Milk Run...

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I were devious enough, it wouldn't be tough to just...not check out the book...

I don't know about where you are... but it's suprisingly difficult to steal library books like that here.

TC

My library sells off a huge bunch of books every month or so. They usually weed out the sci-fi stuff particularly well, but they don't have the WC stuff. I have plotted ways to get away with books, tho. They do children storytimes and shit, right? At some point while one of those is going on, take off through the fire escape. It'll set off alarms and they'll be more interested in making sure the kids get out than who opened the door. Unless your library has cameras or something.

If I was ever desperate enough to steal books, it wouldn't tough. You walk in, put it in a pocket, maybe even check something out to cover yourself. They gonna have the security guards at the front door pat you down.

Mind you, I don't condone the stealing of books. My point is that it just be incredibly easy to steal one. Same thing with a big bookstore.

See, in my library at the time it wasn't so easy. They had the books tagged and then had those detectors like they have at Blockbuster so that you can't walk out with them. The only other way out was a fire exit.

wow! You live in some type of city I imagine. Around here they just have like, stamps. I've actually forgot to check out books and leave with them before. Then when I went to return them, the Librarian yelled at me.

my towns liberary has one of those beepers too. but a video casset will set them off. and all someone has to do is walk through the enterance. i make sure those people are caught though :mad:

its not that much of a problem, atleast in my town. the system only costs about $1000cdn and the tags are about $100 for 2000. its a small price to pay.

My library has a charity booksale that's just amazing... lots and lots of stuff for very cheap -- some of it is sold off library books, but most of it is donated, IIRC. It used to be monthly, and now it's a full-time store.

I was actually there when they brought in the entire county's stock of Freedom Flights to sell off... ended up with something like seventeen copies at a quarter a piece <G>

I find it interesting that the moderators haven't already cracked down on this one. Even the smallest hint of a discussion on software piracy is quashed, but here a conversation on book theft is going on unchecked. Does this strike anybody else as wierd?

BEWARE THE DREADED CIC BOOK PIRACY CARTELS!!!!!

Originally posted by Fenris
I find it interesting that the moderators haven't already cracked down on this one. Even the smallest hint of a discussion on software piracy is quashed, but here a conversation on book theft is going on unchecked. Does this strike anybody else as wierd?

Just exactly what in this thread reminded you of warez and the illegal trafficking thereof?

[Edited by Frosty on 05-09-2001 at 00:29]

... which we pointed out to him. Doing something as pathetic as stealing library books can be warned against... it's not like someone who would normally have no interest in physically stealing something will check and go "OH, OF COURSE! I CAN ROB THE LIBRARY!" -- whereas people who have no knowledge of Warez will follow links posted...

I think buying many copies of a book or game cheap to sell to fans at horribly inflated prices is wrong..

*Looks at people on EBay*...

Nobody does that -- people usually sell their copies of a game for a normal price... and the dewmand for it makes people bid more and more. There's not a secret Kilrathi Saga cartel dolling them out slowly...

:: rubs his hands ::

Or so you're led to believe, little Bandit LOAF...

:: EVIL SMILE ::

Lt. Commander outranking Captain ?!

Back to the roots of this thread...lol

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Harcourt was a Space Forces Captain, not a Naval Captain. He commanded a Venture, which is essentially a large fighter... a Naval Captain would be far too valuable to assign to such a ship.

I beg to differ. A corvette is a CapShip. It has the necessary amenities like bunks, showers, a mess, pantry and so on and more than fore personnel. I think the largest Fighter in the WC universe is the Broadsword.

Harcourt wasn't a Space Force Captain, since all the others have naval ranks (or he has a very strange mixed crew):

page 24: "...my first officer, Lieutenant Janice Grounder...my astrogator, Ensign Morlock Barnes...my Damage Control Officer, Chief Petty Officer Darlene Coriander..."

There is another thing which points in the same direction:

page 27: "...She wasn't about to throw her whole career away because some middle-aged idiot wouldn't listen to her, a middle-aged idiot who hadn't even be able to win commander's rank,..."

How could Harcourt get promoted to commander if he is no Navy Officer?

I think Stasheff made a little mistake here, but I although agree with Bandit LOAF that this book has a very dense WC atmosphere...one of my favourites...

I have just posted a thread with all the military ranks for reference ;-)

[Edited by truesilver on 05-11-2001 at 06:11]

Re: Lt. Commander outranking Captain ?!

Originally posted by truesilver
Back to the roots of this thread...lol
(...)
page 27: "...She wasn't about to throw her whole career away because some middle-aged idiot wouldn't listen to her, a middle-aged idiot who hadn't even be able to win commander's rank,..."

How could Harcourt get promoted to commander if he is no Navy Officer?
(...)

But if he was a Navy Captain than a "promotion" to Commander would be a demotion, since a Navy Commander is lower than a Navy Captain.
But I agree that the author certainly just everything up or he wanted to use the most cool-sounding ranks. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back