not the time to go back through it all

In addition to the Admiral/Instructor winning endgames, there are Nephele Bar and Border Worlds Attack losing endgames depending on when in the plot you lose.

Lazy Panda said:
Please get back to topic, folks. The debate is interesting, and I myself can confirm that you can get the "Panther" ending of you choose Speradon (the system with bearcats). I can get over of no athmospheric capability, I just want to know if it's possible to replace.

Thanks.

What the? Not only we're all on topic, but who are you to give orders to the guys who make the site? Eu hein.

Well, Chris Reid really summarised everything about it above. And LOAF is right, you can fly the 'Cat on any mission that does not call for a specific fighter, including "Outrun Ella". BTW, it sure has the "guns to far apart" problem, I guess people forgot all the gun convergence stuff they learnt in WW2. :)

Edfilho said:
What the? Not only we're all on topic, but who are you to give orders to the guys who make the site? Eu hein.

You're right in a way, but I considered it to be a plead, not a command, less so to the honorable administrators of the site.

Edfilho said:
Well, Chris Reid really summarised everything about it above. And LOAF is right, you can fly the 'Cat on any mission that does not call for a specific fighter, including "Outrun Ella". BTW, it sure has the "guns to far apart" problem, I guess people forgot all the gun convergence stuff they learnt in WW2. :)

I never really tried, it will be a nice challenge next time I try. Should probably try downloading a "Gauntlet" mission if I want some more.

Thanks for all of it.

Yeah, in reference to the original question, I don't know that anyone has done any real work in editing WCIV missions -- WCP was out by the time anyone had figured out how to change WCIV...

Back