Missiles...

DangerousCook

Rear Admiral
Since the Maniac hate thread is turning into a missile debate, I figured we should dedicate a thread to the subject.

The debate is regarding how realistic the WC4 missile damage is (since the majority of fighters get slagged with a single missile of any type)

I think on the same token, depending on which difficulty you play the game, the gun damage ratio is equally unrealistic since I often find myself plinking away at the ass end of a Hellcat for what seems like an eternity with full guns (just for reference, this is usually at "Hard" difficulty since the evasive action of enemy fighters becomes more realistic IMHO)

And one other thing, does anyone have a theory why the same decoys can throw off a missile that tracks heat signature (HS) as well as the ones that lock on to the actual image of your fighter (ImRec)?

Lastly, my most important question is regarding what type of damage ratio you guys think is most realistic since I'm currently working on my fanfic that will have much dogfighting. I'm planning on the enemy evasive actions to be based off the "Hard" difficulty settings of WC4, while gun damage will be something close to "Veteran"

Any Thoughts?

I would guess that decoys in WC3 and later are multi-functional, producing heat, radar jamming, and false IFF codes.

In comparison to WC3, the WC4 missiles definitely kill much more easily for a given armor/shield thickness. For example, a FF missile cannot kill a Darket in WC3 unless you are playing on Rookie level. Do missiles in WC4 bypass fighter shields perhaps?

I'd say they're just stronger missiles. Maybe by the end of the war, they developed some new kind of powerful missile warhead, and defense systems able to withstand it are still under research.

The trend was actually to reduce the strength of missiles and weapons after the Kilrathi War ended. Like I said in the other thread however, many had the same value. It's the ships' defensive values that varied the most.

An in-universe possible explaination might be that after the war they managed to make the computers for penetrating the existing generation of shields small and cheap enough to mount onto fighter missiles, which would let them bypass fighter shields (hence the greater damage), but by WCP the next generation of shields was on-line (as seen by the return to only torpedoes being able to damage capship components).

ChrisReid said:
The trend was actually to reduce the strength of missiles and weapons after the Kilrathi War ended. Like I said in the other thread however, many had the same value. It's the ships' defensive values that varied the most.
It makes sense that after the Kilrathi war, the Confederation would clean up its inventory, getting rid of obsolete or broken down spacecraft and removing field modifications such as extra weapon racks, non-standard shield generators and additional armor plate.

When you leave a war footing and return to a peacetime military force, effectiveness tends to take a back seat to cost-cutting through standardization.

Then again in teh Prophecy era, the alien's shield tech could be better than what the Confederation had encounter before.

Back