Mission 9b - need help

Evan

Rear Admiral
Heyho folks, I think I need some help :).

I'm in Mission 9B where i have to defend this Avenger.

Everything's working just fine and the avenger comes back with a Vampire. Then, the Avenger's talking about returning to the dauntless, but the hydra in the background is starting thousands of wings.

Do I have to beat them or is there another possibilty?

you'll need to clear out all fighters in the nav point before it returns so you can autopilot.

Well, actually you have a minute or two after the Avenger gets back. You have to clear all the other fighters before you see any Squids. If the Squids begin to show up, you´re trapped.

Hm, that's unfair, I think, but I could manage it, thank you =).

There should be a message like "Mission failed" if you didn't get it.

I think you're supposed to realize that the mission has failed after a hundred Squids or so show up and blow your ship to kingdom come. :)

Of course, the concept would work better if a hundred Squids could actually fly worth anything.

--Eder

Originally posted by Obee
Hm, that's unfair, I think, but I could manage it, thank you =).
There should be a message like "Mission failed" if you didn't get it.

Well the mission isn't failed when the squids appear. If you are good at blasting one wave before the next one comes in you can still get out. Its just damn hard.

You can also manually try to escape.

Mmm, another thing that bugs me now that UE is out... it should have been possible to fail that mission. But back when we were first ironing out such details, having three different versions of mission 10 seemed like too much.

Originally posted by Quarto
Mmm, another thing that bugs me now that UE is out... it should have been possible to fail that mission. But back when we were first ironing out such details, having three different versions of mission 10 seemed like too much.

Well, failing the primary mission objective would have meant that the Avenger had not been able to make contact with the Eisen--if it got blown up after coming back through the jump point, it would have been a loss for the Dauntless, but it would not have affected how Mission 10 would have proceeded. The only way I could think of that happening would be to make the Avenger vulnerable to enemy fire before making the jump, and have the Nephilim trying to shoot it down for a while before it jumps, so you actually have to protect it.

So its a question of blasting everything, I'd been saving missiles and burner fuel to keep fighting, even with just lasers I was still going, I gave up after 30min, my hand cramped up:)

Well, uh, no :p. If you're in there for 30 minutes, you know something went wrong :p. Basically, after the Avenger returns, you have a limited amount of time during which no new enemies will appear. If you kill all the enemies that are around during that time period, you will be able to autopilot out. If you're too late, you're either squid-meat or get bored for half an hour as you run away manually.

Hehe, did you ever try to get out without Afterburner *sighs*.

I wished, that the Vampire would afterburn to the Dauntless and would catch reinforcements.... *g*

Back