Monkey Island Easter egg?

-danr-

Vice Admiral
So I was casually listening to decompressed IFF files from the Standoff audio (as you do on a Friday night...) when I happened upon a ten second music clip within the TRE.

I know from my boyhood Monkey Island obsession, that this clip is of the Barbary Coast Pirates/Barbers singing to Guybrush...

"A Pirate I was meant to be...trim the sails and roam the sea.."

and I was just curious at which point this shows up in Standoff? I never found it...

Full version here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AawQvD8L_h4

:D

Easter Egg towards end of episode 1. I think the details about its location have already been stated in this forum.

Thanks - in that case I'll salvage this thread and ask a more serious question. Could somebody point me in the direction of the IFF file responsible for the Mass Driver noise? I intend to change it to the Kilrathi Saga version...

The AUDIO/SOUNDFX directory in the TRE has a number of inflight sounds, including the Particle gun noise, but curiously, not the Mass Driver effect.

PS: Iceblade, you have a good memory, it was covered in here...six years ago: http://crius.net/zone/showthread.php?t=16337

00000168.iff for standard Secret Ops.

I'm going to guess that the Standoff team didn't replace any sound files and ended up reusing the the WCSO files where possible (ie mass drivers, lasers, and ion cannons)

Thanks for the pointer - turns out that it's actually 00000152.IFF in Standoff, after some trial and error.

I like the Standoff sounds but I missed the harsh shriek of the Saga WC1 Mass Driver, makes the gun sound meatier somehow.

Conveniently, Saga has all of it's SFX in WAV format - so it was simply a matter of converting it to IFF with HCI's sound conversion tool, then placing it in the audio/soundfx directory (and telling Standoff to ignore the TRE)...voila, a 'stronger' sounding Stiletto. :D

Yeah, we only replaced some of the sounds, leaving others untouched. We only wanted to bring back the sounds that we thought were particularly memorable - and memory is subjective.

Back