Milk Run...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dralthi5

Spaceman
I just reread it again today, and I must say: Did Christopher Stasheff understand the ranking system?

Not to be disparaging or anything, but on page 24: Yes, a lieutenant commander outranked a captain... I mean, what's up with that? We all know a captain is higher than a lt. commander, unless, of course, he meant a Space Force captain, but why would Harcourt be a Space Force captain and commanding a naval ship?

Also...

On page 26: Of course, the admiral might bust him back down to private.... Private's not a navy rank. Even if Harcourt is in the Space Force, which seems unlikely, private's not even a Space Force rank, either. Plus, and I know Stasheff probably wrote it facetiously, but can an officer be "busted back down" to private? I mean, privates are enlisted men, after all.

Maybe I'm thinking too hard, but whatever. Anybody wish to reply?

Harcourt was a Space Forces Captain, not a Naval Captain. He commanded a Venture, which is essentially a large fighter... a Naval Captain would be far too valuable to assign to such a ship.

The latter is simply a fairly common expression.

Wow... "Milk Run"?
I have no idea what you're talking about, Dralthi5... care to explain to a poor ignorant like me? :)

What was with that book? The layout was weird, since both authors had different voices. Hell, the first half sounded NOTHING like a WC novel. There was no real WC flavor to it...

Still, a good read, though not as good as WC Fleet Action!

:D

Actually, I thought it seemed a lot *more* like a WC novel than anything else... from reading it in the order it was printed, it was much more like Freedom FLight and the WC1/2 writing than any of Forstchen's stuff is.

I'm not as well versed with pre-WC3 as most people, I appologise for being ignorant. I've read all the novels though, and the 3 definitive books to me are WC3, 4 and Fleet Action. Runner-up is Action Stations...

WC was a lot more *innocent* before Fleet Action... Milk Run seems to fit its original mood a lot better than Forstchen's heavily-political stuff does.

Agreed on the "Innocence" ideal, LOAF...still, I liked most of Forstchen's political ideals...

Yeah, Forstchen really added an intensly gloomy side to things. Freedom Flight was kinda fun, in a "all these aliens are gonna die" kinda way. But overall it did seem more like something we would have seen in a game than Forstchen's stuff.

While reading the WC4 novel, I was almost ashamed at what humanity had become. Both Confed and Black Lance. In the games, it was always sort of "we might be loosing, but hey, we're humans! We kick ass!"

Overall, the WC Universe would not be somewhere I would want to be. Pre-war, maybe. but from about Action Stations on, no thank you.

I'd do it, if I knew someone like Tolwyn was in charge! I'd follow him to my grave, just like MacArthur...

Oh, I love Forstchen's books -- I find them very compelling... and they still have that pulp quality that make me love WC originally.

As for Freedom Flight being like WC... that's because it was written by Ellen Guon, who did the story for SM2 and WC2.

I may never forgive her for the creation of the Firerekaas or however you spell them. I dunno, when I found out about them, I thought it tainted the series with...bad...things...

Or those, yeah...

I thought the war should remain Kilrathi\Terran

I liked the beginning of End Run, it was the first WC book I had read (I know I should of read Freedom Flight first, so shoot me) and it was the reason I got all the others.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Oh, I love Forstchen's books -- I find them very compelling... and they still have that pulp quality that make me love WC originally.

As for Freedom Flight being like WC... that's because it was written by Ellen Guon, who did the story for SM2 and WC2.

I thought Mercedes Lackey wrote FF.

My personel favorates are End Run and Action Stations, with False Colors running close behind. Okay, so that's almost all the WC books I've read...I admit. I'm a sucker. I'll buy anything with WC on it. AND I DIDN'T EVEN BUY THE BOOKS! I BORROWED THEM FROM THE LIBRARY! ARGH!!!!!

Eh...sorry 'bout that. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back